Filene's Basement/Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Apr 1, 2005.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

Or perhaps even on Sunday afternoon. The guy I spoke to at the Connecticut Avenue store said he is coming in on Sunday to work on pricing, etc. He said they may even start putting clothes out on Sunday, depending on their progress. The ad will be in Monday morning's Washington Post.

He said it will only be Barney's items and looks to be a smaller batch than last year. He did not know when Bergdorf's stuff was to arrive.

By the way, I noticed they still have tons of Borrelli slacks and shirts and shorts, as well as several dozen Oxxford suits (priced at $999). The Borrelli is left over from the Mitchells/Richards "haul" which began about 6 weeks ago.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

kabert I love you.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Thanks for the update, kabert.  I have been waiting for this day ever since hearing the legend of the $600 St. Andrews suits.

4. RJman

Amusing that the Filene's Basement Barneys run might be more of a de facto meeting of askandy/styleforum posters than an Edward Green opening at Sky Valet. I like.

5. kabert

kabert Senior member

RJ, ahem, thank you.

I think the St. A's suits came with the Bergdorf's stuff, not Barney's. At last year's Barney's sale, the best part was the pricing -- it was astoundingly good, especially on Barney's label items. Hundreds of very nice Barney's shirts and sweaters priced at about 90% off. I bought several Smedley-quality Barney's-label shirts with original retail of $125 that Filene's had priced at $24.95. There were also all the good shirt labels -- Borrelli, etc. Some Loro Piana as well. I bought Incotex slacks at the Barney's sale also -- hopefully there'll be more of that this year. I seem to recall that the suits and jackets for sale were better at the Bergdorf's sale than Barneys. Bergdorf's had St. A's, Cifonelli, Attolini, as well as the usual very large lot of Brioni, Armani, Cantarelli, etc.

6. Bags

Bags Active Member

I realize that you're talking about the Connecticut Avenue store, but does anyone know if there will be similar new arrivals at either Mazza or the Old Post Office locations?

I always wonder why the Conn. Ave. store has noticeably better selection on a consistent basis.  I'd think that if they were getting big shipments from department stores, they'd want to spread it around to each of their three area locations.

I've got no problem at all going to Conn. Ave., but I was more just curious about the discrepancy.  Is it ever worth my time to shop at the other two?

7. kabert

kabert Senior member

I expect that Mazza will get a shipment too, at the same time. The ad in Monday's Post should state whether any location, such as National Press, is excluded.

8. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

We should all wear screen-name tags when we go [​IMG]

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm going to the Mothership (Boston location) on Sunday late morning/early afternoon, when stuff will actually hit the floor. In my experience, the best bargains are in shirting and knits, and then in suits, and then in outerwear. Anything anyone not in the Boston area is looking for in particular?

10. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

I'm a 42L and looking for something conservative. I'm looking for something I can wear to the office.

11. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

LA Guy, I am going to take up your generous offer. I'll PM you what I need and my contact info. Thanks in advance.

12. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Is the Filene's on Conn. Ave closer to the Farragut North or Dupont Metro stop?

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

Farragut North - - L Street exit -- is one block south of the store.

14. RJman

Well, if they got a nice Ballantyne cashmere sweater v-neck, turtle, or an intarsia crewneck in a decent color and size 40-42 under $200 I'd be glad to reimburse... again, if this is too persnickety no need to look.

Thanks

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

What's a "decent" color, iyo?