• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ferragamos with Jeans

rhino082

Reaction score
I've decided to pick up a pair of Ferragamos to wear out casually. I'm not replacing the shoes that I wear with my suits(Allen Edmonds). So I'm a little torn between 2 pairs. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the 2 shoes I'm looking at the moment. Please keep in mind that I prefer rubber soles because I've slipped and fallen like Charlie Brown too many times to like anything without a sure grip.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvator...esultback=1700

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvator...y&resultback=0

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about shoes that aren't tacky?

Also, black shoes with blue jeans is a bad look.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I go against the MC grain (though strangely not a sizable contingent at AAAC) when it comes to bit loafers. I own both SF and Gucci. I've found the guccis to be more comfortable and of higher quality. Of course, comfort and aesthetics are the key here, not necessarily quality. I think brown suede would be the way to go. I picked these guys up last week. Comfort is unbelievable.

I own an older pair of the SF loafer in suede (like the Master) that have a Commando sole which are also quite comfortable...

sf_esq

Reaction score
Everyone here hates black shoes. Ignore it. Blanket statements about black shoes and blue jeans are just silly. Wear what you want and ignore rules, black or brown can look fine with jeans. Setting that aside, I would definitely not go with the second one. The first is underwhelming, but definitely better than the second. Best of luck.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
I go against the MC grain (though strangely not a sizable contingent at AAAC) when it comes to bit loafers. I own both SF and Gucci. I've found the guccis to be more comfortable and of higher quality. Of course, comfort and aesthetics are the key here, not necessarily quality. I think brown suede would be the way to go here. I picked these guys up last week. Comfort is unbelievable.

I own an older pair of the SF loafer in suede (like the Master) that have a Commando sole which are also quite comfortable...

gucci.com/us/styles/015938121700028

I actually don't mind bit loafers in the right context. I just mind ones that look tacky. The classic gucci model looks good paired well. Those, with the cheap looking leather and fat rubber sole, look tacky.

My issue with the OP's choices are mainly based in color. The first is actually a decent enough silhouette. Yeah, the leather doesn't look all that wonderful, which is surprising for the price, but it would probably look better with a polish, but the shape and such is nice. And it doesn't suffer from the tacky branding syndrome that many ferramagos do.

The second, however, just looks bad. In many ways.

rhino082

Reaction score
The brown over the black makes sense and would be less boring. I only wear dark jeans. Thanks for the suggestions Dwn2Race, I liked the SF Dot loafer and would definitely pick those up in a dark brown, but the only other color they have is amber. Amber never appealed to me. I'm probably going to pick up the demonte loafer you suggested. Its unfortunate that they don't have any bling though.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone. I'm heading to to Europe in a few months and will be using whatever pair I get over there. I was going to buy black loafers because I thought they would go with most of my wardrobe, apparently that isn't the case. I hate always bringing multiple pairs of shoes on every trip.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rhino082
I've decided to pick up a pair of Ferragamos to wear out casually. I'm not replacing the shoes that I wear with my suits(Allen Edmonds). So I'm a little torn between 2 pairs. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the 2 shoes I'm looking at the moment. Please keep in mind that I prefer rubber soles because I've slipped and fallen like Charlie Brown too many times to like anything without a sure grip.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvator...esultback=1700

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvator...y&resultback=0

The second one has the shoe equivalent of monster truck tires.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
+1. Hard to get right, easy to **** up badly.

Lets take a moment to level set:

4100182955_4cf6781b56_b.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
If your intention is to dissuade me, you have failed.

Good. We are on the same page. Was worried.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I'm also thinking black suede bits might serve as an alternative to brown in this situation.

Personally not a fan of the 3 posted from Neimans and Barney's above (one of which is a penny). The bit loafer is a classic- no need to tinker. Here's a link to the 'other' forum which has many good pictures and history.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads