• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fiddlehead ferns

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
How do I cook these?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm...fiddleheads. After cleaning them, I've simply sauteed them in olive oil, salt and pepper on medium-high heat for a few minutes stirring them around every so often until they have some browning around the edges. One could probably add some herbs, but I prefer to let the simplicity of the ferns shine through. I just use them as a contorni for the meal. Enjoy!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Clean = just rinse or do I need to do more?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Just rinse unless you see any clumps of dirt leftover. Also add fresh lemon juice during cooking and just as they come off the heat for added spring zestiness.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

I thought you were supposed to trim up the straighter ends so they are closer to the beginning of the coil?

I saw some at the market here last week. After trimming and cleaning, I sauteed for a few minutes in olive oil and threw in a clove of garlic for the last minute.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the wild ones turn the water quite brackish. I simmer them for a bit and then simmer again in a change of water and then shock in ice water. SautÃ
00a9.png
in butter season with salt and a squeeze of lemon.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They remind me a bit of morels because dirt can hide in lots of little nooks and crannies, but yeah just wash them as people said.

braised

Reaction score
Manton - taste them and follow your instincts.

The advice above is right on, treat them like a bitter green by picking them up in a hot pan with some oil. Rinsing them adds moisture which steams to even the temperature in the pan and removes any grit. Depending on how old they are or how close to the ground they were taken, the "stem" may be more fiberous and want to be removed. The heads may be sandy and want more soaking and rinsing.

Anything you deal with something new, cook a handful and taste to see how they are performing.

B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Should I blanch first, then saute?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Look at an online guide, you basically need to get rid of some parts. I ate fiddlehead ferns and cream rabbit this week, miam miam. I prefer them plain and sauteed, YMMV.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had them at a dinner not long ago. They looked pretty trimmed up and had been cooked in olive oil. Paired with a buffalo fillet and were pretty good.

braised

Reaction score
Should I blanch first, then saute?

No need to blanch first unless doing lots, in which case blanch for about 1 minute and shock in ice water to refresh and hold.

If they have some moisture on them from the rinsing, they will saute evenly and quickly in a hot pan in about 3 minutes.

Try one raw, you'll find that, like asperagus, they do not need much heat but benefit from cooking.

B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I liked these a lot, thanks guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads