• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Festive Attire" for wedding????

dastz

Reaction score
Hi
I've been invited to a wedding in Massacusetts; the date is late September. the invitation says "festive attire." Any idea what that means and any tips on what to wear? can i get by with gray trousers, black blazer, white shirt and a funky tie? Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
thanks

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate the whole "festive dress" notion. I think it generally means cocktail attire, that is to say, slightly uninhibited business dress.

What you describe sounds about right. And if your hosts don't like it, let that be a lesson to them for being so vague.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I say show up in a jester's outfit, complete with shoes with bells on the toes. As we so wisely say in the South, "that'll learn 'em."

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
newcarmen3.jpg
festive, you say?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
God. Why can't people just use normal terms for the state of dress for weddings? There needs to be a section in LMS from now on that teaches proper terms for dressing and examples.

Personally, I say just show up in a suit and tie, and remove the tie if necessary.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
God. Why can't people just use normal terms for the state of dress for weddings?

Hear, hear. My parents were recently invited to an event (not a wedding) where the invitation called for "elegant attire." My father was wondering if this meant a tux. My thought was yes, but I think, given the vagueness of the term, I think one could also show up in a suit and tie. My mother was also at a bit of a loss in deciding what to wear.

If you want black tie, either say "black tie" or "formal" (and, yes, I know, traditionally "semi-formal" meant black tie, but no one knows that anymore).

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I was going to wear my birthday suit but couldn't get all the wrinkles out!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a nice middle ground ala Daniel Craig in Layer Cake suit spread collar shirt sans a tie

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God. Why can't people just use normal terms for the state of dress for weddings?

Women. I think the use of "creative" dress code terminology does send clear signals to them. But I think we need much clearer wording.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I wouldn't quite generalize that. My female friends also have no idea what the **** people are saying when they get invitations like that.
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I say show up in a jester's outfit, complete with shoes with bells on the toes. As we so wisely say in the South, "that'll learn 'em."
Hey, some jesters kick tonnes of arse.

summej2

Reaction score
I wouldn't quite generalize that. My female friends also have no idea what the **** people are saying when they get invitations like that.

Hey, some jesters kick tonnes of arse.

Yes; my wife usually asks me what the ambiguous terms are supposed to mean.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a "going out" suit, i.e. the ones that are too flashy for business. As far as the tie goes, I think that depends on where the wedding's being hosted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads