"Festive Attire" for wedding????

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dastz, Sep 21, 2006.

1. dastz

dastz Member

Hi
    I've been invited to a wedding in Massacusetts; the date is late September. the invitation says "festive attire." Any idea what that means and any tips on what to wear? can i get by with gray trousers, black blazer, white shirt and a funky tie? Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
    thanks

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hate the whole "festive dress" notion. I think it generally means cocktail attire, that is to say, slightly uninhibited business dress.

What you describe sounds about right. And if your hosts don't like it, let that be a lesson to them for being so vague.

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I say show up in a jester's outfit, complete with shoes with bells on the toes. As we so wisely say in the South, "that'll learn 'em."

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

[​IMG] festive, you say?

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

God. Why can't people just use normal terms for the state of dress for weddings? There needs to be a section in LMS from now on that teaches proper terms for dressing and examples.

Personally, I say just show up in a suit and tie, and remove the tie if necessary.

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

God. Why can't people just use normal terms for the state of dress for weddings?

Hear, hear. My parents were recently invited to an event (not a wedding) where the invitation called for "elegant attire." My father was wondering if this meant a tux. My thought was yes, but I think, given the vagueness of the term, I think one could also show up in a suit and tie. My mother was also at a bit of a loss in deciding what to wear.

If you want black tie, either say "black tie" or "formal" (and, yes, I know, traditionally "semi-formal" meant black tie, but no one knows that anymore).

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Birthday suit.

Now, that's truly festive.

8. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I was going to wear my birthday suit but couldn't get all the wrinkles out!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I'd go with a nice middle ground ala Daniel Craig in Layer Cake suit spread collar shirt sans a tie

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

God. Why can't people just use normal terms for the state of dress for weddings?

Women. I think the use of "creative" dress code terminology does send clear signals to them. But I think we need much clearer wording.

12. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I wouldn't quite generalize that. My female friends also have no idea what the fuck people are saying when they get invitations like that.
    I say show up in a jester's outfit, complete with shoes with bells on the toes. As we so wisely say in the South, "that'll learn 'em."
    Hey, some jesters kick tonnes of arse.

13. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I wouldn't quite generalize that. My female friends also have no idea what the fuck people are saying when they get invitations like that.

Hey, some jesters kick tonnes of arse.

Yes; my wife usually asks me what the ambiguous terms are supposed to mean.

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I'd go with a "going out" suit, i.e. the ones that are too flashy for business. As far as the tie goes, I think that depends on where the wedding's being hosted.