• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Prada casual shoes held up well over several years, and were among my most comfortable shoes.

garymyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
The consensus here seems that most people hate Guccis, but they do fit me the best.

They were good enough for Ronald Reagan...

What model is that?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I usually look at the ones that originally retail for $400-500, and then the fun begins looking for discounts.
smile.gif

Anything in 2011 under $500 retail is junk, unless you are looking for sneakers?
All 3 make a good quality high end shoe, you must be very selective in your choice.
Tramezza line from SF
IMG_0006_8.jpg
[/IMG]
shoes_20090719_045.jpg
[/IMG]
Prada captoes
20101228_2025.jpg
[/IMG]
20101228_2021.jpg
[/IMG]
Gucci
IMG_0016_1.jpg
[/IMG]
Gucci on the right
IMG_2075.jpg
[/IMG]

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of these for $190 total. I would classify it as a 65% necessity, 35% impulse purchase
bigstar[1].gif
!B4j+Fz!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKi!E)+V3cib0BMqS4cTCN!~~0_3.JPG

I got them in the mail yesterday, and they're too big for me. Will re-sell on eBay
smile.gif

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
All three can be nice shoes, but I will say "you get what you pay for". At the lower end of their spectrums, Ferragamo probably get the nod for me but none of them fall into the zone of being top quality shoes. Id say overall: 1. Ferragamo 2. Prada 3. Gucci I have not bought Gucci for years, cant comment. Their styles are often pretty vomit inducing and quality does not look up to the level they set when Tom Ford was there. I have owned several pairs of Prada shoes, they hold up reasonably well for a cheap shoe (cheap in my book means under $600). Ferragamo I have a couple of pairs at home, they are similar quality to Prada but I prefer them and they are a little cheaper as well. But all three labels dont factor strongly into my shoe buying. I either like the supreme top end or the more bottom end workhorses like AE or Bruno Magli. Cheap but not nasty shoes. I also do not think the quality of these is that much less than above 3 labels. Avoid mid range, gravitate either towards the more bottom end or top end.
in my part of the world... u cant get prada shoe for less than 600$us.. they retail at 700$-1k$usd .. damn unethical mark up
frown.gif
as for gucci they cost around 500$-750$ here... i hope one day they will price the goods here reasonably .. damn bs anyway in my opinion the quality of the shoes vary on the price... lower n higher end etc.. and Prada owning Church maybe helps them to produce better quality shoes? i onno.. but if i were to choose between gucci and prada for their formal stuffs i would choose Prada.. hint: there is also a reason why the fashion movie starred by meryl stryp is called The Devil Wears Prada ... and there was a line "You speak Prada? in Confession of Shopaholic

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
ive owned all 3 brands you mentioned. I hate gucci shoes....but I hate Prada even more. Youre just paying for a name on these....very average quality. Ferragamos happen to be my favorite brand of shoe.....Ive never owned a pair that were less than terrific. Ive only had 1 pair of guccis that I liked...the quality was mediocre, but I like the style. I cant recommend Ferragamos enough. Especially if you can grab em on sale.

+1, my ferragamos have all held up excellently.

next time go here

pediwear.com

and get some nice C&J's. i cant believe this has made it 20 posts without someone suggesting something like this. i guess the old timers have just given up hope. oh well

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
+1, my ferragamos have all held up excellently.

next time go here

pediwear.com

and get some nice C&J's. i cant believe this has made it 20 posts without someone suggesting something like this. i guess the old timers have just given up hope. oh well

OK, they charge £305 for a pair of loafers, which is $500. That's unaffordable for about 99% of shoe buyers in America.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, they charge £305 for a pair of loafers, which is $500. That's unaffordable for about 99% of shoe buyers in America.

nope, you have to take off the VAT, because your not in UK. comes out to 420+/- conv rate. plus some are cheaper and its well worth it. either way enjoy your shoes i hope you get a lot of good use out of them
smile.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend them in this order:

Ferragamo: They have som great lines. I have two pairs in my rotation that have held up well over the past few years (only had rubber heel changes done at Farragamo)

Gucci: Sleek designs--just stay away from logos and and flashy colors. Make good loafers. I have one pair that I purchased 2+ years ago. Still going strong.

Prada: Of the two pairs that I have purchased, both have been returned due to some questionable workmanship. They looked sharp though.

Archdale

Reaction score
My favorite pair of casual loafers are my Ferragamos, they have only patina'd well with age, the leather is quality the workmanship sufficient and they have help up to the occasional 2-mile walk to and from home/work without a hiccup. I look forward to the day when I have the soles re-done, it will be like having a new pair of shoes. My Prada's see infrequent wear, probably because they are black loafers and secondly because the leather quality is not up to snuff IMO.

collin12345

Reaction score
Gucci and Prada shoes are garbage, terrible looking, terrible functionality and way overpriced for what they are. They are mostly bulky and look like ******* blocks on your feet.

Ferragamo's are middle of the road as far as luxury shoes. They have some nice pairs, but again middle of road.

If you are really looking in the $400-500 and want some nice stuff try anyone of these, much better quality and style.

Branchini's
Sutor Mantellassi
Kiton
Santoni

If you spend 400-500 on Gucci or Prada, you would be better of with a pair of teva's and lighting the rest of your money on fire!

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gucci and Prada shoes are garbage, terrible looking, terrible functionality and way overpriced for what they are. They are mostly bulky and look like ******* blocks on your feet. Ferragamo's are middle of the road as far as luxury shoes. They have some nice pairs, but again middle of road. If you are really looking in the $400-500 and want some nice stuff try anyone of these, much better quality and style. Branchini's
Sutor Mantellassi
Kiton
Santoni If you spend 400-500 on Gucci or Prada, you would be better of with a pair of teva's and lighting the rest of your money on fire!
Overpriced? Yes Garbage? Definitely not!

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.Ferragamo
2.Gucci(I would just purchase loafers)
3.Prada(I'm not a fan of the brand in general)

Xancatrius

Reaction score
Just to throw it in here, though a bit off topic, where would you guys rank Bally? AFAIK all their shoes are still made in Switzerland, apart from their loafers which are made in italy, but im referring to the Swiss made ones

DaBakr

Reaction score
I'd rank Bally Swiss right in there with Gucci, Ferrgm and to a lesser extent Prada (I'm not too keen on Prada.) But I own a few pair of Gucci boots and I am still amazed at how comfortable and durable they are and one pair of elongated chelsea boots made of hand tooled calf get more comments then any AE, English or Italian shoes except for some wing-tip lace-up boots.

I have a pair of Bally made w blake/rapid sole contracted by sport guy-Dirk Bickenberg (I didn't know the designer and that he made mostly hideous $500+ sneakers-I just thought I found a pair of Bally formal spats o clearance for <$75 and was correct-htey are Bally made. The leather is beautiful but a bit stiff.

I don't understand all the 'dissing' of Gucci. I don't like their 'classic' style loafers and 'G' branded models but I have at least 4 pair of KILLER Gucci boots from chelsea to 8" wing-tip brogues and I can't go back to my old US made farm boots any longer. Even my Wolverine 1000m get passed over for the Gucci. (I read on another blog by the owner of Ron Rider Boots that many of the Gucci, Prada and others are farmed out to other private workshops and quality is decided on in the contract price. So-theoretically CERTAIN of your Guccis could be made by Santoni , Testoni, etc making slightly lower end versions of what they put their own stamp on.

In fact-this is probably sacrilege but I am so happy with my goodyear welted Gucci cap=toe boots that I may even sell my AE 5th st. which I do love but have barely worn and I just find the toe profile a little fuller and modern on the Gucci then the AE. However-I will NEVER sell my AE cronmoks or Daltons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads