1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Female staff in men´s restrooms

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fernando, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Just Me

Just Me New Member

My reference to cameras is not place... you presuppose that because a place is presumed to be "public" it voids the right of privacy a person may otherwise be entitled to have. Subsequently, on your premise, cameras would be allowed because the assertion you make is that no right of privacy exists in a "public place" be it presumed or actual. Fortunately however, the courts do no agree with your assertion and the people's protected right of privacy remains in tact.

Assuming that there is another restroom close by, why is it mine or any man's responsibility to use another restroom rather than the responsibility of the cleaning person to demonstrate professionalism and work ethics? The point I am making is that men consistently and enivetiably are forced to sacrifice a great number of things... sacrifices that need not be and do us no positive good in the end and this is just one example. Either we suck it up (no pun intended) and get over our [healthy pride] and right of privacy... or we cave in and give up. Where is the line drawn if we cannot have even the most basic respect in being able to use the restroom in private?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No, you misinterpreted me. I wrote:

thus, my counter-example of the topless beach (the norm in many European countries.) I've asked around, my office is adjacent to the Harvard Law school, and they love arcania like this over there, and it's pretty much the consensus that a constitutional challenge of the type you mention would be laughed out of court in this particular case. Oh, and laws do differ for private and public spaces. Washrooms open to the public fall under a wierd category, sort of like shopping malls and restaurants.

I'm not going to post to this thread anymore. It's getting absurd.

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

Although I agree that the right of a cleaning lady in a men´s bathroom is something men don´t have the opposite way, I really don´t have a problem with it. Initially I had an etiquette decision problem. I didn´t want to be involved in a legal issue or in the best of cases I didn´t want to be rude to the cleaning lady. But personally, if the cleaning lady wants to stay inside that´s her problem. As someone in this forum said. Just hope she likes what she sees. In reality the embarrassing situation should be for the cleaning lady. That´s because ultimately I´m a guy using the guy´s restroom and I´m not doing something wrong, I´m just doing a natural biological function in the right place. But the cleaning lady is a women violating the guy´s privacy. And I think as "just me" said: she either should close the restroom completely so that nobody can use it, or she should leave. If she doesn´t leave then guys have the right to use the restroom. I mean, if we should accept the fact that we have less privacy than women, then at least we should exercise the right to use our own facilities when we want. It´s the cleaning lady the one who should decide either to leave or to stay. Not the guys.

4. BigBear

BigBear New Member

tell her to leave

5. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

tell her to leave
    Thread zombies and n00bs... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Usually it's diddy who does stuff like this...

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'd curl a massive deuce and proceed to ask her for some Grey Poupon.

7. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

She is working a horrible job that likely has horrible pay. Give her a break and wait until she is done, or find another bathroom.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

She is working a horrible job that likely has horrible pay. Give her a break and wait until she is done, or find another bathroom.

+100

This thread has some really ridiculous (and old) commentary.

9. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I actually discussed this w/ a lawyer uncle before, and in Hong Kong, women in men's restrooms are completely legal while men in womens bathrooms is can be sued for legal reasons. [​IMG]

10. raley

raley Senior member

This is crazy, 4 years ago. Styleforum has been around a long time.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Restrooms in Japan are invariably tended by female cleaning staff. That's just part of what you accept living here. Nobody's required to like it.

12. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I would do a few different things here. If there is a cleaning lady in the bathroom I would wait for her to finish (if I can wait) or go find another bathroom. If the lady isn't a cleaning lady, I would kindly mention that she is in the wrong bathroom [​IMG]
    If I can't wait I would just find a secluded stall and do my business there. If all else fails I would just ignore her. It would be annoying but she does have a job to do after all.

JB

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

this is sort of off the topic (and maybe a bit crude) but i just got to say that long ago i went inside a public bathroom and went into a stall to do the number 2.
    as i sat there, there were plenty of others who went into stalls and did their thing.
    i was very amazed at how cthis is sort of off the topic (and maybe a bit crude) but i just got to say that long ago i went inside a public bathroom and went into a stall to do the number 2.
    as i sat there, there were plenty of others who went into stalls and did their thing.
    i was very amazed at how clean the floor was. however, when i exited the stall and started to wash my hand, a lady walked in and was surprised and backed out. i said "sorry, the other side" meaning there was the ladies room the other side of the hall.
    when i finished and left i realized that I WAS in the ladies room.
    ohmigod!

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

this is sort of off the topic (and maybe a bit crude) but i just got to say that long ago i went inside a public bathroom and went into a stall to do the number 2.

Well, the story ended for me here [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. jett

jett Senior member

I'd just be happy there was someone in there keeping guys from trashing the place up. There's nothing worse than a nasty bathroom, even if you're just there to wash your hands. I've walked into bathrooms with a female custodian in there cleaning them, I just say hello and then go about my business. It's no big deal. The one thing that does bother me is people who bring children into bathrooms, mostly since they haven't learned social etiquette yet and have a tendency to be loud and inappropriate. I once saw a 3 or 4 year old girl in the mens room with her dad and she tried to talk to some old man using a urinal. His whole face turned red and he pretended not to notice her.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Well, the story ended for me here [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

lol! ...man, i told you.

17. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I've always been a big fan of any loo with dedicated hj personnel.

18. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

i don't have a problem with this. it is very very common in parts of Europe to have female staff in the public toilets all the time, I have gotten used to this to the point that I don't think about it.

19. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Last week, I walked into the women's restrooms at work while reading and came face to face with a man patching a hole, perched atop the porcelain. He said "I'm sorry." I turned my heels and noticed this sign on the door, after having exited: Restrooms closed, use first floor or basement facilities.

20. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Like all women, she must be wondering what we men talk about in the restroom. Or for that matter if there's really wild gay sex going on inside cubicles like what every female fantasizes about.