Ferrari Controls the Media

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by RFX45, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248/how-ferrari-spins

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Handing out "ringers" for magazine tests obviously happens.

I'd be more concerned about buying a "limited edition of 399" Enzo and then reading an article in the Ferrari Market Letter by someone who has collected over 440 serial numbers for different Enzos. Ooops.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Pretty bad reflection on Ferrari. Good on this guy for blowing the whistle.

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Senior member

I thought it was common knowledge that test cars are always "prepared" for the tests? Ferrari may just take it a step further.

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Do people really buy Ferraris because of their performance?

6. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I've gotten to test drive plenty of press cars over the years. None of them have ever done anything like what they described in the article. Thats ok, I'm really not a Ferrari guy. Funny he mentions driving the new XKR and how no one views the video, drive the new ferrari and it gets 5mill hits. I still think the XKR is one of the most fun cars to drive in the last 2 years. A car for sophisticated hooligans.
    Ya know thats a good questions. I might have to say no. There are a few but most well to do people either race vintage cars or race porsches.

7. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

HAHA i read the article on SF and the whole time it made me think of chris harris, hes talking style is very similar to his writing style, i like chris, mostly ive seen his you tube auto car bits. hes pretty honest, hes actualy a good driver and knows his stuff.
    have a look at top gear tho. all the car companies test the car and set it up for the track before they set the stig out. ferrari even used their own test driver for at leats ond of their cars that i know of.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Ya know thats a good questions. I might have to say no. There are a few but most well to do people either race vintage cars or race porsches.

there are few things I crave more than a Scuderia and a lift to the track.

9. epb

epb Senior member

I thought it was common knowledge that test cars are always "prepared" for the tests? Ferrari may just take it a step further.

They take it a LOT further, which is what Harris is on about, such as calling a private owner and telling him not to loan Evo his Ferrari for a test, which is what prompted the rant. They were planning a comparo of (iirc) a 599GTO and a GT2 RS and Ferrari wouldn't give them a press car. Evo put the word out asking for anyone with that model to loan them the car for the test and got a volunteer. Shortly before the test, that volunteer got a call from Ferrari telling them to pull their car.

I don't think that's typical car company behavior.

10. epb

epb Senior member

People don't buy them for the performance, they buy them for the performance numbers. People want the capability, even though 99.9% will never come close to using it, like owning a Rolex Deep Sea Diver when you rarely swim and certainly not to 1000m.

This is why luxury cars are a better buy, imo - even if you are Michael Schumacher, the amount of time you get to enjoy the performance of a Ferrari Enzo is pretty limited by conditions favorable to exploiting its performance. With a Maserati Quattroporte or Rolls-Royce Phantom, you enjoy the amenities you paid for every time you get in - no waiting for nice weather or just 4 or 5 track days a year.

11. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

They take it a LOT further, which is what Harris is on about, such as calling a private owner and telling him not to loan Evo his Ferrari for a test, which is what prompted the rant. They were planning a comparo of (iirc) a 599GTO and a GT2 RS and Ferrari wouldn't give them a press car. Evo put the word out asking for anyone with that model to loan them the car for the test and got a volunteer. Shortly before the test, that volunteer got a call from Ferrari telling them to pull their car.

I don't think that's typical car company behavior.

Aside from maybe voiding the warranty, what could Ferrari do if the owner lent their car to Evo anyway?

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Aside from maybe voiding the warranty, what could Ferrari do if the owner lent their car to Evo anyway?

Refuse to sell future Ferraris to the owner. It's a tough life.

--Andre

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Refuse to sell future Ferraris to the owner. It's a tough life.

--Andre

yup. It's rare enough to be offered a 599GTO, I doubt many owners would like to lose that privilege.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Car journalists make enough money to buy 575's?!?!?

15. epb

epb Senior member

Refuse to sell future Ferraris to the owner.

That's their most common threat with limited models. The Enzo was sold via invitation only to people that owned multiple newer Ferraris or significant older ones - apparently one guy was blacklisted for re-selling his immediately, something they'd expressly asked buyers not to do.