1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling stuck...(IT work)

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by poena, May 15, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I'd throw OpenSUSE on that list. We used it a lot because we have mostly SLES where I work.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Ya those salaries pretty much suck, but if they're for kids straight out of school I'm not sure what kind of experience you could really have, in which case they're pretty damned good because what you learn in school doesn't translate to industry at all in IT.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

run Linux in VMware, but if you really need to get comfortable fast, make it your primary machine so that you're forced to use it every day. More enterprises that are on Linux use redhat, so go with centos, which is exactly the same. but if it's not for an admin role, just use a more desktopy variant of Linux like Ubuntu or opensuse.

If you really want to get your hands dirty you could go with this, which will teach you to build the os from source, how different parts of the os interact, etc: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

^ Cheers, will give it a go tonight

[​IMG]

5. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

The above is very true. As part of my interview for the company I work for I had to build a CentOS VM and STIG it (since we're in the DoD space), as we're moving into our new space we're also moving away from using VMware in house and are working on deploying Red Hat's virtualization software as it's significantly cheaper.

6. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

This is pretty true. I have somewhat relevant experience with some of the Federal guidelines I have to deal with but for the most part the money's good considering our only real asset is our potential.

7. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

.and they will work you 70+ hours a week and sometimes make you travel. But if you can get 3 years under your belt it will help you. BUT, remember, working for these big firms in IT doesn't carry as much weight as working for them as an accountant.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  8. byau

byau Member

Joining a big box IT consulting firm is more about the outs... people either try to lateral over to Strategy divisions with the same firm, apply to MBA, or join a startup in a CTO / technology position.