• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Few questions about hearing loss after concert

fanfic65

Reaction score
Hello everyone, today i was at concert at festival (there is a festival here where i live once a year and i usually go every year, fesival lasts 7 days but i usually go only 3 days but this year i was going only one day and only on one concert) and strangely there was not huge line array this year instead there was only one speaker haning from the stage (one on right side and one on left side) and there were 4 big bass bin speakers (4 at left side of stage and for at right side of stage) and since there wasnt big line array and main speakers were not too big (not counting subs, they were big) i tought it wont be too loud and that i dont have to worry and 20 minutes before concert began they started to play some songs to test if equipment was set up propperly and i was standing pretty close to stage (not too close but also really not far from stage) and in front of me was speaker haning from stage and as they played tunes for while testing their equipment i noticed that it was MUCH louder than i expected for that speakers but it was not too loud, in fact i was enyoing because subwoofers were extremly good quaity and powerfull, i could feel bass in my chest, also mid and high frequencys were perfect and it wasnt too much for my ears and sound was krystal clear, but when they finished testing and the concert began some idiot turned up volume on sound mixer too high and like if that was not enough few minutes later he turned up high frequencys WAY, WAY TOO MUCH and after that most songs had distorstion and too much high frequency, i was thinking whole time that i should move but i didnt and concert lasted about two hours and now after about three or four hours most things i hear are still muffeled (like when you have water in your ears) but its much better than it was after concert ended, also i had some ear ringing but it stopped for now.
Also i tried to listen to some music on my earbuds but some frequencys feel like static and when i turn up volume whole song is distorded.

So my questions are:
How much do you think that i damaged my hearing and do you think it will be noticable?
How long till everything gets back to normal and i stop hearring "muffeled"?
How long do you think will take for ringing to stop?
What is more dangereous for hearing, listening to music on in-ear headphones at loud or max volume or that concert i was a today?

Also, if it makes any difference i used to listen to really loud on in-ear headphones and i had ringing in my left ear for time to time and i think i was noticing difference betwene sound on my left ear and right ear because of loud headphones way long before this concert but im not sure maybe i imagined that i hear lower on my left ear because of headphones because i was TOO paranoid about my hearing, but for last few months i dont listen too loud on headphones because im aweare that it can ruin my hearing,

Please reply.

Sorry for my bad English and for badly written post and gramar errors but its almost 3AM here where i live.

Thanks in advance.

Please reply, its really important.

Last edited:

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's normal after a concert. Give it a week to see if your hearing returns. If not, see an audiologist.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Youve probably increased your likelihood of tinnitus when youre older. If youd caused nerve damage (irreversible) youd have felt it. Bring some earplugs to the next concert and dont blare your earbuds.

RanMan

Reaction score
Give your ears a rest as much as possible, quiet is good.Go easy on stimulants ie coffee and tequila which amp up ringing. For those with tinnitus, acupuncture can help give the ears a bit more tolerance for volume and it dulls ringing slightly. With luck you'll go back to normal in a week. Distortion at high decibels is a killer.

OmarSnell

Reaction score
Do not panic and take a hasty decision during such situations. If the mumbling sound exist for more than a day its always advisable to meet an audiologist. There are several hearing tests that can evaluate your hearing ability like that of comprehensive diagnostic hearing evaluation at Westside audiology (Calgary) that help determine if any hearing loss is present, degree and type of hearing loss and the condition of the ear canal.

sajesak

Reaction score
Hello everyone, today i was at concert at festival (there is a festival here where i live once a year and i usually go every year, fesival lasts 7 days but i usually go only 3 days but this year i was going only one day and only on one concert) and strangely there was not huge line array this year instead there was only one speaker haning from the stage (one on right side and one on left side) and there were 4 big bass bin speakers (4 at left side of stage and for at right side of stage) and since there wasnt big line array and main speakers were not too big (not counting subs, they were big) i tought it wont be too loud and that i dont have to worry and 20 minutes before concert began they started to play some songs to test if equipment was set up propperly and i was standing pretty close to stage (not too close but also really not far from stage) and in front of me was speaker haning from stage and as they played tunes for while testing their equipment i noticed that it was MUCH louder than i expected for that speakers but it was not too loud, in fact i was enyoing because subwoofers were extremly good quaity and powerfull, i could feel bass in my chest, also mid and high frequencys were perfect and it wasnt too much for my ears and sound was krystal clear, but when they finished testing and the concert began some idiot turned up volume on sound mixer too high and like if that was not enough few minutes later he turned up high frequencys WAY, WAY TOO MUCH and after that most songs had distorstion and too much high frequency, i was thinking whole time that i should move but i didnt and concert lasted about two hours and now after about three or four hours most things i hear are still muffeled (like when you have water in your ears) but its much better than it was after concert ended, also i had some ear ringing but it stopped for now.
Also i tried to listen to some music on my earbuds but some frequencys feel like static and when i turn up volume whole song is distorded.

So my questions are:
How much do you think that i damaged my hearing and do you think it will be noticable?
How long till everything gets back to normal and i stop hearring "muffeled"?
How long do you think will take for ringing to stop?
What is more dangereous for hearing, listening to music on in-ear headphones at loud or max volume or that concert i was a today?

Also, if it makes any difference i used to listen to really loud on in-ear headphones and i had ringing in my left ear for time to time and i think i was noticing difference betwene sound on my left ear and right ear because of loud headphones way long before this concert but im not sure maybe i imagined that i hear lower on my left ear because of headphones because i was TOO paranoid about my hearing Metal Dice, but for last few months i dont listen too loud on headphones because im aweare that it can ruin my hearing,

Please reply.

Sorry for my bad English and for badly written post and gramar errors but its almost 3AM here where i live.

Thanks in advance.

Please reply, its really important.
I had to record a club gig the other night, I had my musician's ear plugs in with the 15db filters. Yes, I should have had the 25db filters in, but I had foolishly left them at home. The 15db filters usually are enough though for most cases.

There was a loud guitar amp pointing toward my left ear, granted, it was over 25 feet away, but it was LOUD... and piercing... I had to stay in that position in order to man the recording gear.

Driving home after the gig, I noticed I could not hear out of my left ear, and bad ringing in that ear. Ok, in my lifetime this has happened before and usually went away after 12 hours or so. But in this case, the next morning, I still could hear only 50% out of the left ear at best and still bad ringing.

Now nearing 2 days later, it's not any better. I am getting VERY UPSET AND VERY SCARED. I'll call a doctor tomorrow.

In the meatime, any thoughts... ideas... experiences? Did I permanently destroy my hearing and end my audio career while recording a one hour club gig? Or is there hope that this loss of hearing in the one ear will come back?

This is some REALLY scary stuff here... if my ear heals and I can actually continue on with my audio career, I will surely never again go to another gig without not only my 25db filter ear plugs, but ALSO a set of super high-attentuation rifle-range style Headphones to put OVER the 25db plugs!

The amplifier at the gig I was at was indeed unusually and inappropriately loud and very focused in a very piercing upper mid-range frequency, seemed to just cut right through the ear plugs like a knife. It did cause pain during the gig, but I was stuck at the recorder / microphone position. I was foolishly assuming that the 15db plugs would be enough to "protect" regardless, but... the feeling of pain should have been an indicator for me to get out of there. I SHOULD have just aborted the mission and walked away, but... lesson learned. I hope I didn't just end my career because of one small gig.

So, again, I'm here at almost 2 days later, still with only 50% hearing and a lot of ringing in the one ear... do I have a chance? Yesterday I still felt hopeful, but I've never had hearing loss and ringing persist for almost 2 whole days before.

RanMan

Reaction score
I've had tinnitus since the 70's, shooting my grandfather's 1897 Winchester 12 gauge as an early teenager. I'm a lifelong gigging keyboard player and the issue tends to fluctuate a bit. I noticed during the pandemic that my ringing really calmed down a lot, a benefit of a long period of rest from excessive volume. Very surprising to me.

Began playing out again w my 9 piece band and the lowered level of ringing maintained for several months until I took a job as a sub (forgetting to bring hearing protection). That drummer's relentlessly deafening snare brought it all back. After about a year, it has slowly calmed down a bit. Still zingy though, not like the post pandemic level I enjoyed.

All I can say is rest your ears as much as possible, avoid long mix sessions esp at loud decibel levels.

Avoid caffeine and tequila, 2 things I've found that exasperate the ringing.

Be careful w antibiotics. A sax player friend of mine suffers worse than I do. His Dr prescribed one, not mentioning this potential side effect (tinnitus and/or exasperation of) and it just took his to another level all together.

I found a great Chinese born and trained acupuncturist who has helped. It doesn't cure per se, but it helps w building your tolerance of sound pressure levels.

I'm happy to say that despite this, I have very little actual hearing loss.

Good luck getting your ears calmed down again.

sajesak

Reaction score
I've had tinnitus since the 70's, shooting my grandfather's 1897 Winchester 12 gauge as an early teenager. I'm a lifelong gigging keyboard player and the issue tends to fluctuate a bit. I noticed during the pandemic that my ringing really calmed down a lot, a benefit of a long period of rest from excessive volume. Very surprising to me.

Began playing out again w my 9 piece band and the lowered level of ringing maintained for several months until I took a job as a sub (forgetting to bring hearing protection). That drummer's relentlessly deafening snare brought it all back. After about a year, it has slowly calmed down a bit. Still zingy though, not like the post pandemic level I enjoyed.

All I can say is rest your ears as much as possible, avoid long mix sessions esp at loud decibel levels.

Avoid caffeine and tequila, 2 things I've found that exasperate the ringing.

Be careful w antibiotics. A sax player friend of mine suffers worse than I do. His Dr prescribed one, not mentioning this potential side effect (tinnitus and/or exasperation of) and it just took his to another level all together.

I found a great Chinese born and trained acupuncturist who has helped info. It doesn't cure per se, but it helps w building your tolerance of sound pressure levels.

I'm happy to say that despite this, I have very little actual hearing loss.

Good luck getting your ears calmed down again.
thank you so much for your suggestion

outofstyles

Reaction score
I think it's kinda normal having this but maybe just take it rest for days it will heal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads