• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Feedback Please: 21oz Indigo-Dyed Sashiko Tote Bag

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey everyone,

I'd love to get your feedback on this product. I've sourced this incredible 21oz Japanese Sashiko Pique cloth, which is the toughest and heaviest variant that I've ever seen. It's rare, and there's just one roll with enough to make about 70 bags. I bought it all.

I'm thinking that this can make a great holiday present. And since it's a very understandable product that's not sized, it's a good candidate for a preorder project. The fabric was really expensive (over 3x as much as the sashiko we typically use), and it's fully made (sewn and dyed) in Los Angeles, so the retail would realistically be about $135. But I could probably swing $95 if guys were willing to commit to it and accept it as final sale. We'd get everything made and shipped out by Thanksgiving.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. The only change that I'm currently planning to what you see is adding a snap right in the center that will allow you to close the top. The preorder would allow you to have the logo label on either the exterior (as shown), or the interior. And we'll surely run the indigo color that you see, plus I could probably do a second colorway in army green, charcoal, black, etc.

Thanks!

kongmw

Reaction score
Looks great! Is it possible to add an interior pocket (like the one exterior, sorry if it's there already and I just missed it) and potentially the logo on that? Personally I like having a small compartment for random things that I don't want to keep fishing out of the bottom of the bag for. A charcoal colorway would be dope too!

Either way great work and I'm ready for that preorder.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looks great! Is it possible to add an interior pocket (like the one exterior, sorry if it's there already and I just missed it) and potentially the logo on that? Personally I like having a small compartment for random things that I don't want to keep fishing out of the bottom of the bag for. A charcoal colorway would be dope too!

Either way great work and I'm ready for that preorder.
Thank you and great suggestion!

The original design actually called for a hanging interior pocket, but this fabric was too thick to execute it. At the moment it’s totally open inside, but let me see... maybe we can do something without a pattern change. Time is of the essence as I know everyone would want it by thanksgiving but might be possible

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool tote. I’m not in the market for one but it’s a great idea 👍

Racing Green

Reaction score
I like totes and I like sashiko so I'm in, especially at $95. A shoulder strap would be great but Mike said on IG that it would be cost prohibitive.

I have a few of the Battenwear totes and the ones with the extra strap get much more use but it's not a deal breaker.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like totes and I like sashiko so I'm in, especially at $95. A shoulder strap would be great but Mike said on IG that it would be cost prohibitive.

I have a few of the Battenwear totes and the ones with the extra strap get much more use but it's not a deal breaker.
Awesome, I'm excited for this!

I'll definitely keep a shoulder strap in mind for the future. From my experience, the $100 price point is a hard limit for most guys on a product like this, and we're already at tight margins due to the cost of this fabric and how labor intensive it is to work with it. The straps do give plenty of room to wear the bag on your shoulder though, and it sits really comfortably there.

Couple of developments from our side:

1) The factory can cut and make these totes pretty quickly. Which means, we can have them delivered at the same time as the Stylefourm Doyles... they'll all be dyed together.

2) And that means... on Saturday, I'm going to offer these in FIVE colors. Good lord. You can get it in:
Azure Blue, Army Green, Merlot, Mink Brown, and..... Shadow Ink!

3) I definitely want an interior pocket on this. I can't guarantee that (this fabric is insanely thick and difficult for detailed stitching), but I think that we'll have a way to do it.

4) The bag will close with a hidden snap right at the top

I'm irrationally excited for this bag. We've never made anything like this and the response has been awesome. It will make a great holiday gift too. The cloth was expensive, but who knows if I can ever get more at this weight and it was worth it. More details to come!

And my god.. this thing is freaking bulletproof. I can't imagine this fabric ever quitting. Fades and aging are going to be insane on it.

edwinl

Reaction score
Is the azure blue the indigo or not? Wasn't sure so I went for the shadow ink

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is the azure blue the indigo or not? Wasn't sure so I went for the shadow ink
oh yes it’s the blue that’s pictured in the sample. If you change your mind, just send me a PM before 11/15. The bags are in sewing now, so they can still be done in any color

zippyh

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah definitely move the logo inside.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Great to see you guys!

I didn't have anyone write notes in the comments, and we've sold about 40 bags so far. Let me ask.. does anyone here on this thread want the logo on the outside? I guess we could just put them on the inside by default.

kongmw

Reaction score
Great to see you guys!

I didn't have anyone write notes in the comments, and we've sold about 40 bags so far. Let me ask.. does anyone here on this thread want the logo on the outside? I guess we could just put them on the inside by default.
I thought I'd noted to have the logo on the inside for my order? Maybe I misunderstood your post here or somehow checking out with Paypal left my note out of the order. Can PM you order number if necessary. Appreciate it!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cool, don't worry.. I'll probably do a quick mailer to everyone who preordered about the logo treatment, and we'll put it inside the bag unless told otherwise. They're only doing the initial cutting right now, still about 7-10 days out from that stage even happening.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 140 29.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%