• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fighting mental blocks that keep you from doing things you need to get done

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You guys ever get these? Case in point: I've got a metric ton of **** to sell online, thousands of dollars worth, and I just cannot get myself to setup everything to take pics. Got the brand new camera, lighting crap, the whole nine (small timer version), but I just cannot get it done. I walk by it hourly, think to myself "hey, I'm going to do that, right after this..." and then do something else. Any tips or experience with strategies for getting past **** like this?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You guys ever get these? Case in point: I've got a metric ton of **** to sell online, thousands of dollars worth, and I just cannot get myself to setup everything to take pics. Got the brand new camera, lighting crap, the whole nine (small timer version), but I just cannot get it done. I walk by it hourly, think to myself "hey, I'm going to do that, right after this..." and then do something else. Any tips or experience with strategies for getting past **** like this?

Don't reply to this ******* post, just immediately go and photograph a few of the things. Just get started. Just a few.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run into this problem regularly. A task just seems so large I can't get rolling on it. Of course, once I do get going, it's actually relatively straightforward and I just roll through it. It's more the thinking about it that I dislike. For example, folding laundry.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Don't reply to this ******* post, just immediately go and photograph a few of the things. Just get started. Just a few.
Eh, too late. Seriously though, I've been down that "forced" road before. "I won't do any of A until I at least get started on B." Then, I **** off with B and party hardy with A.
Originally Posted by unjung
I run into this problem regularly. A task just seems so large I can't get rolling on it. Of course, once I do get going, it's actually relatively straightforward and I just roll through it. It's more the thinking about it that I dislike. For example, folding laundry.
Pretty much. I know for a fact that once I get started I probably will turn into Ansel ******* Adams. I just get get started. Solidarity on the laundry folding. I've had it sitting in the basket for days and every time I look at it I feel a pang of shame.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take adderall.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frown.gif

this

i have such a huge problem with this. i even installed stayfocusd for chrome and now i'm using firefox to get on sf
frown.gif

i think generally tho what helps me get over the bump is to do all the little things first. if that doesn't help either close eyes, count to ten, and then tell yourself that you're now going to do this until you go and do it.

having said that.
frown.gif
im going to go uninstall firefox.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember in psychology being told that putting things off leads to a feeling of guilt which actually makes it harder to start the thing you put off as you don't even want to think about it. I forget what the effect was called but I experience it a lot.

I have this with a lot of things, including the classic writers block for both stuff I am studying and other stuff I write.

I have concluded there is no actual solution or trick, you simply have to force yourself to do it. I find promising myself a reward helps, something I actually want that I will not allow myself to have until whatever it is I have to do is done. Also setting a deadline and telling someone else the deadline helps as little. Really you just have to force yourself to begin though.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Eh, too late. Seriously though, I've been down that "forced" road before. "I won't do any of A until I at least get started on B." Then, I **** off with B and party hardy with A. Pretty much. I know for a fact that once I get started I probably will turn into Ansel ******* Adams. I just get get started. Solidarity on the laundry folding. I've had it sitting in the basket for days and every time I look at it I feel a pang of shame.
My clean laundry basket is never empty. I have towels in there I haven't folded since I did my first load of laundry at my current house.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm the same way a lot of the time. Only advice I can offer is to envision that feeling you'll get when you complete the task. It sounds cliche, but I know you know what I'm talking about. Even with mildly difficult tasks, it's not uncommon for the dread of tackling that to-do item to be far more taxing than actually just bucking up and getting that job done.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
Last week I had to get a report to a client. I had to analyse the stability of a couple of mining method options for a particular deposit. I hit the wall when it came to finalising the document and putting my signature on it.

Managed to get it done like 30 minutes before the deadline.

Deadlines usually un-block my mental blockages
smile.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
start with small pieces. so take your pile, organize it into sections (pants, shoes, suits, etc) and then just tackle one of them for now. if you get into it keep going, if not, then at least you've started one part. Chances are the project is larger then can be done in one sitting anyway.

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
start with small pieces. so take your pile, organize it into sections (pants, shoes, suits, etc) and then just tackle one of them for now. if you get into it keep going, if not, then at least you've started one part. Chances are the project is larger then can be done in one sitting anyway.

Pick the three best pieces -- 3 photographs each and post. The response from SF will give you incentive to do a few more later.

Coburn

Reaction score
First, select any 38R jackets or US 9.5 shoes and PM me. Then if I don't want them, post on B&S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads