1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

adq, if you're getting the bag that was part of their Indigo capsule, then it's going to be a lighter weight version than the standard briefcase twill.
    This navy one (not to be confused with indigo) one is what I'm suggesting should be exactly like their brown/tan/otter green versions: http://www.unionmadegoods.com/filson_Original_Briefcase_in_Navy_7856.html

2. sputnikmoment

sputnikmoment Member

Anyone has the Rugged Twill & Leather Medium Field Bag? Hows the leather flap? I guess its no longer waterproof then?

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Right, but I think that Tomatic was referring to the Unionmade one and not the Apolis one as he quoted someone referring to the Unionmade one.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. tomatic

tomatic Senior member

I was actually referring to the original navy/blue edition with the cream/bright leather. I also own the Apolis which is indeed made of thinner canvas but after I've waxed it and added a handle grip I'm very happy with it.

5. wunnaz

wunnaz Well-Known Member

hello everyone, Merry X-mas...!!!
    i wanna ask about Filson x Levis Jacket (Black).
    Which online shop can i order and ship to Singapore?
    When i check in the filson official site, they charge about 170$ for shipping fees.
    Sorry if my post is off topic.
    Thanks.

6. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Just picked up the below with 20% off. Looking forward to having a new gym bag.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  7. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

I've spoken with quite a few people at Filson about this. The general consensus is a brush and light water. Absolutely soap. Filson bags get dirty, stained, and worn- that's one of the beauties of owning one. It's like a vintage instrument- I'd take the feel of a beat up and well played 60 year old tele or les paul over a shiny new one any day!

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks for your input, but I have a feeling ivanswk was looking for a different look/use for this bag and was not looking for a SAB replacement and probably won't be heartbroken.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

you're an asshole

10. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I got my first Filson bag for Christmas, a tan #257 laptop briefcase and I love it.

1 person likes this.
  11. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Quit being a dick. This is a Filson thread. Not a "tell me that my stuff is inferior" to another brand thread.

Also, people buy Filson, not only because it's extremely durable, but they also have some of the best customer service around. Oh, and its made in the good old USA.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. althanis

althanis Senior member

I also think you're an asshole. You seem to be one of those people that can't enjoy something unless you let other people know you have it?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  13. daghoi

daghoi Member

Back to topic. :)

Her's my Otter Green 70256, christmas gift to myself :) I'ts my first Filson product. Reading this thread to get info on what to choose, 70256/7 and which color. The green color is nicer in reality than in pictures. Dark green, would not be afraid that it is "to green". When it comes to size, I will chime in with previous posters. 70256 will be large enough for most people for their day to day activites to work.

Only minor concern is that the leather seems a bit dry and stiff, will find som stuff to apply.

Sorry about the chair....

[​IMG]

With my 15' T500 Lenovo (and power cord) inside:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  14. poena

poena Senior member

I agree that the leather does feel a bit dry when new. Let me know what you go with to moisturize? I have Obenauf's at home I could try.

I used the 257 on travel as a carry on and it was nice. A bit heavy when loaded to carry on the shoulder though.

As a daily carry into work it's a bit big as I don't carry much to and from work. (sometimes lunch, water, tablet, umbrella)

15. daghoi

daghoi Member

I used Mink Oil, it's what i had for hand. Applied a thin layer to start with.

16. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I highly recommend Obenauf's. Filson's leather seems to love it.

17. poena

poena Senior member

How do you guys apply it to the straps? Both sides?

18. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Fingers. Both sides, taking care not to get any on the cloth. Wipe off excess.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  19. daghoi

daghoi Member

+1
    Fingers and both sides. Improved instantly , guess I will see the final result tomorow.

20. Tugman

Tugman Member

Okay, Gents...
    I'm truly torn and would love some qualified opinions...
    I am building a new camera bag using a padded DSLR insert. I'm trying to decide between the Medium Field Bag and the Small Field bag. I've found inserts that would fit either.
    I typically shoot a Canon 5D, using both the standard lens and a 300mm, so I need some volume, but I don't want more bag than I need.

Thoughts...