1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filling in the new wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Off My Rack, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

I'm resetting my entire closet, and I know what my next two suits will be, but I'm unsure of the order and configuration of those purchases. My closet (out of the stuff I'm keeping) includes:
    - Wool 2B SB Navy Birdseye Samuelsohn Suit
    - Wool/Linen Mix 2B SB Tan Samuelsohn Suit
    - Linen 2/3 SB Light Grey SC Angelo Nardelli (not sure if anyone recognizes the maker here - full canvassed, unlined beauty)
    - Wool 2B SB Medium Brown with Blue windowpane unlined SC with 4B SB waistcoat made by Crittenden Sport
    - Wool 2B SB Navy with riddish-orange SC - BB Fitzgerald
    - Wool/Linen 2B SB Light grey (has a tweed look) with pink thread woven in SC - BB Regent

I know that my next two suits will come from Samuelsohn, and one will be charcoal herringbone and the other a medium grey sharkskin. Both will also be 3-piece, with lapels on the waistcoat.

My questions are:
    1. Which comes first? My thought is to do the charcoal first. They'll likely come 6 months apart.
    2. I want to go SB on one waistcoat and DB on the other. Which waistcoat should go with each fabric?
    3. Can you really do a shawl lapel on the waistcoat when your suit is a notch lapel?
    4. Any other suggestions for additions to the wardrobe?

Also, if anyone could post pics of their DB waistcoats with SB suits, I would appreciate it. I feel like I need to see it in action before I can pull the trigger. A previous thread had some, but the suits are quite dark, and its tough (on my monitor at least) to see much detail.

Thanks guys

2. Off My Rack

Okay, so no responses?

I was just told by the wife this morning that I have no choice but to buy a new Sammy in the next 2 weeks, as we have 2 family weddings to attend, and she doesn't want me to wear my Navy suit to both.

So, I'm thinking mid-grey first, with the charcoal coming in the fall. Any thoughts? Style of vest to go with a mid-grey sharkskin fabric? 2 button, or 3/2?

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your plan sounds fine but the idea that you can't wear the same navy suit to two different family weddings is uniquely female.

4. Off My Rack

Yeah, I tried explaining that to her, saying that a different shirt, tie, shoes, etc can make it a completely different look. She disagreed. I argued very briefly, as I win by losing the argument - who on here would argue with your wife telling you that you have to spend ~ $1200 on a new suit?

Any thoughts on the styling of the vest for a mid-grey fabric? DB vest? Shawl or notch lapel?

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, fair enough, you do make out well on the deal. Personally I like a single-breasted lapel-less vest. But I'll let wiser heads than me tell you what the "rules" are if any regarding vest stylings...I have very little experience with anything but the SB no-lapel style.

6. Thadacta

Thadacta New Member

How are you built? depending on that I would rec dif vest styles and coat styles

7. Off My Rack

I'm 6'2", about 190. Pretty standard athletic build for a 42L - Most stuff fits me well off the rack. My only problem is that I'm in between a lot of 42R and 42L. I've got about 10-15 pounds to get rid of, but nothing that really changes the look of what I'd wear.