Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fighting for a scrap of dignity in the balding battle

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Positivevibes, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Positivevibes

Positivevibes Member

Good afternoon SF'ers...

I have a request for some honest opinions The process of me losing my hair has sped up dramatically. First I fought it, now comes acceptance - the time has come to admit defeat.

But even in defeat, it is important to lose with at least some semblance of dignity.

Therefore, my question is - should I hold on at this length all over, or should I just go for a grade (3 or 4) all over and keep it much trimmer?

I would appreciate some honest feedback - I'm 30 now so will have to keep with this look for the foreseeable future (or until death).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bc78

bc78 Senior Member

I'm a bald guy, so I'm a bit biased, but I say cut it really short. I did it about ten years ago and never looked back. My turning point was when I saw a guy on the train doing a hipster combover kind of thing and felt bad for him, and for me, because I was "hiding" my thinning hair too.

Anyway, whatever you do, do it with confidence. My life got better in a lot of ways, including with the opposite sex, when I embraced being bald.

Good luck to you!

3. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

There are plenty of cost effective options to keep your hair. I never understood why people let it get so bad before they want to do something about it. I started propecia ASAP when I realized I was losing some when I was 24 and get compliments on my hair all the time now that I'm 31.

I think you're on the razor's edge of needing it shorter. I'd get a good thickening shampoo and try propecia and rogain as a combo for a few months just to see what your body is capable of regrowing. After that few months long experiment, decide then.

4. Slh

Slh Senior Member

Propecia is not entirely safe tho. I realize no medication is 100% free of side effects, but messing with your hormones for cosmetic reasons doesn't look like a great idea to me. I have two friends who use propecia and they don't have side effects, but another developed ginecomastia and has erection/libido issues. Many of these side effects disappear when you discontinue the drug, but I heard some people don't recover fully, this is called post finasteride sindrome. I take medications for major depression and my dermatologist refused to prescribe me propecia because I'm not a good candidate, he said propecia can lower my mood. Unfortunately I'm in a situation where I can't do much about my hair...
    Not trying to discourage anyone from taking propecia, but it's not a candy and you should evaluate your situation and decide if hair are worth the possible side effects, some of them severe.

5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

Cut it short. Do it today. The longer you let the sides and back grow, the greater the discrepancy will look. In a few weeks the novelty will have worn off and you will have stopped worrying about your hair. I went through the same thing and was amazed at how many women commented on liking my bald head. My wife, who is far more attractive than I am loves the baldies. Its gonna be ok :)

6. Positivevibes

Positivevibes Member

Thanks! Sometimes it only takes a few kind words of reassurance...it was meant to be.