1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Nice, I want that union made one.. I had the urban one for a hot second now that I remember. It sorta reminded me of a purse :eek: Maybe i should get something with a shoulder bag..

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

After that baby is broken in, after a few years, you will love the heck out of that.

I recently bought a vintage example of one of those. I cleaned it up with Lexol conditioner, dropped a ton of Leatherique into it and let stand for a week. After that I applied a couple of good coats of Lexol conditioner and after a couple more days I applied a final finishing layer of Saphir neutral shoe polish. The result is one well broken in briefcase that looks great and should last for a good few years yet!

I'd post photos, but we are a few thousand miles apart at the moment.

4. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Could it be the small carry on - #240?

Images including packing - http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b68069066

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

From http://www.davidmorgan.com/filsonmaterials.html

Filson's Tin Cloth, so-called because garments made from it are as waterproof and wear resistant as if they were made of tin, has long been recognized in the Northwest as setting the standard for protection and wear resistance. The material, a 100% cotton duck, is offered in two distinctly different finishes, an oil finish and a dry finish, and now in both the traditional 12.5 ounce Duck and the newer lighter weight 8.5 ounce Shelter Cloth, named after military shelter tents. Shelter cloth is softer than the Tin Cloth, and does not require breaking in as does the stiffer Tin Cloth material.

The oil finish provides the greatest protection and wear. The cotton duck is impregnated with a paraffin-based wax, creating a finished 12.5 ounce fabric that is highly water repellent and wind resistant. The greater wear resistance of the oil finish is accounted for by the wax reducing internal wear in the fabric as threads slip against each other. The oil finish Tin Cloth (12.5 ounce) and Shelter Cloth (8.5 ounce) have not been preshrunk and may shrink with repeated soaking in the rain. If you intend using your oil finish garment primarily as wet weather gear, order one size larger than normal to accommodate shrinkage. If you intend using it under dry conditions for its great durability, your normal size will be better.

Filson's Rugged Twill Luggage is made from a special 22 ounce 100% cotton twill, a heavier and stronger version of the legendary oil finish Tin Cloth. It is durable and breathable, impregnated with wax to make it water resistant and protect against wear.

6. JacekZ

JacekZ New Member

Hi milw50717,

Thank you for the tip but this feels too small for my needs. It looks like after putting in laptop -if it would fit in- there would be not much place left.

7. tomatic

tomatic Senior member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. adg

adg Member

Has anyone seen the Unionmade Filson Large Briefcase in Indigo in person? I ordered one and it should arrive on Friday. I'm hoping the bag is on-par with regular Filson products as far as quality goes. If the Briefcase is like the tote, I'm guessing the leather will be inferior and that the canvas will attract dust, like tomatic mentioned?

I also have an Archival Clothing Large Field Bag (http://store.archivalclothing.com/products/archival-field-bag-large-black) in Black coming on Friday. I'm hoping one of these bags will work for me as a day bag and to carry my laptop. I bought a Waterfield Sleevecase to put in whichever I keep. Once I have both bags, I'll post some pictures.

9. Tugman

Tugman Member

My apologies...I was trying for the Small Duffle, (Filson 220)....

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So who's going to be the first one to order the Oil Cloth briefcase?

11. krafty

krafty Member

Waiting for filson 230 to have sales.

Which color to recommend? ottergreen or tan ^^

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Over time I think I would prefer the tan. My otter green 256 just seems to be fading.

13. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

Inferior? Thinner? Wut? Should be the same specs as the other 3 colors.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Sometimes the third-party make ups are made to a different standard. For example, I have been told the Apolis/Filson black 256 is actually made with a different, thinner, material than the rugged twill that the Filson is typically made from.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  15. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

I got the OG since it's my EDC and I figure it will get dirty faster so I wanted the darker colour to help it from looking too beat up. I also didn't go with the tan because I feel like it stands out more than the OG.

16. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

This is correct, but the conversation was revolving around Unionmade's new navy offerings (the Filson 256 and one of the totes), which should be exactly like the other colors in terms of build and quality since they're not collabs or anything.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

didn't someone say they were getting the unionmade bag today?

18. adg

adg Member

That was me, and I should be getting the bag (and an Archival Clothing field bag) tomorrow, assuming weather doesn't interfere.

I hope haiglarsen is right. I won't know how the Unionmade compares to regular Filson as I don't currently own any Filson.

Either way, I'll definitely post some pictures and impressions of both bags.

19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

^ would be much appreciated