• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

filson 257 (laptop briefcase) vs. 240 (small carry-on)

korce

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a Filson bag - either the #257 (Large Briefcase/Computer Bag) or the #240 (Small Carry-on).

257:

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

240:

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

I want to be able to use it for my Computer & Notepad, Textbooks, etc. during the week (I'm a student), but also want to use it as an everyday "miscellaneous" bag, and be able to stuff it with clothes for use as a small weekend bag on out-of-town trips (or as a carry-on for flights).

I like the look of the small carry-on better (it's more rugged & outdoorsy), but am leaning toward the briefcase because of the slightly bigger size and functionality.

Which bag do fellow SF'ers think I should get?!!

converge

Reaction score
How do you plan on carrying it? If you're ever going to use it with a suit, I'd suggest the first bag because it has the dual handles. It seems like it would be easier to carry one-handed. If you're going to carry it over-the-shoulder, I'd get the second bag.

korce

Reaction score
I'll be carrying it mostly over-the-shoulder. I don't wear suits too often - though I do like the versatility of having dual handles and a shoulder strap.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the 240 and the 258 (larger version of 257). The 240 is great as a day bag but terrible as a laptop bag unless you have a tiny computer. It's shapeless and has no interior compartments or padding.

korce

Reaction score
Thanks - Yes I was just able to fit my 15" macbookpro (w/ sleeve) into the #240. There was a bit of room left for other books and things - but not much.

Sounds like the 257 it is - as much as I prefer the "rugged" look of the 240.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
Thanks - Yes I was just able to fit my 15" macbookpro (w/ sleeve) into the #240. There was a bit of room left for other books and things - but not much.

Sounds like the 257 it is - as much as I prefer the "rugged" look of the 240.

How were you able to fit it in the 240 with a sleeve? It measures 15" total (not sure if that is inside or out? Must be a tight fit. I just bought the medium field bag, which is 14 inches (the exact measurement of the laptop width) and there is no way in hell it's fitting. I will have to send it back. Sucks because I love the bag, but really need to be able to fit my laptop in it.

korce

Reaction score
It was a squeeze to fit my 15" macbookpro in the small carry-on (w/ sleeve) but it did fit. There wasn't much room left in width (b/c my sleeve is quite thick), but the laptop did fit in it. For reference, my sleeve, with the laptop inside it, is almost 16" wide. I have a "marware" sleeve (w/ handles and buckles for a shoulder strap). I suppose it might have been fitting on a slight diagonal, hence the loss of width in the bag, but it was definitely in there!

fuego!

Reaction score
I am looking for a bag myself and I must say that if it was within my budget I would get the 257 myself!

Really a nice looking manbag.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuego!
I am looking for a bag myself and I must say that if it was within my budget I would get the 257 myself!

Really a nice looking manbag.

For those looking to buy the Filson 257, shop here! (I'm not sure about the other Filson styles.)
http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=287&page=1

Here's why:

When you add the 257 to your cart it magically gives you a discount of $50 for no reason. I purchased mine last week and I know a couple of other SF members did as well. (Shipping is very quick also.)

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
For those looking to buy the Filson 257, shop here! (I'm not sure about the other Filson styles.)
http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=287&page=1

Here's why:

When you add the 257 to your cart it magically gives you a discount of $50 for no reason. I purchased mine last week and I know a couple of other SF members did as well. (Shipping is very quick also.)

Great website! Thanks for sharing.

fuego!

Reaction score
Crap, looks like a I am getting a new bag....

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
For those looking to buy the Filson 257, shop here! (I'm not sure about the other Filson styles.) http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=287&page=1 Here's why: When you add the 257 to your cart it magically gives you a discount of $50 for no reason. I purchased mine last week and I know a couple of other SF members did as well. (Shipping is very quick also.)
Yup, I got my mackinaw cruiser from Crane's as well at a nice discount (about $60 IIRC). The "add to cart" discount is on all Filson luggage (and probably other Filson items too) from what I can tell. Maybe we should be asking for an extra SF forum 20% off for all the business!?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL! I don't think I can do an additional 20 off and get away with it. Well that might not be entirely true..... We have been known to do blowouts, seasonal things and just because we can special deals.

My affiliate threads are getting worked on and then the discount codes cometh. Stay tuned.

PittDoc

Reaction score
I am bringing this thread up again b/c my needs are slightly different than the OP.

This bag will be strictly for travel, which is about 100 days/year. Need something that will pass as a "personal item" on both domestic and international flights, in addition to my IATA regulation roll aboard. Any of these three cases should pass but what I don't know is if they will fit my stuff... 1) 15" Mac laptop w/ charger, 2) DSLR camera w/ extra telephoto lens, 3) a few files, book, Moleskine, 4) misc small cables and travel gear. Upon arrival I need this case to work both as a business briefcase and an over the shoulder camera case for tourist activity.

One key issue is whether or not the 257 and 258 have dividers that are attached at the sides but not at the bottom, allowing for thick items like a bulky camera or some extra clothes.

I love my Filson duffel but am open to other similar brands too (Billingham, Brady).

chiamdream

Reaction score
I have the 257 and can verify that the dividers are not attached at the bottom. It holds a tremendous amount of stuff for its size, and if you didn't have the camera/lens stipulation I'd recommend it, but I think things are going to be really tight with all that. Packing and unpacking would be a real feat as well, because the zippered "mouth" doesn't open very wide.

FWIW, I think the 257 is pretty awkward with the shoulder strap, I always carry it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads