• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fender bender help

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone in school was backing out of an awkward parking space and hit my car (she was driving a Dodge Dakota). It pushed into the side and brought the metal inward. The bumper got pushed down a little and the paint damaged was buffed out. She stood there the entire period waiting for me to come out to tell me and offer payment etc. She had called her father who offered to pay the fees for it to be fixed. I being a rather new driver (licensed last February) acted poorly by calming her down and saying that it was probably fine and not to worry. The reason I acted that way was because of a book I read, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, but I won't get into that now. I believe in forgiveness and remembering what is important, it is just a car. My parents found out and want an estimate and for her to pay for it. The girl did say that even though I rejected her offers to get it fixed (really because I didn't want to tell my parents), I could contact her about a payment if I needed it. I know I acted poorly but I thought I was doing the right thing, but what I care about is what would this probably cost to get fixed (I live in NY if it matters) and any other info I may need to know about this kind of damage.

Here are the pics:

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

impact.jpg

The car is owned by me, it is not leased.

The has cap is a little lose but it is working fine and opens and locks fine.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So she was pretty hot, eh?

What is the issue here... Her father has offered to pay for it so it's not going to be a financial burden on her. You're going to get your car fixed and your parents will be satisifed that it is fixed.

Do what adults would do and simply bring it to a shop and get an estimate.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
What is the issue here... Her father has offered to pay for it so it's not going to be a financial burden on her. You're going to get your car fixed and your parents will be satisifed that it is fixed.

Do what adults would do and simply bring it to a shop and get an estimate.

This.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I am wondering is how expensive and tough do people think the repair might be. I did contact her and told her I am going to look for estimates, and she informed her parents and they recommended someone, which personally made me go WTF to myself lol.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there's no serious panel damage, which is difficult to tell from a photo, a body shop would probably just need to repaint and blend a couple spots. I'd expect it could be done for less than $500. Perhaps a lot less if you went to one of the cut-rate places such as Maaco.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1700, there turned out to be an issue with the back light, water got inside because of the rain and messed things up.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
$1700, there turned out to be an issue with the back light, water got inside because of the rain and messed things up.
It's a lot, but seems reasonable. I've had minor scrapes and whatnot that were just as costly.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for a new car it sounds reasonable. Especially if they're replacing with brand new parts for the taillight housing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just a question- doesn't car insurance there cover these things?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
just a question- doesn't car insurance there cover these things?
If the other party is agreeing to pay for the whole thing, it might be better so nobody's insurance rates go up.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone in school was backing out of an awkward parking space and hit my car (she was driving a Dodge Dakota). It pushed into the side and brought the metal inward. The bumper got pushed down a little and the paint damaged was buffed out. She stood there the entire period waiting for me to come out to tell me and offer payment etc. She had called her father who offered to pay the fees for it to be fixed. I being a rather new driver (licensed last February) acted poorly by calming her down and saying that it was probably fine and not to worry. The reason I acted that way was because of a book I read, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, but I won't get into that now. I believe in forgiveness and remembering what is important, it is just a car. My parents found out and want an estimate and for her to pay for it. The girl did say that even though I rejected her offers to get it fixed (really because I didn't want to tell my parents), I could contact her about a payment if I needed it. I know I acted poorly but I thought I was doing the right thing, but what I care about is what would this probably cost to get fixed (I live in NY if it matters) and any other info I may need to know about this kind of damage. The car is owned by me, it is not leased. The has cap is a little lose but it is working fine and opens and locks fine.
What I am wondering is how expensive and tough do people think the repair might be. I did contact her and told her I am going to look for estimates, and she informed her parents and they recommended someone, which personally made me go WTF to myself lol.
There is a lesson here somewhere
facepalm.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, if it was her fault, then let her or her parents or one of their insurance companies pay for it. If they want to pay out of pocket, fine. But if you are not at fault, then you do not have to pay anything. In the future, you should report it to the DMV though because it is the law and I had a friend who got burned where he was waiting for the other party to pay up and they ended up reporting it to the DMV and he didn't. If you know the family it probably won't happen in this case.

What begs the most poignant question here is, why in the **** you are wearing Birkenstocks?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
What begs the most poignant question here is, why in the **** you are wearing Birkenstocks?

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
This IS Styleforum!!!

Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads