• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feedback on steve's book

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally saw Steve's book in a bookstore, read it, and I just wanted to comment on it since he's going to be writing a new edition soon.

I would have prefered it to be more in depth, but I'm not the person you're trying to write the book for. For what you're trying to do, seems like it could help a lot of men out there.

Steve mentioned about finding good values at outlets. I would have prefered it if he would have warned people out there that a lot of the stuff sold at these outlets are specifically manufactured to be sold at the outlets.

The graph about which colors would work with your skin tone and eyes seemed a little confusing. I didn't know what you were refering to when you used 'furnishings.'

There was a part about button down dress shirts. I always thought that since its button down, it makes it less formal, and therefore, shoulnd't be worn with suits.

And, there really should have been more pictures. It would have helped to be able to visualize what Steve was talking about.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Points all noted and agreed with...

I think the average guy would disagree with you on the button down issue- that's who the book was written for. Not the guys who are on this Forum. I'm convinced many of you could even teach Alan Flusser a thing or two.

I didn't say a lot about the outlets and E-Bay for a number of reasons. Let's just say I've changed my mind, and will approach it from a different angle next edition.

Thanks for buying it. Of course I'll be running a special for Forum Members and first edition purchasers when the new edition comes out. Also may ask some members to help write sections...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was a part about button down dress shirts. I always thought that since its button down, it makes it less formal, and therefore, shoulnd't be worn with suits.
It really depends on the suit, the shirt, and the situation, don't you think?

It would be perfectly appropriate, for example, to wear a button-down oxford shirt with a seersucker or cotton poplin suit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the suit, the shirt, and the situation, don't you think?

It would be perfectly appropriate, for example, to wear a button-down oxford shirt with a seersucker or cotton poplin suit.

Or in the winter, a button down flanneled shirt (a la Luciano Barbera) with a heavy weight, glenpaid suit. (Yes, ernest, for farmers - the Luciano Barbera look is essentially "Italian country gentleman"). There are numerous instances when a button down shirt would go well with a suit (although I personally eschew them.)

I agree that high quality color photographs would bring the book up to the next level, although I recognize that this would cost a lot more. Perhaps in the second edition of the book, the value and attractiveness of the book could be increased by decreasing the page count, but adding a number of high quality photographs. The sections on specialty stores and websites could be exclusively online, and the book could refer the reader to the (everchanging) website. Steve, you might even convince forum members to submit reviews on that website.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve,
I enjoyed your book very, very much and have referred to it a good deal. I defended it vigorously over on the Andy Forum although I don't know whether that may have displeased Mr. Gilchrist or not. Your color coordination charts gave me some new ideas. Please, please, do NOT relegate all the information about stores, etc., to your website. I found it very valuable, even though I know this material can get dated fast. Maybe it's just my age (I guess I'm one of the oldest guys on the Forum), but I still prefer the pages of a good book to a VDT. Will be looking forward very much to the new edition.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
JL:

Thanks.

Andy and I are good friends. I recommend his book and he recommends mine. In publishing when the tide comes in, all the boats rise together.

LAG is exactly right on the cost of the pictures. Writing and publishing a book is an expensive proposition. But at least I'm more experienced at it now. I'd like to do an intermediate edition with the focus on a higher end customer. Then maybe 5 years down the line do one like Dressing the Man, except with multiple authors, and I'd just edit.

Or we could co-op a Style Forum edition and sell shares. I've done a pro-forma for a couple of companies figuring sales of 10,000 over 2 years, which is pretty conservative. It could be a big financial success at that number. Anyone interested before I approach more corporations?

Just dreaming at this stage...

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pictures don't necessairly have to be the high glossy pictures if Steve is worried about the cost. I think that for some basic issues about the construction or what to look for in a high quality shirt or tie, it could be done with sketches. Apparel Arts is the Holy Grail, and they relied soley on sketches.

I think H&K has a diagram on their website of a quality shirt, and it showed all the things you wanted. That's what I'm trying to talk about. And, a picture of single-needle stitching would be good. Whenever some book mentions this, they never show it so you have no idea what they're talking about. And, a diagram deconstructing a tie, what you should look for could also be done with a sketch as well.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Esquire-

More good suggestions.

Thank You.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally saw Steve's book in a bookstore, read it, and I just wanted to comment on it since he's going to be writing a new edition soon.

I would have prefered it to be more in depth, but I'm not the person you're trying to write the book for. For what you're trying to do, seems like it could help a lot of men out there.

Steve mentioned about finding good values at outlets. I would have prefered it if he would have warned people out there that a lot of the stuff sold at these outlets are specifically manufactured to be sold at the outlets.

The graph about which colors would work with your skin tone and eyes seemed a little confusing. I didn't know what you were refering to when you used 'furnishings.'

And, there really should have been more pictures. It would have helped to be able to visualize what Steve was talking about.
I agree button down collar are definitly NOT dressy and should NOT be worn with a suit or at least with a tie.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
On the button down thing- you guys would have to preach to half the lawyers, accountants, and conservative businessmen in America. It's too big a job IMO. Brooks Bros did a great job in the 50s and 60s marketing the soft roll button down collar... If we could just get everbody to start by not wearing them with double breasted suits.
smile.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If we could just get everbody to start by not wearing them with double breasted suits.
smile.gif
Or, if they insist on it, at least to do it with the style and panache of the likes of Luciano Barbera and Fred Astaire.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Excellent point, John.

scottmag

Reaction score
I think that for some basic issues about the construction or what to look for in a high quality shirt or tie, it could be done with sketches.
Great idea. There are so many elements of suit construction that the average man does not understand and really have to be visualized. Like the different types of lapels and pockets. The stuff that the readers of this forum notice immediately, but most men are probably unaware of. Most of this stuff could be done with illustrations. I'm not sure that you really need color for anything unless you do some sort of comparison. Or attempting to show what colors go with different skin tones.

Scott

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with LAGuy about a website for the stores. I understand why it was put in; there's a vaccum for something like that. But, I think something like that gets outdated real easily. I just felt that all those pages and info held the book back from being as great as it could have been.

But, if you're going to keep it, why not incorporate those stores for info. Have those store owners say something about the specs of a quality store. It lets them shine, and it gives the book a certain air of authority.

Also, a section about frequently asked questions would be a nice addition. Not stuff like what color the shoes need to be, but more like " I want to dress for success, and therefore start dressing better. But, my boss really doesn't. What should I do" or "I want to copy the dress of my boss, but will my coworkers think I'm a brown noser".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads