• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filenes basement, avon celli

Pink22m

Reaction score
I am away at grad school in Chicago, and have completed my checkout of the second Filenes Basement in the area. There were a couple items that caught my attention, and I wanted to get fellow forum members opinions on them.

The first item I saw that I liked (despite the brand) was a Nautica navy blue topcoat. I don't care for Nautica as a brand at all, but the topcoat wasn't bad for $200. I know you can spend alot more on a topcoat, and this one was nice looking. The only problem was that they didn't seem to have my size, as I am a 36R, and they only had a single 36S. I tried the short on, but the sleeves were a tad short. The other Filenes Basement on Madison Street (I think) turned up no 36R either. Does anyone know if Filenes can ship merchandise from other stores? Does this sound like something which could be located at another Filenes in the country?

The second item (or items) I saw today were some beautiful cashmere sweaters from Avon Celli. I was curious to get everyone's opinion on the company. I know they are probably not in the same league as a Loro Piana or Brunello Cucinelli, but are they fairly high up on the cashmere quality hierarchy? Many were around $200-300, marked down from their original prices of $400-$500. Your input is appreciated, thanks.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
i'm not the one to answer your questions about quality but i do know that if you wait till after christmas, you can get the same cashmere at much lower prices.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinon, Avon Celli is indeed in the same league as Cucinelli and Loro Piana.

edit: my wife actually prefers the styling of A.Celli, the slim, fitted sweaters and cardigans.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The last Robb Report Best of the Best I saw ('03?) named Avon Celli as best for knits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics