• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filene's Basement

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
For those of you that frequent the dungeon that is Filene's a few things cropping up in the news today indicate they are in serious trouble. Not paying vendors etc. Bankruptcy is being discussed.

That begs the question what would an inventory clearance/bankruptcy sale look like at a Filenes? Potentially mind boggling, both good and bad.

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
You could be right about that. I had visions of big going out of business sale signs with Ed Hardy piled up for a $1 an item.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I thought in Chapter 11, they wouldn't have to liquidate. Anyway, in any given Filene's, I'm only interested in maybe 5% of their stock anyway, so....

I've gotten some gems at Filene's, but 5% is way too generous. It's more like 5% of the Vault stuff. And the Vault stuff is probably less than 5% of the entire inventory.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, FB also filed for Chapter 11 around 98 or 99 when they were still more of a MA retailer. I believe certain vendors who were owed significant amounts of money then, do not sell through FB as a result of being stiffed.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in california and have never been to the brick & mortar filene's. I've read some bad rap about the store here on the boards, but i thrifted a filene's overcoat that I love. Wore it to an interview in December.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a NWT Brioni button down there for 29$ last week. Although, the shirt is a 15 3/4 neck and is a bit small for me. Every now and again they have some cool stuff that is not priced correctly.

I would be upset if the closed down. It is one of the stores i frequent, along with
C21 and Daffys.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i hope not. FB in my area fills a need for great deals on quality stuff that is a huge step up from TJ Maxx, and during the times that full ticket retailers like Saks aren't offering any crazy markdowns.

yes, the prospect of a liquidation sale is mouthwatering, but i would rather have the steady stream of stuff to choose from for a longer period of time. kinda like how i would rather keep the goose laying the golden eggs alive and in good health, instead of killing it to get more eggs right now

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are multiple options in chapter 11 including partial or complete liquidation

EdenResident

Reaction score
The FBs in my area are ghetto as hell. Tons of old **** from Affliction and knockoff brands that even the douchebags wouldn't touch. They even got American Eagle in there!!! Seriously, WTF? Every time I go there, there are no more than 10 shoppers, even on Saturdays. No wonder they got closed down.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have several in Chicago, only one ever has anything of interest. The one on MI ave.
The one in the suburbs is more than worthless, its worse than a Marshalls in North Dakota.

pred02

Reaction score
In Boston area the one downtown crossing used to be a fleet market, but you could find good stuff. The new one that opened (been there last night) on Boylston is ok, the best one in my opinion is the Needham one which is always packed during lunch hour.

Right now they got tons of new stock from Barneys, you can find some decent basics and even a good coat at a markdown.

The Vault stuff does have some nice labels, like Brioni, but c'mon most of that stuff is so odd to begin with that you really need to find something that is nice. I found a Brioni shirt that I got myself thinking, jesus, it's Brioni and its cheap, but otherwise the shirt looked so funky that I would have never taken a look at it if it was not Brioni. A bright pink think sweater in XXL size.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
...worse than a Marshalls in North Dakota.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads