• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filene's Basement | Ripped off (?) or (!)

incognitius

Reaction score
Just went to the basement and picked up a suit I thought was Zegna but was actually just Zegna cloth. Scammers. Thanks to the SF and AskAndy, I exposed this common deceptive practice: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...p?t-51503.html.

Question is, I bought the suit for $450. Is a suit with decent fabric worth $300 in tailoring charges to make it fit like a glove? Everything in the suit needs to be engineered. My tailor will make it look great.

If you think I should return it (I have 20 more days), any ideas where to look for a better deal? This recession should soften up this market but I don't know where to look.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Umm, it's hardly a scam. The cloth is made by Zegna, and the tag says so quite clearly. It does not say the suit is made by Zegna. While the labelling is perhaps misleading, it is hardly a scam, and you can hardly assign the blame to Filene's Basement.

Still, I own one of these suits and it isn't bad. It's not fantastic, but the cloth is nice and it travels well. $450 is kind of on the high side compared to what you can probably find here on the B&S Forum for a better suit - you can prob. find a Corneliani-manufactured Polo for the same price, and it will be a fused garment - I recall most of the Zegna-fabric suits from FB being fused.

I don't understand why you'd need $300 in tailoring though. You're going to the wrong tailor, or the suit REALLY doesn't fit... as in, you bought a suit 3 sizes too large.

heard546

Reaction score
This is a common theme here in Texas at Off Saks 5th and Nordstrom Rack, as well as the full line retail stores. I almost purchased a suit that I thought was Zegna, but I noticed the label stated fabric by Zegna. This is not the same as buying a true zegna suit, and it's kinda bait and switch because most potential consumers assume that he/she is buying zegna.

What brand is the suit with the Zegna cloth? For the price you paid I would take the suit back for a refund and continue your search. Especially if you have to pay $300 for alterations.

-tony

pitboss12

Reaction score
$300 in alterations is waaay too high. Get a suit that is a better fit and you'll knock at least $200 off the alterations cost.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my tailor charges $110 and damn near rebuilds my suits to my body style. $300 is way too much!

incognitius

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. Returning has been the consensus. Now I need to break the news to my tailor -- who really isn't ripping me off. He's charging for making half of a MTM suit, since the original size is too large. (My sister bought it for me; I hate to shop.)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by incognitius
...I hate to shop....

What the hell are you doing on SF?!?!
tounge.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by incognitius
Everything in the suit needs to be engineered.

If it doesn't fit you at all, why did you buy it? You must have liked the style and the fabric, and if you liked them enough to pay that much then does it really matter whether it's made by Zegna or not?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Umm, it's hardly a scam. The cloth is made by Zegna, and the tag says so quite clearly. It does not say the suit is made by Zegna. While the labelling is perhaps misleading, it is hardly a scam, and you can hardly assign the blame to Filene's Basement.

Still, I own one of these suits and it isn't bad. It's not fantastic, but the cloth is nice and it travels well. $450 is kind of on the high side compared to what you can probably find here on the B&S Forum for a better suit - you can prob. find a Corneliani-manufactured Polo for the same price, and it will be a fused garment - I recall most of the Zegna-fabric suits from FB being fused.

I don't understand why you'd need $300 in tailoring though. You're going to the wrong tailor, or the suit REALLY doesn't fit... as in, you bought a suit 3 sizes too large.

Every Polo blue label item I've seen or owned has had at the very least a canvassed lapel...if it's made in Italy, it is NOT fused.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ incognitius

Not sure how you came up with the "scam" angle
eh.gif

Zegna supplies a whole host of producers with fabric.
In related news: so does Loro Piana.
In unrelated news: the Pope speaks Latin
plain.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Every Polo blue label item I've seen or owned has had at the very least a canvassed lapel...if it's made in Italy, it is NOT fused.

On a second reading, I can see how what I typed was in fact the opposite of what I meant. Allow me to rephrase:

Still, I own one of these suits and it isn't bad. It's not fantastic, but the cloth is nice and it travels well. $450 is kind of on the high side compared to what you can probably find here on the B&S Forum for a better suit - you can prob. find a Corneliani-manufactured Polo for the same price, and the Polo will be a canvassed garment - I recall most of the Zegna-fabric suits from FB being fused.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a second reading, I can see how what I typed was in fact the opposite of what I meant. Allow me to rephrase:

....half canvassed, most likely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads