1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fellow Australians!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Razele, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Star

Star Senior member

Hey guys,

I'm also from Australia, Melbourne to be exact.

I've been looking for tailor-made shirts for a while now, still haven't pulled the trigger but I've found that herringbone is pretty much the best you can get. They are very modern and funky with top notch quality, you are looking at $400 per shirt though

There is also Sarti Tailors, they are in little collins st. in Melbourne. They have more of a classical look (like rhodes & beckett). $350 for the first shirt, $250 thereafter

If you're looking for cheap tailor made but with somewhat limited fabrics, you can check out Abelard, a store called Cavalier in Camberwell on Burke rd will do it for you. $200 a shirt with $250 for the first one.

Hope this helps for anyone else in Melbourne, I'm always looking for more tailors and such myself though, so please let me know your $0.02. [​IMG]

What Sydney has over Melbourne is simple......Charles Nahkle

2. pvpatty

pvpatty Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm also from Australia, Melbourne to be exact. I've been looking for tailor-made shirts for a while now, still haven't pulled the trigger but I've found that herringbone is pretty much the best you can get. They are very modern and funky with top notch quality, you are looking at $400 per shirt though There is also Sarti Tailors, they are in little collins st. in Melbourne. They have more of a classical look (like rhodes & beckett). $350 for the first shirt, $250 thereafter If you're looking for cheap tailor made but with somewhat limited fabrics, you can check out Abelard, a store called Cavalier in Camberwell on Burke rd will do it for you. $200 a shirt with $250 for the first one. Hope this helps for anyone else in Melbourne, I'm always looking for more tailors and such myself though, so please let me know your $0.02. [​IMG]
    Respectfully, I would not give Herringbone custom shirts to a dog. In fact, my experience in this matter has put me off the company altogether. About this time last year, I walked into the Brisbane store to ask about custom shirts. After standing around for about 3 mins (in a tiny shop) before anyone saw fit to ask me if I needed assistance, I queried a salesperson who went and got the manager. She then told me that custom shirts were available, starting at $400 and going up to $600. I was a little shocked at this, but nevertheless asked if they had a swatch book so that I could see some of the shirting fabrics on offer. No samples were available, but there was a folder that had printed photos of the various fabrics. As I began flipping through, the manager warned me: "They only make up the custom shirts out of the fabric left over from the regular line of shirts, so it changes with each season and if there's none left you can't get it." At that point, I thanked them for their time and walked out. I have since been back into Herringbone once, hoping to have a look at the 'Osaka' cut suits that have been favorably commented upon here. The fellow I asked didn't know what I was talking about, but he told me that it was his first day so I didn't hold it against him. Once again, they fetched for the manager, and she told me that they didn't have any Osaka cuts in stock. This was after I waited for about 4 minutes. Once my query was curtly answered, she quickly palmed me off. I was left standing in the middle of the store awkwardly before again walking out with a sour taste in my mouth. The level of service was appalling. After the first time I walked up the road to Anthony Squires to ask if they did custom shirting. The chap in there was very friendly, showed me the fabrics, told me that prices started at about $275, engaged in conversation and was on the whole very pleasant. My impression was that Anthony Squires, while perhaps not the pinnacle of quality, were sensible people to do business with. My impression of Herringbone (at least in Brisbane) was that they were a bunch of arrogant shysters.

3. joneblaze

joneblaze Member

PVPatty - looks like you've missed out up north in Brissy. I visited Ethan, the head Tailor at the SYdney QVB store after reading the favourable reviews on SF (ZGent, PG, etc) and he was nothing but a wealth of information and displayed close to the best customer service I've ever received. This was despite the fact that (due to his own honesty) their (very well cut and priced) OTR suits did not quite fit me right, remaining slightly too long for me even after alteration, and hence I left emptyhanded. Ethan was extremely patient and very helpful in educating me on basic terms and concepts. I'd also suggest that having a bespoke/MTM shirt from him in Sydney would be a sound investment. Their fabrics are great and he seems to really know his craft. I visited their Chatswood Chase store this weekend to check out the Osaka suit one last time (yes, still too long for my torso in my opinion) and the sales girl there was a little lost and threw out some fairly random tailoring comments which indicated she didn't quite possess a decent level of knowledge to service clients fully - yet was still extremely polite and friendly. I think it comes down to the store you visit, and the staff you interact with on the day. In a perfect world all quality retail shops would hire only the best client facing staff, but unfortunately this isn't the case. I'd recommend you reconsider Herringbone again, as what their suits and shirts seem fantastic for the price - from what I've seen. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. pvpatty

pvpatty Well-Known Member

PVPatty - looks like you've missed out up north in Brissy.

I visited Ethan, the head Tailor at the SYdney QVB store after reading the favourable reviews on SF (ZGent, PG, etc) and he was nothing but a wealth of information and displayed close to the best customer service I've ever received. This was despite the fact that (due to his own honesty) their (very well cut and priced) OTR suits did not quite fit me right, remaining slightly too long for me even after alteration, and hence I left emptyhanded.

Ethan was extremely patient and very helpful in educating me on basic terms and concepts.

I'd also suggest that having a bespoke/MTM shirt from him in Sydney would be a sound investment. Their fabrics are great and he seems to really know his craft.

I visited their Chatswood Chase store this weekend to check out the Osaka suit one last time (yes, still too long for my torso in my opinion) and the sales girl there was a little lost and threw out some fairly random tailoring comments which indicated she didn't quite possess a decent level of knowledge to service clients fully - yet was still extremely polite and friendly.

I think it comes down to the store you visit, and the staff you interact with on the day. In a perfect world all quality retail shops would hire only the best client facing staff, but unfortunately this isn't the case. I'd recommend you reconsider Herringbone again, as what their suits and shirts seem fantastic for the price - from what I've seen.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

I have heard good things about Ethan and the Sydney store(s), and for this reason added the "at least in Brisbane" caveat. It's a great shame that the quality of service up here is so different.

5. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

I've got a question.

Has anyone heard of the brand "P.O. Box"?

My friend asked me about a suit from them. I'm assuming its a "fashion brand."

6. neyus

neyus Senior member

I've got a question.

Has anyone heard of the brand "P.O. Box"?

My friend asked me about a suit from them. I'm assuming its a "fashion brand."

Are you serious? PO Box is absolute crud!! Defenitely not fit for a dog with 3 amputated legs.

7. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

Not sure why this was bumped, but P.O. Box is about as good as Casual Guy, Box Canyon and Man-to-Man, which is to say not very.

8. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

My friend was in Melbourne at the time and he sent me an email asking me (we dont have P.O. Box here). He ended up not buying the suit, as he sent me pictures and I told him the fit was extremely boxy, on my advice he didnt buy it.

9. royal618

royal618 Senior member

I have to say my experiences with Herringbone in recent times have been absolutely poor. Not to mention that the construction quality of their suits has decreased in recent times.

Anyway, they've gone into receivership right now, so who knows even if they are still open.

Go and see Charles. Sorted you will be.

Peter Sheppard was stocking AE's about a year ago. I simply found my correct style and ordered online. There are different lasts admittedly, but it seems I did just fine with what I ordered.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Particularly bearing in mind what you can buy over the internet, I've always thought that Herringbone's shirts were terribly overpriced for what you get. Admittedly, the collar and cuffs are unfused and the material is often quite nice, but the stitching is so-so, the general construction is not great, and the buttons are plastic.

However, I do really like their suits, particularly when on sale.
    Compared to the Maltese-made suits of a couple of years ago, the last few seasons of Japanese-made suits have been spectacular. If they stay open and if they continue to make suits like the ones that I already have in my wardrobe, I'll keep on buying them.
    As pvpatty pointed out, the staff at the Brisbane store are not great, with the exception of Melissa, who is very helpful, polite and friendly.

I don't know about nowadays, but I had a look at AEs in my local Peter Sheppard store about a year ago. The store didn't have in stock, but they gladly ordered some in for me, even though I had made it clear that I didn't even know if they would fit and thus could not guarantee that I would be able to purchase any.

The Cloakroom fellows are nice, but their styling is still a little off in my opinion.
    Still, they are very friendly and are happy to try to accommodate different tastes and desires.
    Depending on the fabrics available, I might try ordering a couple of shirts from them soon, particularly if they can do a higher collar band.

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Peter Sheppard had a big sale last year that went on for months, where they were knocking Park Avenues out at around $200. By the time I found out about it, they'd sold out of my size. Story of my life.