1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Yeah, Nordstrom has a couple additional colors as well. They have the ‘Sepia’ which is like a darker tan and ‘Natural’ which is the white like in the Namanica series. Super cool. I saw the white one at the nyc flagship and was very impressed.

I really like the concept of getting a collection of all 1 color. If they didn’t everything in the denim I would be tempted!

2. FilsonDude

FilsonDude Active Member

It also has a longer body and also additional pockets and organizers in the main compartment.

3. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Awesome collection you have now. I am actually a fan of Cinder. It’s a nice cross between blue & grey.
    I see you ended up going with the much larger Filson Travel Kit. Way bigger in person I found, especially compared to what I use now, the Harry’s Travel Kit. I could probably get away storing that in the top part of my 257.

4. CCF

CCF Member

I still have the Harry's coming in the mail! The Filson Travel Kit was a spur of the moment "only bought it because I was in the store and they had one left and it looked really good in person". I plan to use my Harry's regularly.

5. OtterMeanGreen

Don’t get me wrong The Filson Travel Kit is certainly a nice piece, and one that is nearly as old (or as old) as the Rugged Twill Luggage line. I had more then considered one for awhile, but after handling one in person, I don’t think I’d be able to get away using it, unless i had a suitcase or a large duffel. You won’t go wrong with the Harry’s kit; not much out there offers such quality for under $25.

6. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior Member

The sepia color is really nice looking in person. They're only aged two and five, but I'm thinking about getting ly girls wach a bandera backpack from Filson. The red is at what was once called Sierra Trading Post for $99 so I'm going to see if I can find anyone to price match in a different color.

7. CCF

CCF Member

Does anyone have a Filson bag with an off centered button on the snap closure for the storm flap? The one on my new 256 is slightly off centered and I cant decide if this is a common enough occurrence to over look or if I should ask Filson to center it.

8. OtterMeanGreen

Can you snap a photo so we can see what we’re working with here. I’d imagine the older Talon Era versions might be more prone to this oversight, as that was the time before Filson’s mass production line implementations and bags had unique designer idiosyncratic imperfections that really can’t be mimicked these days.

Take my suede underside of my 1990’s Talon #257. As you can see it’s not applied evenly. Some would call this a defect; I call it unique.

81837214-E857-40B7-A7BE-36FDE0ABE614.jpeg

63157F7A-7739-4A57-BA32-6F64DEAE87F8.jpeg

9. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

It’s extremely common, see it all the time. Here’s my current daily carry.

E14937DA-FA65-46C0-AF4B-4F4E22F42B39.jpeg

10. CCF

CCF Member

I will get some pics uploaded later on when I am back near the bag, but it looks exactly like the picture @TinMan3 uploaded.

11. OtterMeanGreen

So my packages arrived today and I wanted to share them with you guys & gals. I returned my $135 Filson Mackinaw Vest and spent around $165 total for both items shipped

Item #1:

1969 Gap Kaihara Japanese Selvedge Denim. I first tried them on before my long walk to meet @mgrennier & @Davey13 at Filson NYC. I instantly fell in love with how they felt, as they are my very first Selvedge Raw denim that I tried on. One of the best things about them is that they are cut with different inseams and a straight fit, not a big fan of tapered/slim cuts myself. Plus I’m not fond of cuffing yet; maybe in the future I’ll warm up to it.

They’re crazy stiff on me lol...a weird feeling for me at first. I paid $63.72 ($116 retail)

F2B6FA00-25CF-4D79-9258-236FFFFB0908.jpeg

Copper Rivets

0A8D27B1-1F8F-4173-A343-9D9E282B4D64.jpeg

976B1523-ED2E-4EB9-9A1E-94FBC71DA7FA.jpeg

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=374810002

Item #2:

Tanner Goods Natural 1.50” Belt made with tooling leather, the same leather utilized on my Tanner Goods wallet. Can’t wait to see the leather age and transition in color. Like the Denim, I opted for Copper Hardware. I think it looks amazing when compared to the Natural leather.

I paid $101.50 (with shipping). Used a 10% coupon code.

https://www.tannergoods.com/collections/belts/products/standard-belt-natural-copper-1

55D87764-6E5F-414F-8BD5-9B1972FAC681.jpeg

I’ve seen pictures of hulk matter forming on Tanner’s copper hardware...bring it on baby!

6277A438-087B-4BEB-B00E-9FBFBEBDD376.jpeg

E568E592-6BEF-4DB8-B4C5-6CCE285946FA.jpeg

C21596C9-8913-4766-85BB-81608B2C6A73.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019 at 9:04 PM