• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ferragamo vs. Gucci

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShoeDogg11
Don't do the Gucci, we have both available in VA, and I'd still buy the 'gamos. Check out Saks or Nordstrom for some better options. If you don't do Collection then I'd stay away from the Cole Haan's as well...

My experience with all but the upper tier (350.00 range) Cole Haan's has been similiar.

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Devil's Hands
ALD_m_Horse_Bit_Loafer_Calfskin.jpg

Much better than Gucci

Ok, dumb question but who makes those?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Todd
Ok, dumb question but who makes those?

They appear to be from Alden's Cape Cod collection. I have one pair of the Cape Cods (not the bit loafer, but a venetian) and a pair of Gucci bit loafers. As for leather quality, I'd give it to the Cape Cods. As for quality of construction, I'd call it a draw.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear both for business casual and weekend wear. I think they have there place in a wardrobe though, as many have already mentioned, for the price there are several better made alternatives.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had Gucci shoes, but the leather seems pretty crappy whenever I'm in a store with them, and I wouldn't even look unless they were under $200. Ferragamo, otoh, is just about all I buy now. I really love their lines, I find the shoes comfortable, and, especially on sale, relatively reasonable (50% off is about what I usually pay, but I happen to get lucky with sales).

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both, a pair of Gucci loafers in caramel suede and a pair of Omega bit loafers from Ferragamos' ghetto Studio line. The Ferragamos were, for a time, my most-worn shoes by a huge margin. Both have held up well, considering, though the Ferragamos are now unwearable outside due to sloppy maintenance and overuse. (I keep them as summer house-shoes.)

I prefer the Ferragamo bit loafers simply because I think their omega logo makes a more elegant bit. The Tramezza-line ones are also construction- and materials- wise the equal of anything. Also, my impression of Gucci's recent shoes is that the quality of their leathers and construction has gone down quite a bit since I bought my caramel suede bit loafers in the 1990s. Ferragamo's lines don't seem to have declined as much, though the Studio was a cheap shoe with a high pricetag when I bought them and continue to be so today.

If you're not wedded to the bit, the most comfortable, well-made, and elegant loafers I've found are JM Weston's 180-model split-toe penny. They have a higher toe, like many shoes from Mitteleuropa. I even recently bought a pair in black, and I never buy black shoes or by duplicates of shoes I already own in different colors.

I would never consider a Gucci loafer knockoff such as the Alden pictured on page 1 of this thread, even though it is going to be a better shoe in every respect than the shoe it copies...

Nashville

Reaction score
these are the only pair i have right now they can be gotten online At neiman marcus, I like them very casual but very classy.

MVC-001F.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads