• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson 240 Small Carry-On Bag: Can I fit my 15" MacBook Pro Inside?

themainewoods

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been looking around for this answer everywhere -- I found one other post here that addressed it but not completely.

Basically, I'm obsessed with the Filson 240 small carry-on bag. It's everything that I've been looking for in a messenger bag with one small caveat: I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my 15" macbook pro inside. I'm not planning on using a massive sleeve with it, either a WaterField sleevecase or an incase sleeve.

The bag itself is listed as 15" wide, and my MacBook Pro is listed as 14.3 or so inches on the Apple site. I'd love to be able to use this bag as an every day work bag. Do any of you 240 owners have experience with this? Pictures/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. It won't fit.

Get a smaller MacBook or get the 256. Better yet, get the 257.

bbhewee

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. It would be a tight fit thought as far as i can tell.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
No. It won't fit.

Get a smaller MacBook or get the 256. Better yet, get the 257.

Wrong, the 240 bows out slightly to about 15-16 inches. It will likely fit.

themainewoods

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. It would be a tight fit thought as far as i can tell.

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 240 is not a small bag. The "medium field bag" (open top, smaller) is the one which borders on too small for business use.

themainewoods

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Just tried. Fits pretty easily. The small carryon is bigger than you'd think.

That is fantastic news -- thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Were you using a sleeve with the MacBook Pro when you put it in? And did it have a reasonable amount of give on both sides to ensure a flat, straight, not diagonal fit?

themainewoods

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
The 240 is not a small bag. The "medium field bag" (open top, smaller) is the one which borders on too small for business use.

Going by dimensions, 15" wide is exactly what I'm looking for -- not too big for a 5'9" frame and not too small. I actually just discovered the small carry-on last night and it looks to be Filson's general purpose "messenger bag." But I don't hear too many people talking about it as a daily use bag, which is odd because it's so cool looking and carries the Filson name.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the 240 every day, however, I have a smaller laptop.

Honestly I think the 25X series briefcases are more practical, in particular the 256. But that's another topic..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by themainewoods
That is fantastic news -- thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Were you using a sleeve with the MacBook Pro when you put it in? And did it have a reasonable amount of give on both sides to ensure a flat, straight, not diagonal fit?

It went in easily, with a sleeve. The bag is a soft bag, and has a lot of give on the sides. It's not a hard side briefcase or anything like that. I use a Krane bag more often, but I do like the Filson for durability.

Cheers,

Fok.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Tried as well. It fits comfortably.

themainewoods

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I use the 240 every day, however, I have a smaller laptop.

Honestly I think the 25X series briefcases are more practical, in particular the 256. But that's another topic..

Good point! It's actually between this and the 257 for me. The thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the squareness of the 257. I just love the look of the 240 so much. It has a handle too, which is awesome.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
It went in easily, with a sleeve. The bag is a soft bag, and has a lot of give on the sides. It's not a hard side briefcase or anything like that. I use a Krane bag more often, but I do like the Filson for durability.

Cheers,

Fok.

Originally Posted by bbhewee
Tried as well. It fits comfortably.

Fantastic. Thanks again! What do you generally carry in yours? One last question, is the opening of the bag big enough to slide the MacBook Pro straight down in without having to put one side of the MacBook Pro in, push it in and then sort of bring the other side of the fabric over the Macbook pro? I basically want to have it sitting in the floor and just pull the Macbook pro straight up and out of the bag opening with one hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads