1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Field jacket trilemma

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Aug 2, 2012.

Other things being equal, what is best?

1. (1) Issued, well-worn army surplus jacket.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. (2) Unissued, authentic army jacket / repro of past uniform.

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. (3) Civilian jacket inspired by army design, with artificial 'worn in' effect.

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

radicaldog, if you like the j.crew Fatigue jacket, you may want to check if j.crew b&m outlet stores still offer one (not available at the j.crew online factory store afaik). They did a few seasons ago, and it was similar to the regular j.crew one, except without any artificial distressing and fraying.

2. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Thanks, but I'm in the UK, so no J. Crew outlets (or stores) here.

3. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior member

I've a khaki Barbour and an olive green Hackett field jacket. Love them both. The Hackett's lined so better for the Autumn and is just getting to the sort of "lived-in" state I like them to look. The barbour's still a little too box-fresh.

4. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I did have a safari-inspired linen jacket in a medium blue that was applicable to the city on weekends. And it worked even better on holiday to the Caribbean or somewhere else tropical. Also, the details were not precisely accurate -- which helped. Unfortunately, it fit my former size and I gave it away.

With the TF, it was khaki and looked exactly like something you'd have seen on Yves St Laurent during his safari period. Gorgeous, rich, fabric though.

Color and fabrication are game changers in this case.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Ah ok, then my vote goes to the Barbour Sapper jacket:

[​IMG]

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Really? I'm not seeing it. To me it looks like Woody Allen in an ugly jacket that's too big for him.

Since you are in the UK, my first thought would definitely be something like a Barbour Bedale. They are shorter than the more common Beaufort and don't have the game pocket in the back. You may, of course, think the UCT quotient is too high. But it doesn't really look costumey and does not look out-of-place even in central London, especially at the weekends. And it would certainly work with all of these jeans, "cords, chinos, desert boots, sneakers, boat shoes" except maybe boat shoes. But a field jacket wouldn't either, of course.

A modified safari jacket in heavy canvas, would probably look pretty good too, especially if you lose the epaulets and the upper outside pockets.

7. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

8. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

9. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Me, too. Does anyone who owns one know if it covers a SC? Or do they just offer the Barbour[​IMG] Border Jacket? Which I really don't like as much.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Is this threak about recreating the M*A*S*H look or something?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Mine does, with the quilted lining removed. But it looks too big over just a sweater without the lining.

12. bertie

bertie Senior member

I have a Barbour Tokito collab and it fits so slim I can't even wear a sweater underneath. Regular Barbours tend to fit a little large but despite some Internet pics I suspect fitting a jacket underneath would require sizing up.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like that Barbour x Tokihito version. prefer something with a little different detailing or fabric that gets away from being completely retro or just boring.

14. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

hey radicaldog picture #2 is not a field jacket.
    its a fairly close repo of a parachute uniform jacket.
    i was in the 82nd airborne.

15. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

True. It's the M-42 I think, part of the jump suit used at D-Day etc. But I don't see how it's conceptually different from a field jacket, since it's not the same thing as the parachute smock used by, e.g., the British army.

16. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Barbour, Musto and my current favorite (looks only not performance) is this Orvis Ultimate Travel, I would never wear it shooting.

[​IMG]

17. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Back before the Army did away with the M-65 people were made fun of for wearing them.

That is all I have to contribute to this thread.

18. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Interesting. Did they make fun of M-65 people who served or of those who didn't? (Genuine question!)

19. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Hmm, I rather like this (Paul Smith):

[​IMG]

I've come to the conclusion that I want a ghillie collar and angled pockets.

The only problem with current civilian field coats is that they follow the short jacket trend, so they appear a bit out of proportion -- the drawstring sits too high and the jacket falls too short. That would be an argument for sticking to an old military pattern, I guess.

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Only Soldiers making fun of Soldiers and this was the ACU field jacket. I don't know exactly why people mocked them but we had one guy that was dubbed Field Jacket Dale after wearing his once and the nickname never went away. I'd like to think that it was a subconscious reaction to taking the classic field jacket and putting this awful camo pattern on it.