• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feedback on M2M Shirt (cross posted)

neminat

Reaction score
imgur Pics - I really should have re-tucked my shirt in. It looks terrible in these pics. I assure you it looks much better than it appears in the front shots.

If the link above doesnt work try this one: https://www.styleforum.net/media/albums/feedback-shirt.736558/

I need some help identifying why I have so much extra fabric in the armhole on my Spier and Mackay (M2M) shirts. I want to make another purchase during their sale so I need some feedback before it ends . I want to start this thread stating that I am really happy with nearly everything on my S&M shirts. I am also extremely happy with the level of service I have received. There is no doubt I am interested in continuing to do business with S&M but I would like to resolve one pain point so here goes.

I have worked with their service and we can’t quite pinpoint what is causing the extra fabric in the armpit. A part of me thinks it is that the armhole is too low. My tailor thinks it is the way the fabric is cut that it makes an odd direction outward / upwards. Maybe it has to do with where it falls on my shoulder (although i think it is right). Now I turn to you guys.

Here are my measurements and the shirts that I have ordered. Keep in mind my wife measured me and they are nearly 9 months old. We have adjusted since the original measurements and there could be increased in sizing based on muscle or weight gain (quite slight but want to throw that in there). The one thing that they do not note here is that the chest panel is larger than the back panel. The back was great on previous shirts, but the chest pulled a little so they increased the chest panel. Could the increase in the single panel cause that? I wouldn’t think so but want to make sure I put that out there.

The last two pics in my imgur post are a shirt that was made where the armholes were lowered. You can see this made the issue worse. It is also why I feel that raising the arm holes may be a good idea. Definitely would love to hear your feedback.

Body finished
Collar 16 16 3/8
Chest 44 46 1/4
Waist 35 1/2 38 1/2
Hip 39 40 1/2
Shoulder 17 17
Sleeve 32 1/2 32.75
Bicep 13 1/4 15
Arm Hole N/A 20 3/4
Back 30 30
Fit: Slim

@spiermackay

Last edited:

neminat

Reaction score
Your original measurements were off your body or an existing shirt?
they were off of my body but done by my wife. Not sure if you were worried about accuracy. Are there any specific measurements that you would like me to re-take / contribute to the fabric in the armpit?

Due to my chest being larger than most with my waist size i have a very difficult time finding shirts that dont pull in the chest. In addition sleeves are usually too long and shoulders are often off.

For all these reasons, I am so glad i found you guys!

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The issue is being caused by a combination of the chest and armhole. If you can retake your chest at the fullest part. Make sure the take is kept parallel to the ground and not slipping low on your back.

The body armhole is around the arm, over the shoulder where your shoulder joint is. Keep the tape tight and close to the body but not squeezing so it feels uncomfortable.

neminat

Reaction score
18.75 is what my wife measured for the armpit to over the arm hole. I hope i did that right. I did armpit to over the shoulder. Is that what you were looking for?

Chest is 41.5. If i take a large breath i am at 42.25. I had a shirt from you with a chest 45.5 chest, and they would pull a little if i was not perfectly squared off. I am hesitant to reduce that, but I am open to feedback.

i can DM you my name and info if you want to look at my history or anything. I really appreciate your help and feedback.

neminat

Reaction score
This is not for a dress shirt, but the only order number i could find. I am hoping you can use the order to get my account.

neminat

Reaction score
Should be ok. I'll have a look. If I have any questions I'll connect back.
Wanted to check back in. Were you able to locate my previous orders? Anything you would tweak?

I would like to order a few more shirts but wanted to see if I should make some more tweaks when I do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads