• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Figured out with my measurements, options seem scarcer

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I finally secured a tailor's tape and measured myself a few days ago. Then, last night, I went into Hugo Boss with my lady and asked the gentleman to help me.

He brought out a couple of suits, some of which were closer in fit, but all of which were, unfortunately, the smallest the man had: 36. He told me I was more like a 34 or 35, which I had kind of figured on my own, but wanted to check nonetheless. One of the jackets was nice, and the man told me I could get the shoulders cut by a tailor--maybe about an inch total.

To help with an idea about what I'm struggling to find (even in Manhattan), my measurements are:

chest: 34-35"
waist: 28-29" (28 is too small)
Sleeve length: 31"
neck: 14 1/2

I'm also 5'9", so disproporionately tall or disproportionately skinny, depending on your glasses
biggrin.gif

My dad had suggested I try Brioni or some other places here in Manhattan, but from talking with the salesman last night, I'm beginning to think my main option is MTM or bespoke. So I'm just wondering if this is the proper conclusion to be reaching, or if there are certain brands I might look for first. I actually really liked the cut of the H Boss suits I looked at last night--slimmer, plain front trousers, double vents, higher armpits.

Any thoughts?

Also, the man at the store told me in terms of shirts, I should go looking at Ralph Lauren boys' clothes, b/c of my neck size. My experience in the past with boys' clothes is that the sleeve lengths are often too short, or the shoulders or armpits a little too narrow/tight.

If MTM, could anyone tell me if there is a Manhattan tailor who specializes in slimmer and younger cuts? Perhaps some HK tailors? The salesman last night gave me the name of the tailor he recommends, though I can't seem to find the piece of paper I wrote it on. I think he said he was located on 5th Ave and 77th or somewhere thereabouts.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Philosophe, I will look at the site.

JordanB

Reaction score
Check out CEGO for your shirts. He's probably close in price to Hugo Boss off the rack and the shirts will fit you perfectly.

Sounds like MTM suits might also be a good idea. Any suit that you buy will probably need a lot of tailoring.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thick As Thieves normally makes only 36-40, but it might be worth asking Get Smart if he could cook something up? MTM is probably your best bet. Make sure you go with makers who are competent: I believe the majority of MTM customers are too big for RTW sizes, so they may not have as much experience with sizing things down.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the tips, esp. about MTM.

I can't begin to tell anyone how annoying I find this: yes, I'm skinny, but only because of one of those flukes of genetics.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
My dad had suggested I try Brioni .
It's worth a try.

CoryB

Reaction score
I can't begin to tell anyone how annoying I find this: yes, I'm skinny, but only because of one of those flukes of genetics.

You ain't the only one
smile.gif
. I'm very similar measurements, and it is impossible for me to find anything that fits in the manner I wish.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
Why don't you contact forum member Jonathan at Four in Hand (http://www.fourinhand.com/Main.asp) ? He sells suits in sz 34 and is generally an excellent resource for smaller men.
the problem is he's 5'9". anything he finds rtw with a 34" chest will be made for a guy who is 5'2". sartorian, mtm is the way to go. in a way you're lucky. when your friends and family find out you wear mtm clothing, they won't call you a dandy.
blush.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
many rtw makers will make your size. the retail store has to order it along with their regular new season orders.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
many rtw makers will make your size. the retail store has to order it along with their regular new season orders.

what size is that? 34r? does that exist?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
the problem is he's 5'9". anything he finds rtw with a 34" chest will be made for a guy who is 5'2".

sartorian, mtm is the way to go. in a way you're lucky. when your friends and family find out you wear mtm clothing, they won't call you a dandy.
blush.gif

This is precisely the problem I'm concerned about. If I can order a 34 suit, I'll do it, but the guy at the Hugo Boss store didn't seem to think even that was likely. He told me he gets more smaller sizes than most, but those are 36s. For point of information, when is 'normal ordering time' for the stores? When would I be looking to order, assuming they had the right size?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is precisely the problem I'm concerned about. If I can order a 34 suit, I'll do it, but the guy at the Hugo Boss store didn't seem to think even that was likely. He told me he gets more smaller sizes than most, but those are 36s. For point of information, when is 'normal ordering time' for the stores? When would I be looking to order, assuming they had the right size?

at 5'9", i really doubt you can wear a 34 short, and i don't think there is such a thing as a 34 regular.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen occasionaly some Pal Zileri suits (full canvas) in an EUR 44 ( 34R ) also sports coats, actually now there is one glen plaid sports coat on sale for $150 ...

Here you can find suits in 44 from strellson, this is the swiss brand of Boss, the suits are fused but the cut is nice and the fabrics good for business, you find regularly them in 44 ( 34R ) very discounted on sales periods, I have bought one for my nephew NWT for $120

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
what size is that? 34r? does that exist?

yes in a pattern only. when the retailer orders for his new season, he can order one suit in your size.
dont forget the factory makes the garments after the retailor places his order.
you must pick the size 34 or 35.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads