Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filipino Food, A question...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Nomad39, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Nomad39

Nomad39 Member

What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

Andrew Zimmern has mentioned that he believes Filipino cuisine is the next big thing for the US food scene. Having grown up eating Filipino dishes and believing that it does have a lot to offer I don't see this happening.

As much as I love my culture's food it's not the most sophisticated cuisine. I liken it to soul food of the south. It's comfort food. I noticed many restaurants trying to "elevate" it by trying to make it fancy food. I think this is the wrong approach. It's not meant to be eaten this way. To truly elevate a filipino dish, all that's truly needed would be to use the best ingredients possible.

2. SField

SField Distinguished Member

Well, he might be right but there's another reason why he really could be wrong. It has always been available in LA and people who eat ethnic food might get into it, but the tides of middle of the road to entry level dining are changing again, away from comfort food to stuff that isn't as heavy. I really could be wrong but I'm guessing that the increase in Mediterranean and korean might overshadow fatty comfort food which had the spotlight for a while.

3. Nomad39

Nomad39 Member

I agree that Korean is up right now but even Roy Choi admits that Filipino food hasn't taken off because it hasn't been interpreted yet for the western palate.

4. SField

SField Distinguished Member

No it hasn't, but it might not take off immediately even if it does. Korean food is bold in flavor but a lot of it comes from spice and acid. Filipino food is a lot of pork and fried stuff, which white people have already been exposed to ad nauseum with the whole gastropub thing that is thank god finally dying down.

5. Nomad39

Nomad39 Member

I agree. Different type of spices and seasoning is not readily used.

Dishes are pretty much limited to soy sauce, viegar, salt, garlic, and peppar with the occasional bay leaf or coconut milk.

The flavors are often one note and lack depth of flavor compared to great cuisines such as Indian, Thai, Chinese.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

What is Filipino cuisine exactly and how is it differentiated enough to warrant attention? Seems to me that outside of fertilized eggs it's pretty much stolen from everyone from the Chinese to the Portagees.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Oh.. You mean like Mericun.

8. Piobaire

Bingo.

9. Nomad39

Nomad39 Member

surprisingly the two countries that influence it the most is mexico and malay region.

10. iDoc

iDoc Senior Member

11. Nomad39

Nomad39 Member

yep im familiar with those restaurants and agree they do a good job reinterpreting filipino cuisine to the american palate.

heres the mexican connection. theres alot of dishes that mexicans have that are similar to filipino dishes.

I went to a mexican supermarket one time and was surprised to see and try an exact copy of nilaga.

http://passionatefoodie.blogspot.com/2012/07/zocalo-celebrating-manila-to-acapulco.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/the...rican-connection-the-wonders-of-miscegenation

http://wisemonkeys.ca/2011/05/filipino-tamales-a-mexican-connection/

http://www.pilipino-express.com/his...25-mexico-is-not-just-a-town-in-pampanga.html

12. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

the manila-acapulco galleon trade route from the mid 1500s to the early 1800s was kind of a big deal back then

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

13. Piobaire

Well, the term "Mexi-Asian" did not invent itself.

14. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

have todisagree: the most influential cuisine would be spanish and chinese.