• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ferrari returns at Imola

Mr Checks

Reaction score
It was great to see Ferrari return to form with a 2nd at Imola this weekend; especially since Schumacher started 13th.

Renault is doing great, though.

Sadly, I missed the early part of Schumacher's charge through the field.  The end was fantastic, with a thrilling pass of Button (who might be DQ'd), and the duel with Alonso.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

petescolari

Reaction score
I was really happy with the fact CBS covered the press conference (even for a little bit). In my opinion, it's one of the most interesting parts of the race. If Kimmi is on the podium though, the press conference is unbearable. The boy simply cannot speak.

Imola is such a great track. Too bad most races (Monaco) are mostly parades with no areas to overtake. And no, the tunnel under caution is not the best place to pass.

The BMW car from the car cam looked like it has tremendous understeer.

Schumi's charge from 13th through the field was impressive. Watching him drive with light fuel before he has to pit is amazing. He just blisters the field when he is nearing empty.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As impressive as was Schumi's charge, I was really impressed with Alonso's composure in the closing laps with the big red stallion filling his mirrors. I thought Alonso and Renault's wins were flukes with so many prominent dnfs and Ferrari's troubles. Yesterday's drive proves to me this kid is the real deal. Should make for an exciting, or at least compelling, F1 season for a change.

petescolari

Reaction score
Yesterday's drive proves to me this kid is the real deal. Should make for an exciting, or at least compelling, F1 season for a change.
Which will make Catalunya (the next race) all the more amazing for Alonso in his native Spain. I really want to see both of these guys go head to head there with them closer off the pole.

I thought Schumi was going to get around Alonso instead of forcing him to make a mistake.

It's good to see people like F1 around here. It is better this year to watch b/c of the rules changes.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I plan to go to Montreal again this year, which is a great race.

Yes, I agree that Renault appears to be the real deal, which makes for better racing all around. Love the color of the car too.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renault is definitely the team for Ferrari to beat.
What a change from last season.

Forza.

AAA

Reaction score
The CBS announcing crew is so bad that it almost makes the race unwatchable. The guys from Speed are so much better.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Some quick points:

1) Imola is not a "great" track by any stretch of the imagination. They ruined it after Senna's death in 1994 with the addition of all those chicanes. Way too difficult to pass and not a great technical "driver's" circuit a la Suzuka.

2) With that in mind, Alonso's ability to hold off Schumacher was mostly due to the track configuration. Had their sprint to the finish occurred on any track other than Monaco, Hungaroring, or Imola, Schumi would have passed Alonso with ease. His pace was 1-2 seconds a lap quicker throughout the race. Essentially, Schumi lost the race in qualifying due to his slight mistake. However, what is particularly impressive about his drive is that, had he been able to pass Button 1 lap earlier (that darn track configuration again.), or stay out 1 more lap than he was able to, he would have had enough of a gap to come out ahead of Alonso after his final pit stop.

Even though he did not win, this was one of Michael's best drives in a while. Watching him reel in Button was a joy to behold. His pace relative to the rest of the field reminded me of his form in Hungary in '98 or Monaco in 2000.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I don't have Speed any more, because it doubles my cable bill, so I was just happy to see the race at all.

I agree that this was a great drive by Schumacher, and I'm fired up for Spain, wish I could go, but since I've been spending all my money on clothes, no can do.

AAA

Reaction score
The Button pass was very nice, but as pointed out earlier, it was Schumacher's poor driving that cost him the race. The new Ferrari was much quicker than the Renault, and had Michael not slid off the track in qualifying, he would easily have won. Alonso did a nice job in intentionally slowing down the last several laps to avoid catching the lapped traffic. He definitely used the track to his advantage.

Nonk

Reaction score
Well bugger me with a fishfork. I thought the interest in the USA was the same as the number of world titles Jenson Button is going to win, ie zero. Glad to see there are some fans there.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I keep telling my NASCAR friends that stopping, accelerating, and turning both left AND right makes for exciting racing.

And, I mention that F1 is the most popular sport on the planet, according to F1 (by what standard, I cannot imagine, but they said it, so I pass it along whenever I can).

Having said that, my NASCAR friends outnumber my F1 friends by about 100 to 1 (the one being me)

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
If F1 is serious about increasing the awareness of their brand in America, then Bernie needs to get more American drivers involved. Pretty simple, really. At a minimum, they could get American drivers involved at the U.S. Grand Prix. Obviously, if they were just driving for one weekend it couldn't be in a particularly competitive car (the championship implications for the top teams being too important), but still, it would be fun and hopefully increase fan interest. It would be neat to see Jeff Gordon race for Red Bull or Sauber.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Of course, economically it probably makes more sense for F1 to keep expanding the championship beyond European countries into Asian or 3rd world ones. These countries think nothing of depleting their treasuries to pay for world-class circuits and facilities for the VIPs/journalists/etc. The third world countries are very image conscious and they are not going to let the tracks and infrastructure deteriorate a la Silverstone.

Also don't forget these countries don't place restrictions on tobacco advertising and they pay very lucrative licensing fees to Bernie. The future lies in India and Russia, not San Marino, England, or France.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads