• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field jacket trilemma

Other things being equal, what is best?

• (1) Issued, well-worn army surplus jacket.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • (2) Unissued, authentic army jacket / repro of past uniform.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • (3) Civilian jacket inspired by army design, with artificial 'worn in' effect.

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Context is everything. I have a pretty rugged classic field jacket, but then again, I wear it when I'm tending to my horses or doing other outdoorsy things.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, just ordered this from Aspesi (but in navy blue):

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

AE7

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find a surplus Soviet desert uniform in my size (I'm 6.3). It was sewn in 1987, never worn, and is in great condition.

The coat is a generic field jacket.

The cotton is heavy twill.

Color is khaki, from soldiers' experiences, tends to fade under the sun.

General questions:

How "nice" it is?

Would it be possible to wear one instead of the "Aspesi" kinds of reproductions?

Is it two ply or single ply cotton?

I can proxy them in some sizes.

bertie

Reaction score
A lot will depend on how it fits. The Aspesi is likely to be more fitted than real surplus gear. Most military surplus is oversized and thus loses a lot of style points. Design and colour-wise it seems nice but very basic, missing some of the detailng you find on the niche designer models. If you don't care about these and you are happy wit hthe fit - it should be fine.

AE7

Reaction score

A lot will depend on how it fits. The Aspesi is likely to be more fitted than real surplus gear. Most military surplus is oversized and thus loses a lot of style points. Design and colour-wise it seems nice but very basic, missing some of the detailng you find on the niche designer models. If you don't care about these and you are happy wit hthe fit - it should be fine.

Thank you very much, kind sir. The jacket fits quite snug, not restraining though. See how it goes with casual wear!

bertie

Reaction score
Fit is most important. Here is the jacket I have - they could be twins:

bertie

Reaction score
Just wrinkles - yes it is a pre-washed cotton which is very soft.

bertie

Reaction score

This man is actually wearing a Field Jacket in the "Field".
Not running errands on the weekend.

http://www.sunray22b.net/images/otto_skorzeny.jpg

I think if you look carefully you wil note he is holding a bag with milk and a loaf of bread so he may well be in the "field" but he is still running errands. Can't say the same for menacing fellow standing beside him (who looks over-dressed relative to the casual looks on everyone else)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think if you look carefully you wil note he is holding a bag with milk and a loaf of bread so he may well be in the "field" but he is still running errands. Can't say the same for menacing fellow standing beside him (who looks over-dressed relative to the casual looks on everyone else)

Surely you jest, Kamarad. In addition to the milch and brot, the errand included rescuing Il Duce-
the menacing fellow who is overdressed. Needless to say, as an Italian in a difficult situation
he is entitled to his Sprezzatura. A year and a half later he was hanging out in Milan:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__LHpG2KTr2c/S_C8-4Zw5GI/AAAAAAAAAB4/tTIWDmAvZvw/s1600/mussolini-corpse.jpg

Last edited:

Riddlywalker

Reaction score
here's a thing now.... I looked into buying one of these M65 jackets from Alpha industries, and I was able to try one on rather than ordering online- prices currently range from £99 to £125 online. The fabric was exactly as I remembered it, but the quality of the fastenings was utter rubbish. press studs had a sharp edged back plate, and on three of the jackets that were on the shops racks press studs had ripped out completely, or come apart. This not from wear, but from customers trying them on and opening a pocket. No thanks.
Alpha makes no claim of 'made in America' on these, so probably cheap chinese out-sourcing.
I'm currently looking for a used ex-service jacket in good condition.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads