• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Figuring out footwear

voyaging

Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out how many pairs of shoes I will need to have a versatile wardrobe. I dress solely casually.

I was thinking a pair of sneakers (CP's probably) and a pair of winter boots. I was also considering maybe some brown loafers and some chelsea boots, but I'm really not sure how those would work in a casual wardrobe.

Also, hi-top or lo-top on the sneakers?

norcal_indy

Reaction score
I've been in the process of starting a decent shoe collection over the past few months and have been executing on the following roadmap:

Boots
Alden Chukkas (suede, un-lined, dark brown)
Alden Indy (Black w/ white stitching from Unionmade)
Wolverine 1000 Mile in Brown (love these)
Wolverine 721LTD Cordovan (haven't pulled the trigger on these yet)
Clarks Desert Boots

Sneakers
Generic Surplus Wino
Zuurick lace-up
Seavees
Keds Champion
Chucks

Other
A few pair of Toms
A pair of blue Sperry boat shoes

A year ago I only owned the Chucks and Toms (aside from dress shoes). I also need to add some oxfords and casual slip-ons to the list. In any case, a couple nice pair of boots and a few sneakers worked pretty well for me.

Hope that helps.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think all you really need is:

pair of athletic sneakers
pair of non-athletic sneakers (CP's, or chucks)
1 pair black dress shoes
1 pair brown/burgundy dress shoes
1 pair of boots (rugged boots like Indys or Bean Boots for foul weather)

this is minimal, anything more would be a bonus. and another note, don't get "designer shoes" made in Italy. In general they are priced way too high for what they are. English or American dress shoes, while just as expensive, are better values IMO.

whatever123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voyaging
So I'm trying to figure out how many pairs of shoes I will need to have a versatile wardrobe. I dress solely casually.

I was thinking a pair of sneakers (CP's probably) and a pair of winter boots. I was also considering maybe some brown loafers and some chelsea boots, but I'm really not sure how those would work in a casual wardrobe.

Also, hi-top or lo-top on the sneakers?

7.5 pairs.

*#..

Reaction score
Good list Mini. I prefer low-top shoes myself. I haven't really liked CP's colorways recently, but they always sell their basic achilles in white, which I'd recommend.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 145 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%