• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feel like I'm going nowhere in life

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was like this too, only I had dropped out of high school and my dead-end job was kind of a result of that. I didn't know what I wanted to do and to be honest I only have a vague idea now, but the simple act of going back to school has really opened my eyes to the possibilities and I have a better idea now than I ever have.

So my suggestion? Re-educate yourself in various subjects (anything you can think of) and see what sticks, pick a book at random from the library and see if you enjoy the topic; ultimately by finding out what you don't like, you will also find out what you do like.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I was like this too, only I had dropped out of high school and my dead-end job was kind of a result of that. I didn't know what I wanted to do and to be honest I only have a vague idea now, but the simple act of going back to school has really opened my eyes to the possibilities and I have a better idea now than I ever have.

So my suggestion? Re-educate yourself in various subjects (anything you can think of) and see what sticks, pick a book at random from the library and see if you enjoy the topic; ultimately by finding out what you don't like, you will also find out what you do like.

Let me fast forward your life for you. You will like something that doesn't make any money. Llamadrama will ensue. You will pick between career for money and supporting family and "passion". If you are lucky that is - many will not have the money or the passion choice. It's not as simple as "do wat u love, bro".

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Let me fast forward your life for you. You will like something that doesn't make any money. Llamadrama will ensue. You will pick between career for money and supporting family and "passion". If you are lucky that is - many will not have the money or the passion choice. It's not as simple as "do wat u love, bro".
Ok, perhaps my post was a bit ambitious, but I don't believe it's as black and white as you make it. I'm sure most people can find a common ground between what interests them and what pays, so long as they are willing to make a bit of compromise. Admittedly I'm being a bit vague about what constitutes compromise, but it would depend on your interests and how aligned they are with the job market. Sure some areas like Art & Music would probably involve some big compromises, but I don't believe that they'd have to give up their interest in the area altogether.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It's not as simple as "do wat u love, bro".

No, but if you find something you do love then you know what you want in life and you can re-arrange the rest to make it work.
If what you love can be done as a financially viable career that you are qualified to get into then great, but even if its painting impressionist pictures of hamsters you at least know what you want out of life and you can work, and it will be work, to structure your life and day job so you can spend as much time as possible painting those hamsters.

At least that's how it seems to me. I have worked out some things I like, and some things I don't and I have a plan for the next few years to ensure I can do as much of the former stuff and as little of the latter as possible. I may not stick to the plan, it may not work out, but its something to do and a kind of "meaning".

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ But, what is 'forward' ? That is the question.

word

Reaction score
Stop trying to convince yourself you're at a dead end. It seems like you're just looking at all the negatives and letting them tear you down. Look at what's positive, things you can work with to open up opportunities elsewhere. In the mean time learn how to have fun. Pick a couple hobbies and run with it.

I have fun by keeping myself engaged in a variety of hobbies. Some of them are expensive and more difficult to do. Others are dirt cheap. On any given weekend I'm cycling, hiking or backpacking, shooting, sailing(on a lake though
plain.gif
but I make the most if it), drinking and shooting the **** with my friends, and recently starcrafting since it just came out. My job ain't anything to brag about, but I see opportunities within it that I can run with. But I still enjoy myself.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forward is objective, it's what you wish it to be. For some it's a higher paying job and for others it's a lower paying job you enjoy more.

One thing many seem to think is the be all and end all is that you need a uni/college degree to be successful or happy or get where you are going. This is bullshit. Most of the really really successful people are not university educated, they just have a lot of common sense and a really good work ethic. I have never been to uni and have every confidence that once I'm 50 I will be very wealthy (I'm 30 now and have only got my **** together the last 3 years).

If you think you can't do something then you've already given up if you ask me.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Most of the really really successful people are not university educated.

And there goes your credibility.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Interesting you should mention it, some nights when I am unable to sleep feel like smothering the wife and child and breaking free (though I have no idea what break free means). Feel even more frustrated knowing I will never have the balls to do it.

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
am i the only one disturbed by this admission?

No, but it's ironic to me that this is the same guy that railed against prostitution. His situation is exactly what good hookers are for.

Anyway, I can understand the sentiment of resenting your kids though. That's why i'm not married and don't have kids. When I think about the grind that having kids entails, i'm not sure I want to subject myself to it. Every day you go to work to earn money, and then when you get home you have to make dinner for everyone, or drive kids around, or nag them to do their homework. You rarely have time to do the things you want to do. Unless you're really baller, vacations become more difficult, 2-3 times more expensive, and less enjoyable.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I dont have any thing against prostitutes and their clients. IIRC, my question at that time was why a white guy who seemed to able to pick up white chicks would go to Thailand just to screw whores. or something like that

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stop using the unfortunate death of you father as a crutch!
Sukkk it up! Take a week off of work(or a long wkend), go away(with some of that 30K) and relax and clear your head. Focus and think of a direction that you would like to go in and when you come back, execute...

JacobJacob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Camus is sort of an underdeveloped existentialist. Life is only absurd if we assume that pain and suffering marsupial happiness--to be precise, they only marsupial pleasure. If one is capable of the sort of psychological reprogramming that Camus suggests in order to accept absurdity, why not do one better and accept suffering as a positive experience? In doing so, we don't have to fight the logic that life is absurd, because it would no longer be absurd at all. Anyway, I don't see why a preoccupation with "thoughts, people, and habits" precludes existential affirmation.
Even though I somewhat agree with you, the absurdity and the suffereing inflicted by it would still be present. Unless you belief humans has a static existence, you would have to make this choice of accepting the absurdity again and again and again. The choice thus becomes absurd in itself. Beside this, it shows that absurdity is an intractable condition of our existence. However, by choosing to accept the absurdity you also take a more authentic stand toward life. This is how the experience of absurdity can be grasped positively.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you say absurdity one more time please?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads