1. Hi. We moved systems, and because it was impossible to achieve feature parity between the systems, we opted to archive the old B&S threads but allow users to read them so that they can put them into our new B&S system.

There is a support thread if you have any issues.

Cheers,

Fok.

Feedback on an Ebay seller

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by zjpj83, May 14, 2006.

1. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

His shipping prices aren't out of line.

Although his shipping prices may be reasonable, that's not really the point. I don't think his response to the retraction was appropriate in the least.

"I bet your wife loves living with you!!!" C'mon...

My .02, I guess.

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Andrew as I said earlier I don't to get into a fight defending somebody I don't even know and I have no idea why he didnt block Z but the nagging question persists what did he expect shipping to cost?
    As a UK seller it annoys me when buyers expect me to take a hit on the shipping.£20 is what it costs give or take a £1.
    Ok if the seller was asking for £50 you retract the bid and warn people off but £20,I just don't get it.

I hear you B. And Believe me, this is the last thing we all need to be bickering about. I also agree that his shipping prices are not out of line, but I am curious why someone would allow a supposed repeat offender to continue to bid on their items.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Bid retractions sometimes happen and they are nothing to get pissed off about. As well, the question here really isn't about what he expected shipping to be... he retracted his bid and then the seller acted rather immaturely in response to this.

I reserve bid retractions only for the most dire circumstances, but when a bidder does it on my auctions, I just roll my eyes and continue with my day. I don't then badger the bidder and bid/retract on one of his auctions. Personally, I'm glad that zj gave us the heads up on this, because personally I dont want to buy from somebody who is going to act like that.

"The customer is always right" apparently doesn't carry over to ebay.

4. benecios

benecios Senior member

Bid retractions sometimes happen and they are nothing to get pissed off about. As well, the question here really isn't about what he expected shipping to be... he retracted his bid and then the seller acted rather immaturely in response to this.

I reserve bid retractions only for the most dire circumstances, but when a bidder does it on my auctions, I just roll my eyes and continue with my day. I don't then badger the bidder and bid/retract on one of his auctions. Personally, I'm glad that zj gave us the heads up on this, because personally I dont want to buy from somebody who is going to act like that.

"The customer is always right" apparently doesn't carry over to ebay.

The guys reaction was OTT but just to reiterate,why bid when you don't know the cost of shipping(even though it is in the ad)ask then bid and without wanting to sound like a broken record what did he expect shipping to cost?
    You wouldn't walk into a shop and commit to buy anything without asking the FULL price first.

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Although his shipping prices may be reasonable, that's not really the point. I don't think his response to the retraction was appropriate in the least.

"I bet your wife loves living with you!!!" C'mon...

My .02, I guess.

True, but the retraction was out of line too....

It would have been better story if zjpj83 had came in with cleaner hands. As it is, I'm just seeing juvenile behavior by both parties, although I would agree that the seller took it much farther.

As for ebay auctions, I generally leave it alone. But I've seen enough retracted bids with lame stories that I've gotten sick of it. So perhaps I'm reacting more negatively to zjpj83 because of the recent retraction burn with lame excuses that I've gone through.

As for me, at nearly 7.5 years on ebay, I've never done a bid retraction. I agree that they should be reserved for dire circumstances, which I've been lucky to avoid.

I actually just report all retractions that look lame to ebay. I expect that nothing usually gets done, though.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I definitely see your points, Benecios and NoVaguy.

I think that I've retracted once or twice in 6 years, and that was on a pair of Dior jeans listed as "barely worn," for which the seller then asked on the Dior MSN forum, "How do I repair the holes in the crotch of these jeans?"

I decided that I didn't want to pay almost $200 for some holey crotch jeans and thus retracted. [​IMG]

But, when I sell, I still try to be as accomodating as possible, even when the buyer is clearly at fault. In this instance, since no money changed hands and ZJ didn't end the auction, there really was no need for the seller to be so immature. Just block the bidder and be done with it.

John

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The customer shouldn't always be right. Look at some bespoke commissions - or better yet, Mr Pollock's thread.

Ebay drama makes my day.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

An update,I have just been looking at the listing again(I am a sucker for that 4800 last and they are my size)and it seems someone has told the seller about this site and he has responded saying the emails were 2 ways and that you have done this to him before.Maybe there are 2 sides to this story?
    benecios: No, that's a complete lie, I'm afraid. I have never before, nor will ever, bid on his items.

And, yes, clearly someone on Styleforum did tell him about this thread, which does not bother me one bit, (though, of course, simple curiosity wonders who), since I have posted the whole story and have simply tried to put it out there for people to make up their own minds.

As suggested by some other posters here, I have disclosed in full what happened and what I did - namely, having a bid in place for slightly less than 15 minutes on the first day of the listing - and have posted in order to give my fellow members a sense of how this seller conducts himself. Indeed, he has continued to send me unprovoked abrasive emails to me to this day, which I have not posted, since I do not see any point in offering more of the same.

Finally, to address an earlier post, I do not actually agree that the customer is always right. (Though, I must say, I do think it makes certain business sense not to pick fights with potential customers who spend thousands of dollars a month on clothes on Ebay.)

Rather, I think vendors' reactions should be proportional to the provocation they receive. If someone came into Bergorf Goodman and blew his nose on all the Kitons, I don't think the customer would be right, and I would expect the salespeople to take appropriate steps. If you think sending repeated harassing emails to me is an appropriate response to what happened, you are, of course, entitled to do so. As I say, I have posted simply to enable my fellow members to make that decision for themselves.

Best,
    zj

9. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I dont understand some sellers. I mean, it's one thing to disagree with the motto that the customer is always right (I think the customer can be a jerk) but to pick a fight when the customer only did what was within his rights?

Not only is that strange but it's bad business, it takes away from your other energies. As a seller of anything, when you lose a sale you should only spend energy in figuring out why you lost the sale and to make new sales, not badgering the individual who didn't buy.

10. benecios

benecios Senior member

benecios: No, that's a complete lie, I'm afraid. I have never before, nor will ever, bid on his items.

And, yes, clearly someone on Styleforum did tell him about this thread, which does not bother me one bit, (though, of course, simple curiosity wonders who), since I have posted the whole story and have simply tried to put it out there for people to make up their own minds.

As suggested by some other posters here, I have disclosed in full what happened and what I did - namely, having a bid in place for slightly less than 15 minutes on the first day of the listing - and have posted in order to give my fellow members a sense of how this seller conducts himself. Indeed, he has continued to send me unprovoked abrasive emails to me to this day, which I have not posted, since I do not see any point in offering more of the same.

Finally, to address an earlier post, I do not actually agree that the customer is always right. (Though, I must say, I do think it makes certain business sense not to pick fights with potential customers who spend thousands of dollars a month on clothes on Ebay.)

Rather, I think vendors' reactions should be proportional to the provocation they receive. If someone came into Bergorf Goodman and blew his nose on all the Kitons, I don't think the customer would be right, and I would expect the salespeople to take appropriate steps. If you think sending repeated harassing emails to me is an appropriate response to what happened, you are, of course, entitled to do so. As I say, I have posted simply to enable my fellow members to make that decision for themselves.

Best,
    zj

OK point taken,but if you could just give me one indulgence? What still disturbs me about this whole affair as a UK ebayer is this,what did you expect/want to pay for shipping when you must know that £20 for shoes is the going rate???

11. bebmak

bebmak Member

I have only joined this forum to defend myself.Zjpj is a liar he has sent me insulting emails also.He bid on my item when the postage was clearly displayed*that is a fact*then retracted when I confirmed it was 20.He has bought from other ebayers and paid 18 but is retracting for the sake of 2.Maybe thats how he can afford the Ferrari shown on his avatar.Because frankly on a $500 pair of shoes to baulk at £2 on delivery is a sick joke.
    I know I will get blasted here because he is your friend and I am a new comer but I wanted to put my side of the story.
    He has emailed me from the outset saying I need medical attention just because I asked for a reason why he retracted which I found insulting.
    Look at his feedback he seems to make a habit of retracting,1 a month on average,I have retracted once in 3 years and that was on his shoes.
    http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...l?ViewFeedback
    My feedback is above for all to see spread over 3 years,I would draw your attention to "perfect gentleman" "best transaction of the year" etc...
    So please don't let this guy pull the wool over your eyes.

12. bebmak

bebmak Member

The link to my feedback does not seem to be working but I am sure you all know how to find it.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

[​IMG]

I can see how this would lead someone to believe that worldwide shipping was 8 GBP, regardless of what the fine print far at the bottom of the auction says.

14. bebmak

bebmak Member

That is a problem with ebay's layout not me.Royal Mail Special Delivery is a UK only service but I suppose if you are international you would not know this.
    Why not ask the question,then bid the auction still had 5 days to run.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I think I will do that, thank you for the advice.