Filson 240 Small Carry-On Bag: Can I fit my 15" MacBook Pro Inside?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by themainewoods, Oct 21, 2010.

1. themainewoods

themainewoods Member

Hey everyone,

I've been looking around for this answer everywhere -- I found one other post here that addressed it but not completely.

Basically, I'm obsessed with the Filson 240 small carry-on bag. It's everything that I've been looking for in a messenger bag with one small caveat: I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my 15" macbook pro inside. I'm not planning on using a massive sleeve with it, either a WaterField sleevecase or an incase sleeve.

The bag itself is listed as 15" wide, and my MacBook Pro is listed as 14.3 or so inches on the Apple site. I'd love to be able to use this bag as an every day work bag. Do any of you 240 owners have experience with this? Pictures/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

No. It won't fit.

Get a smaller MacBook or get the 256. Better yet, get the 257.

3. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. It would be a tight fit thought as far as i can tell.

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

No. It won't fit.

Get a smaller MacBook or get the 256. Better yet, get the 257.

Wrong, the 240 bows out slightly to about 15-16 inches. It will likely fit.

5. themainewoods

themainewoods Member

I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. It would be a tight fit thought as far as i can tell.

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just tried. Fits pretty easily. The small carryon is bigger than you'd think.

8. pebblegrain

The 240 is not a small bag. The "medium field bag" (open top, smaller) is the one which borders on too small for business use.

9. themainewoods

themainewoods Member

Just tried. Fits pretty easily. The small carryon is bigger than you'd think.

That is fantastic news -- thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Were you using a sleeve with the MacBook Pro when you put it in? And did it have a reasonable amount of give on both sides to ensure a flat, straight, not diagonal fit?

10. themainewoods

themainewoods Member

The 240 is not a small bag. The "medium field bag" (open top, smaller) is the one which borders on too small for business use.

Going by dimensions, 15" wide is exactly what I'm looking for -- not too big for a 5'9" frame and not too small. I actually just discovered the small carry-on last night and it looks to be Filson's general purpose "messenger bag." But I don't hear too many people talking about it as a daily use bag, which is odd because it's so cool looking and carries the Filson name.

11. pebblegrain

I use the 240 every day, however, I have a smaller laptop.

Honestly I think the 25X series briefcases are more practical, in particular the 256. But that's another topic..

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That is fantastic news -- thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Were you using a sleeve with the MacBook Pro when you put it in? And did it have a reasonable amount of give on both sides to ensure a flat, straight, not diagonal fit?

It went in easily, with a sleeve. The bag is a soft bag, and has a lot of give on the sides. It's not a hard side briefcase or anything like that. I use a Krane bag more often, but I do like the Filson for durability.

Cheers,

Fok.

13. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

Tried as well. It fits comfortably.

14. wolfHFAC

wolfHFAC Active Member

let's see some pics of your bag

15. themainewoods

themainewoods Member

I use the 240 every day, however, I have a smaller laptop.

Honestly I think the 25X series briefcases are more practical, in particular the 256. But that's another topic..

Good point! It's actually between this and the 257 for me. The thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the squareness of the 257. I just love the look of the 240 so much. It has a handle too, which is awesome.

It went in easily, with a sleeve. The bag is a soft bag, and has a lot of give on the sides. It's not a hard side briefcase or anything like that. I use a Krane bag more often, but I do like the Filson for durability.

Cheers,

Fok.

Tried as well. It fits comfortably.

Fantastic. Thanks again! What do you generally carry in yours? One last question, is the opening of the bag big enough to slide the MacBook Pro straight down in without having to put one side of the MacBook Pro in, push it in and then sort of bring the other side of the fabric over the Macbook pro? I basically want to have it sitting in the floor and just pull the Macbook pro straight up and out of the bag opening with one hand.