• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Can someone who buys these brands regularly provide some insight regarding how they compare in quality and/or value? I am interested in the business and "business-casual" models, not casual loafers or fancy flip-flops.

I am personally on the careless side in my shoe wearing and do a lot of walking, so to me the highest quality indicator is how quickly the shoe will look like crap. If it holds up more than a year in a city environment, it's a winner.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
If it holds up more than a year in a city environment, it's a winner.

That's in part a function of how many shoes you own.

Don't all three offer multiple lines? You might want to fill people in with a price range or the lines you're looking at.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You might want to fill people in with a price range or the lines you're looking at.

Sure, I usually look at the ones that originally retail for $400-500, and then the fun begins looking for discounts.
smile.gif

ridefar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
Can someone who buys these brands regularly provide some insight regarding how they compare in quality and/or value? I am interested in the business and "business-casual" models, not casual loafers or fancy flip-flops.

I am personally on the careless side in my shoe wearing and do a lot of walking, so to me the highest quality indicator is how quickly the shoe will look like crap. If it holds up more than a year in a city environment, it's a winner.

I have several pairs of Prada business shoes. They are very comfortable (and I walk quite a bit). On the downside, they are comfortable partly because the soles are single layer leather. I have found they wear out quicker than I would like as a result. But the uppers are a nice, flexible leather that wears very well. Again, however, they are a little thinner than others like EG or Lobb, so they offer a bit less structured/less formal feel. I would recommend them, with reservations noted. OTOH, you can probably do better for your money, particularly if you are looking for a classic Oxford or brogue style.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
ive owned all 3 brands you mentioned. I hate gucci shoes....but I hate Prada even more. Youre just paying for a name on these....very average quality. Ferragamos happen to be my favorite brand of shoe.....Ive never owned a pair that were less than terrific. Ive only had 1 pair of guccis that I liked...the quality was mediocre, but I like the style. I cant recommend Ferragamos enough. Especially if you can grab em on sale.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ferragamo by far has the best of the three. I can't speak to as much Gucci, but Prada has been nice but probably not the same level of quality CONSTRUCTION I find with SF. Gucci seems to be excellent to my eye, but the price point is likely inflated.

beeg612

Reaction score
Ferragamo without question. I completely agree with Ridefar that my Prada shoes are comfortable but wear out more quickly. I have two pairs of Gucci dress shoes and they just okay. But, without hesitation, my favorite shoes are my Ferragamos. I have several pairs, dress and casual, and they are all extremely comfortable and long lasting. I properly care for all of my shoes so I'm sure that plays a part but my Ferragamos look great and feel even better every time I wear them. Treat them well and they will serve you well.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are all soooooooooooooooooooooo good, how can you pick just one?????
Must HAVE them allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

v0rtex

Reaction score
Wearing a nice pair of Prada captoe oxfords today that have held up well in rotation. Prada's formal shoes are all very sleek and long with thin soles, so they look great but the soles tend to wear through quickly.

I had a pair in the UK, when I walked a mile or two every day, and they wore through in about 18 months. Over here in the southern US where a long walk = crossing the parking lot twice a day this pair looks brand new after 3 years.

olualbert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
ive owned all 3 brands you mentioned. I hate gucci shoes....but I hate Prada even more. Youre just paying for a name on these....very average quality. Ferragamos happen to be my favorite brand of shoe.....Ive never owned a pair that were less than terrific. Ive only had 1 pair of guccis that I liked...the quality was mediocre, but I like the style. I cant recommend Ferragamos enough. Especially if you can grab em on sale.

+1

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both Prada shoes and Ferragamo shoes from 5 years ago, they all have held up well and the quality WAS good. Not sure about newer ones.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All three can be nice shoes, but I will say "you get what you pay for". At the lower end of their spectrums, Ferragamo probably get the nod for me but none of them fall into the zone of being top quality shoes.

Id say overall:
1. Ferragamo
2. Prada
3. Gucci

I have not bought Gucci for years, cant comment. Their styles are often pretty vomit inducing and quality does not look up to the level they set when Tom Ford was there.

I have owned several pairs of Prada shoes, they hold up reasonably well for a cheap shoe (cheap in my book means under $600).

Ferragamo I have a couple of pairs at home, they are similar quality to Prada but I prefer them and they are a little cheaper as well.

But all three labels dont factor strongly into my shoe buying. I either like the supreme top end or the more bottom end workhorses like AE or Bruno Magli. Cheap but not nasty shoes. I also do not think the quality of these is that much less than above 3 labels. Avoid mid range, gravitate either towards the more bottom end or top end.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of these for $190 total. I would classify it as a 65% necessity, 35% impulse purchase
bigstar[1].gif
!B4j+Fz!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKi!E)+V3cib0BMqS4cTCN!~~0_3.JPG
I know they're on the casual side, but I was running out shoes to wear with slacks to work. The consensus here seems that most people hate Guccis, but they do fit me the best. ... and this won't be my last pair of shoes this summer.
smile.gif

mjphillips

Reaction score
I have a pair of brown gucci loafers - classic design, thin leather sole, rounded toe, purchased around '05. I wear them a lot, probably 3 times per week (and walk around NYC a lot) and they have held up very well and look great. I have had to get the sole replaced every 2 years or so, at a cost of ~$80. I don't like their newer designs though - the colored ribbon under the snaffle is pretty flashy and the plain ones have chunkier looking soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads