• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ferragamo shoes

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive always been a fan of ferragamo shoes and thought they were considered to be high end shoes, now that ive done some reading here on sf im wondering i am correct about them. also what shoes are considered to be truly good quality high end shoes?

ralphwho

Reaction score
typical SF reply will be there are three lines, glue jobs, lavorazione originale, tramezza, and tramezza are the ones to buy.

I dont have any glue jobs but have LOs and tramezzas. Both great shoes, tramezza naturally better (at this point you wil get the song of solomon about how goodyear welted shoes -tramezzas- being the only really good shoes) but LOs feel and look much better than british tanks like heavy church's

Of course never ever pay the retail price- find a way to get hem cheaper and you wil have a great pair of confortable light soes be it LO or Tr

(I like my churchs too, especially when going out at night where they can be used as a lethal weapon)

ralphwho

Reaction score
PS- if you think this is not a serious answer -keep reading this forum and buy other brands and in 6 months you will either agree with me of have been assimiliated into the Borg (SF) colective. either way u will be ok

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how can you tell what line a pair of ferragamo shoes are from?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoodsuitfan
how can you tell what line a pair of ferragamo shoes are from?

Roughly speaking:
- studio has the word "studio" in the insole.
- LO and T have the corresponding words in the outsole
- Others are main line.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ralphwho
I dont have any glue jobs but have LOs and tramezzas. Both great shoes, tramezza naturally better (at this point you wil get the song of solomon about how goodyear welted shoes -tramezzas- being the only really good shoes) but LOs feel and look much better than british tanks like heavy church's

Of course never ever pay the retail price- find a way to get hem cheaper and you wil have a great pair of confortable light soes be it LO or Tr

(I like my churchs too, especially when going out at night where they can be used as a lethal weapon)

+1. I bought a pair of LOs a couple of years back and after regular wear they are still in good nick. Personally I also liked the style as a contrast to heavier English shoes, and they are really comfortable and light, like wearing a glove.

A couple of pics when they were new - only thing that has changed is natural wear on the sole and suppleness of the leather has improved.

SF2.jpg

SF3.jpg

junior varsity

Reaction score
whats the difference between Lavorazione Originale and Mainline?
arent they both blake?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Personally I also liked the style as a contrast to heavier English shoes, and they are really comfortable and light, like wearing a glove.

My last 2 purchases have been ferragamos (I have 3 total)...loafers, derby/lace ups, and chelsea boots.
They are all rubber soled (GASP!!) and they are probably the most comfortable of all my shoes. I have/had English shoes (C&J, trickers, etc...) and I just find myself wearing the ferragamos, as well as Tods, the most.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
My last 2 purchases have been ferragamos (I have 3 total)...loafers, derby/lace ups, and chelsea boots.
They are all rubber soled (GASP!!) and they are probably the most comfortable of all my shoes. I have/had English shoes (C&J, trickers, etc...) and I just find myself wearing the ferragamos, as well as Tods, the most.

do the rubber soled ferragamo shoes last long?
also what kind of construction do the rubber soles use? glue? blake stitching? depends?

tradernick

Reaction score
From the Ask Andy pages. Hasn't been updated in a while but still may be useful if you're looking for basic information.

"Like Bruno Magli, Ferragamo doesn't own any of their own production facilities. Also like Bruno Magli, they market shoes of widely varying qualities. The Studio line shoes are cemented and not worth the money they cost. The Lavarazione Originale line shoes are generally Blake-constructed and are often attractive and well-made, if overpriced. The Tramezza line shoes are Goodyear-welted and are very good. Ferragamo has a joint venture with Zegna called Zefer, and Zefer produces all of the Zegna-labelled shoes. I believe, although I am not certain, that Zegna owns the production facilities for these shoes, some of which are very good."

katiedaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
also what kind of construction do the rubber soles use? glue? blake stitching? depends?

Depends on how you walk on them, some people just tread lightly and rubber soles will last forever and for me they usually wear on outer sides most always. I generally prefer leather soled ones since I had some issues with their rubber soles (vibram ones are worse!) wearing out too quickly and they're mostly glued. I do find them to be most comfortable out of 3 of my favorite brands (Ferragamo, Gucci, and Prada) and always go back to them. Out of all Ferragamo Shoes, I would recommend Diego & Parigi, those soles seem to last pretty long.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had Tramezzas, but have had my fair share of LO. The quality is decent, and they weren't a bad value when MSRP was $350/400. Now that prices are in the $550/600 range, you can do a lot better. At 60% off or more, I'd still buy them as they are some of the only leather sole shoes I can walk in all day.

I have one pair of Studios as well (outlet for like $100) because they looked nice and would be good beater shoes. Aside from the construction, I seldom wear them because the leather is much stiffer and they aren't nearly as comfortable.

My only pair of rubber-soled Ferragamos are main line and have held up very well for about 3.5 years so far.

Art Fern

Reaction score
ive always been a fan of ferragamo shoes and thought they were considered to be high end shoes, now that ive done some reading here on sf im wondering i am correct about them. also what shoes are considered to be truly good quality high end shoes?
I have a tan pair of Ferragomo loafers, no buckles, just plain slip-on Tassle shoes. I can wear 11D or 11.5D, but these 11D shoes are too darn tight, the leather doesn’t stretch to fit my foot. Nice shoes but hardly worth $600. I bought the pair from Nordstrom cheap, they had been a returns, in perfect shape. I’ve also got a pair of crocodile shoes the same way each were under $100
The Ferrogammo shoes are labeled Studio I really don’t know anything about the different qualities. I checked out their store in Waikiki prices were $500-$1200 for men’s shoes the leather is soft the stitching is very good, but I would never pay that kind of cash when I could get two pairs of AE shoes for the same price. Resort stores are strange, nobody buys anything, a few customers stroll in but it was never busy. Designer labels owning resort stores seem to be like a showroom kind of deal and so the company can list status locations on their ads. Paris, Beverly Hills, Palm Beach, New York, Waikiki

CCCFA503-7CC7-402B-8D4E-02C22C35159B.jpeg

Art Fern

Reaction score

Depends on how you walk on them, some people just tread lightly and rubber soles will last forever and for me they usually wear on outer sides most always. I generally prefer leather soled ones since I had some issues with their rubber soles (vibram ones are worse!) wearing out too quickly and they're mostly glued. I do find them to be most comfortable out of 3 of my favorite brands (Ferragamo, Gucci, and Prada) and always go back to them. Out of all Ferragamo Shoes, I would recommend Diego & Parigi, those soles seem to last pretty long.
The Ferragomo’s are very light, compared with Allen Edmond’s which are built for the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads