• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling lost/confused style-wise, help from the Vets? How do I find it?

boxdiver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Don't ever go into a store and ask the sales associate what they think you should buy. Chances are, they'll show you some product that they'll receive a commission from OR they'll point out a product that the company is currently trying to push. Either way, the decision will rarely be personalized to you. At your age and in your profession, it doesn't seem that there are many demands on what you wear. I'd say that your best bet is to look around your job and see what types of things pass as acceptable. Also, take into account the way that people who have the job that you want are dressed. From there, you can come up with a basic combination of items to fit the bill. Add in a few pieces that don't necessarily fit in with work but catch you eye as well. No one can come up with your style. You have to do that for youself. Even a lot of the "vets" here wear clothes that I think are butt-ugly. There's a reason for why it's YOUR style.
My issue at work is that I don't exactly work in a field where nice clothing is a pre-req...even the highest people in the company. Let's just say our VP could be mistaken for a bum off the street half the time.
Originally Posted by Frodo
Yes, it's definitely worth it to have things tailored, so long as you're starting with good stuff. Fit is the most important thing, period. But a good alterations tailor can only do so much, so try to get as close as you can. Buying clothing online, (new or used), unless you are very familiar with sizing particulars, can often be a waste of time and money, as you wind up with clothes that cannot be made to fit or look well. Thrifting can be a great source of used items that you can actually try on. Fit is, in my opinion, where the "slippery slope" starts. Once you have a few things that fit you perfectly, you're ruined for straight off the rack (because you know you'll just have to get them altered). If you can get a great fit with OTR, count your blessings. You should know ahead of time the fit you're going for, and pictures are very helpful. It would be worth a two hour drive to get your clothes fixed by a good tailor. Time very well spent.
Understood. Thanks. A few more things: As I mentioned, my job requires anything but fashion. What I wear is essentially going to be weekend things...and things off the job. My shoes: Two pairs of boat shoes One pair of black dress shoes (a few years old, need to be replaced) Gym shoes Desert Boots Would I like a pair of AE's? Absolutely. Sure, I could buy them...but I'd rarely ever wear them...which is one of my other problems. I think with all of these purchases I want "Am I going to wear these once/month? If I can't definitely answer "yes," I don't buy it. Shirts: Some v-necks, T's Some OCBD's Pants: Dark/Light Chinos American Eagle/Gap Jeans Another example: I'd love to buy a Navy blazer, but I wonder if it's even worth it since I would rarely wear it.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
This is not entirely true, there are SA's out there that can do a fantastic job if you let them.

That's why I said, "chances are" rather than "they always" or a similar opening.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
Thanks guys. One more question:

The Tailor

Obviously when you're spending a lot of money on clothing, it's probably a given that you have a tailor. But what about someone like myself in their mid 20's? If I buy a $50 shirt, is it worth it to spend $20 to get it fitted? Same with Chino shorts...if I spend $40, is it worth $20 to get them tapered?

Lastly, how much confidence should someone have in a tailor? For example when I go in, should I be able to say "tailor this so that it fits my body in the best way possible?" Or is it expected that I know exactly what I want?

Thanks.

Dont run to the tailor right away, you'll regret the money you sink into it. Spend some time finding clothing that fits you OTR first.

I cant tell you how much money I sunk into shirts to have them tapered and darted only to realize that sizing down to a neck size that actually fit (rather then going by someones measurement) allowed me to buy a shirt that fit perfectly OTR.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's why I said, "chances are" rather than "they always" or a similar opening.

You said it in a way that's very negative and not accurate. Find an SA with good style and work with them for a while and you'll turn out quite well if you're inexperienced or dont have style.

vincerich

Reaction score
My issue at work is that I don't exactly work in a field where nice clothing is a pre-req...even the highest people in the company. Let's just say our VP could be mistaken for a bum off the street half the time.

Understood. Thanks.

A few more things:

As I mentioned, my job requires anything but fashion. What I wear is essentially going to be weekend things...and things off the job.

My shoes:

Two pairs of boat shoes
One pair of black dress shoes (a few years old, need to be replaced)
Gym shoes
Desert Boots

Would I like a pair of AE's? Absolutely. Sure, I could buy them...but I'd rarely ever wear them...which is one of my other problems. I think with all of these purchases I want "Am I going to wear these once/month? If I can't definitely answer "yes," I don't buy it.

I guess my job doesn't help since I'm not forced to pick out a nice outfit every morning. I just know that I need to ditch my old wardrobe.

I understand where you're coming from. In that case, I guess it will be a balancing act for you. Look beyond your company at your field in general. What do employees in similar positions wear? What do people who have the job that you want in your field wear? What type of image do you see for yourself/what would you feel comfortable wearing? There are a lot of simple things (like v-neck sweaters, which I love) that can be added to rather casual outfits to spruce them up a bit.

You're in a lucky situation. There's no uniform or strict dress-code, so you can branch out in a lot of directions. I'd say that regardless of what you buy, you should make sure that you have the fit down.

vincerich

Reaction score
You said it in a way that's very negative and not accurate. Find an SA with good style and work with them for a while and you'll turn out quite well if you're inexperienced or dont have style.

I said it in a way that is a very accurate description of a lot of sales associates. Since I didn't say "all" I'll stick to my assertion. Either way, I'm not in the mood for an e-sissy slap fight. Next thread....

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I said it in a way that is a very accurate description of a lot of sales associates. Since I didn't say "all" I'll stick to my assertion. Either way, I'm not in the mood for an e-sissy slap fight. Next thread....
You're getting your panties in a wad. I can imagine you walking into a store and barking at the SAs who try to help you because they're making a commission when you buy something.

Frodo

Reaction score
Dont run to the tailor right away, you'll regret the money you sink into it. Spend some time finding clothing that fits you OTR first.

I cant tell you how much money I sunk into shirts to have them tapered and darted only to realize that sizing down to a neck size that actually fit (rather then going by someones measurement) allowed me to buy a shirt that fit perfectly OTR.

Truth. When the Great Purge comes (and it will...) you'll be throwing away all that tailoring in addition to the clothes. That's why I hinted that you need to make sure that what you get tailored is a quality item that you'll stand by. If you thrift and pick up an Oxxford blazer and some Brooks Brothers shirts, and they need work, chances are they're worth it. I have an armload of well-fitting crap upstairs that needs to go to the guillotine. Just summoning up the courage.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to dress above your expectation too. In my job a lot of my peers wear the standard bus/casual button down and khakis. aaaarrrgh! I will often wear suit, tie, cufflinks, pocket square etc. if I feel like it even though that's way above the requirement. You feel good stepping out in classic stylish threads and quite often get compliments as you are noticed for the right reasons. Might not always work depending on your line of work but something to consider.

Wideknot

Reaction score

Understood. Thanks.

A few more things:

As I mentioned, my job requires anything but fashion. What I wear is essentially going to be weekend things...and things off the job.

My shoes:

Two pairs of boat shoes
One pair of black dress shoes (a few years old, need to be replaced)
Gym shoes
Desert Boots

Would I like a pair of AE's? Absolutely. Sure, I could buy them...but I'd rarely ever wear them...which is one of my other problems. I think with all of these purchases I want "Am I going to wear these once/month? If I can't definitely answer "yes," I don't buy it.

Shirts:

Some v-necks, T's
Some OCBD's

Pants:

Dark/Light Chinos
American Eagle/Gap Jeans

Another example: I'd love to buy a Navy blazer, but I wonder if it's even worth it since I would rarely wear it.

I don't mean to sound rude but, I have to wonder, why are you here? If your career leans to "bum off the street" looks, and your weekend wear would so rarely include a navy blazer that it doesn't warrant purchasing, why are you asking fashion questions on a men's style forum? Your lifestyle doesn't include style or fashion. That's not a judgement, just an observation. Chinos, jeans, tees and OCBD's are clothes, but hardly style. If you want to change your direction, start by buying the damn blazer. Every man needs at least one because it is the most versatile jacket you can own. And then, once you've bought it, WEAR IT. Not because you should, or because those around you expect it, but because you WANT TO. Wear it with jeans, wear it with chinos, wear it bed with your PJ's until you become so comfortable in it that taking it off seems odd.

boxdiver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
I don't mean to sound rude but, I have to wonder, why are you here? If your career leans to "bum off the street" looks, and your weekend wear would so rarely include a navy blazer that it doesn't warrant purchasing, why are you asking fashion questions on a men's style forum? Your lifestyle doesn't include style or fashion. That's not a judgement, just an observation. Chinos, jeans, tees and OCBD's are clothes, but hardly style. If you want to change your direction, start by buying the damn blazer. Every man needs at least one because it is the most versatile jacket you can own. And then, once you've bought it, WEAR IT. Not because you should, or because those around you expect it, but because you WANT TO. Wear it with jeans, wear it with chinos, wear it bed with your PJ's until you become so comfortable in it that taking it off seems odd.

You do sound rude. So it's not okay to ask for people's opinion? And because I work in an environment that doesn't encourage style I'm not welcome here?

You're like one of those meatheads in the gym who gives dirty looks to the skinny guys who come in to try and improve themselves physically. Get off your high horse. Maybe I should say that because I'm better looking than you that you can't be on the same post as me...or because I have a lower bodyfat you can't either. Would that be fair?

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
You do sound rude. So it's not okay to ask for people's opinion? And because I work in an environment that doesn't encourage style I'm not welcome here?

You're like one of those meatheads in the gym who gives dirty looks to the skinny guys who come in to try and improve themselves physically. Get off your high horse. Maybe I should say that because I'm better looking than you that you can't be on the same post as me...or because I have a lower bodyfat you can't either. Would that be fair?

Well generally here we lean towards the more formal with sportsjackets, good shoes, nice suits. Many of these things can be discussed in depth. However jeans/chinos and t shirts and OCBDs do not invite so much discussion. There are no regional tailoring styles of t shirts for example. Perhaps you might be better of at SW&D but perhaps not.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The standard advice by members has changed over the years.

Shoes - burgundy lace-ups with rubber soles should be okay for almost any situation and go with various types of clothing. Buy something that you can at least try on locally.

Material, color, pattern, and fit are some elements that give you style while still meeting the unwritten dress code. Also, accessories. For certain body types, how to tailor items is up to discretion. For most people, trust the tailor - but still start with just an item or two to test his or her service.

It's hard to give more advice, due to lack of information. Also, the website is down at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads