• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filene's Wedding dress craze

johnw86

Reaction score
The Filene's Basement is having its annual wedding dress stampede today (covered by all the local TV stations--boy do they understand the meaning of "news"). It did start me wondering, though...

For which items of clothing would you get up early and stand in line for hours to purchase? What price would make it worthwhile?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Borrelli suit for $50.
biggrin.gif
Jon.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we closed one of our children's closeout shops the lines were literally 90 minutes to 2 hours long, partly because we were understaffed and partly because the lines were that long.

At the end of the line after waiting about 90 minutes came a woman with one sweater marked down to about 10 dollars from 100. She came to the register and at that point defended herself saying "I know I am crazy, just one Item and I dont know why I am here."

Its a mentality, almost as you put it "stampede like" and sometimes it defies logic. It gets exacerbated by the fact that hey...EVERYBODY'S DOIN IT.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we closed one of our children's closeout shops the lines were literally 90 minutes to 2 hours long, partly because we were understaffed and partly because the lines were that long.

At the end of the line after waiting about 90 minutes came a woman with one sweater marked down to about 10 dollars from 100.  She came to the register and at that point defended herself saying "I know I am crazy, just one Item and I dont know why I am here."

Its a mentality, almost as you put it "stampede like" and sometimes it defies logic.  It gets exacerbated by the fact that hey...EVERYBODY'S DOIN IT.
Once, in Poland (eighties), my father, mother, grandmother and I stood in front of a shoe store, looking at the window. Some people gathered behind us, and before we knew it, there was a line. Bittersweet.

johnw86

Reaction score
Once, in Poland (eighties), my father, mother, grandmother and I stood in front of a shoe store, looking at the window.  Some people gathered behind us, and before we knew it, there was a line.  Bittersweet.
I had a similar experience at the Cincinnati airport in December during a period of bad weather/flight delays. If you stood still in the wrong place, people would gather behind you thinking that you knew something about a plane that might be leaving for their destination...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads