• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fencing

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
There was another thread on this, but it was over two years old so I figured I'd start a new one. Who are the fencers on here? I think I'm going to take an introductory class to see if I enjoy it, but it's something I've been interested in. Have to choose between foil or epee but I think I'm going to take the epee class because I like being able to hit anywhere and not having to worry about "right of way".

Any tips for a noob, or stories to tell? I'd be interested in seeing how many forumites fence or have fenced.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 4Mica
I fenced in college, epee, miss it a lot. I liked epee because of the ability to counterattack, there is nothing like the feeling of catching someone hard in the mask as they lunge in on you. You will find out it is a lot harder, physically and technique, than it looks and if you are caught just right those blunt tips still hurt as does being whipped by a blade.

just my experience, if you even tihnk you will ever be interested in foil, study that first, person with experience in foil can adapt to the both other styles fairly easily where are who starts out with Ã
00a9.png
00a9.png
e will basically need to retool completely.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did Foil and Sabre and must say I really enjoyed Sabre the most.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fenced epee for about eight years. Stopped when I moved to an area that has a weak fencing community. I miss it but doubt I'd ever go back, the time commitment to be as good as I once was is just too high and I couldn't accept being one of those casual types.

Each weapon has its own mentality. The commonly accepted route is to start with foil then branch out from there and see what suits you. I loved the counterattacking and precision of epee (although lol at counterattacking to someone's head, all about hitting the hand/arm in epee). Sabre is much more aggressive and foil is somewhere in the middle, with a nice strategic edge. One of the nice things about epee is that the refs aren't much of a factor, whereas they can dominate the conversation in foil and sabre.

They all get the wonderful intensity of one on one combat oriented sports. I tried out MMA for awhile and it's a similar feeling but fencing gives it to you without the brutality. Athleticism is important in fencing, but you'll get a lot of out of shape guys who do well enough. It is nice being one of the people with a full tank of gas at the end of a long tournament.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LARP. It's much more hardcore and physically demanding.

BP348

Reaction score
Fencing is something I've always wanted to try but i've never been in an area where it was offered.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fencing is the only sport I really enjoy, but haven't done it in 3 years now. My problem is my ability level seems to be in a black hole in the clubs I go to. I've probaly done 18 months of regular fencing over 10 years, so I'm sort of a beginners level, but every club I go to I am at a far lesser standard than the regular fencers. There are frequent beginners classes, but the people who complete these and are at my level don't tend to stick around afterwards.

The trick for me would be just to turn up and beg the more experienced fencers for fights and pay for individual coaching. This doesn't really suit me, I would really like to find a group of people at my level I could progress alongside.

The op should definitely take a beginners course - it's a really fun sport, you need to think quickly and it is good exercise without seeming to be any real effort.

Star

Reaction score
I prefer the two handed long sword
smile.gif

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
just my experience, if you even tihnk you will ever be interested in foil, study that first, person with experience in foil can adapt to the both other styles fairly easily where are who starts out with Ã
00a9.png
00a9.png
e will basically need to retool completely.

+1 to this. Fenced for a few years at school, started out on foil then started learning saber and did a bit of epee on the side. I never had any epee coaching but with what I learned fencing foil I was able to hold my own against the epee fighters. The foil is not the most exciting, but it is where you should start.

You should do it, its really good fun, I've been thinking about taking it up again.

Dapper Dan

Reaction score
When in college I fenced all three weapons but was best at epee. I think it would be good form to start on foil and learn either/both epee/sabre at a later time. Sabre has the right-of-way rule as foil and epee employs much of the same technique as foil so it would be in your best interest to start off on foil. I'm delighted to hear that there are so many fencer out there!
fight[1].gif

Suave

Reaction score
looks interesting but have heard of nowhere around me that teaches or whatever

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
When in college I fenced all three weapons but was best at epee. I think it would be good form to start on foil and learn either/both epee/sabre at a later time. Sabre has the right-of-way rule as foil and epee employs much of the same technique as foil so it would be in your best interest to start off on foil. I'm delighted to hear that there are so many fencer out there!
fight[1].gif

Dude, holy crap, you joined in 2002, but didn't post until today? That's unbelievable.

Dapper Dan

Reaction score
Touche (pun intended)! Sort of like the joke about the kid that never spoke until the age of ten. His family and friends all thought he was a deaf-mute until he said in disgust, "This sandwich ****************!" Amazed that he was able to speak and express himself quite well at that, his dad asked, "Son, why haven't you never talked before?" The boy replied,"Well, everything was fine until now!"

Actually, I usually just check in to see what I should drink, wear or shave with. I have posted maybe once or twice before. If I remember right I had a question about ascots and another time I responded to questions about Freemasonry. Until then, everything was fine!

Best regards and hope you're all having a great holiday weekend!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads