1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filene's Wedding dress craze

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnw86, Feb 4, 2005.

1. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

The Filene's Basement is having its annual wedding dress stampede today (covered by all the local TV stations--boy do they understand the meaning of "news"). It did start me wondering, though...

For which items of clothing would you get up early and stand in line for hours to purchase? What price would make it worthwhile?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Borrelli suit for $50. [​IMG] Jon.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

When we closed one of our children's closeout shops the lines were literally 90 minutes to 2 hours long, partly because we were understaffed and partly because the lines were that long.

At the end of the line after waiting about 90 minutes came a woman with one sweater marked down to about 10 dollars from 100. She came to the register and at that point defended herself saying "I know I am crazy, just one Item and I dont know why I am here."

Its a mentality, almost as you put it "stampede like" and sometimes it defies logic. It gets exacerbated by the fact that hey...EVERYBODY'S DOIN IT.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

Once, in Poland (eighties), my father, mother, grandmother and I stood in front of a shoe store, looking at the window. Some people gathered behind us, and before we knew it, there was a line. Bittersweet.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience at the Cincinnati airport in December during a period of bad weather/flight delays. If you stood still in the wrong place, people would gather behind you thinking that you knew something about a plane that might be leaving for their destination...