• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Borsalino stop making quality hats over 25 years ago. If you think cheap looking shoes look bad, a cheap fedora is worst.

I totally agree. If you are going to be classy and wear a fedora make sure it can stand up to that measure of class.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Hey folks, I’m Ren Fisk and I’m the Editor-In-Chief of The Fedora Chronicles, a website dedicated to recapturing the style and substance of The 1930’s and 1940’s.

On my website, I endorse only a few hatters.

First is Steve Delk of "Adventurebilt Hats who makes the Fortune And Glory fedora. While Steve first made fedora’s to accommodate fans of the Indiana Jones movies, he also makes the best fedora that’s accurate for the 1930’s. These are excellent HAND CRAFTED fedoras made with materials he’s researched for a very long time, going back as far back as 2001 since I’ve known him. He makes a great product with a legion of fans, Indy and non-Indy Fans alike.

Here’s our testimonial page. I have one, I’ve used and abused mine and it still looks fantastic, “Right Out Of The Box” new.

Second is Art Fawcett. Art started out selling and trading vintage clothes with a sideline in making fedoras. I guess that when his reputation in being one of the finest fedora craftsmen in the country grew, that became his primary occupation. His approach to fedora making is very similar to Steve Delk – spent many years researching the craft, uses only the finest materials. His fedoras are more towards the 1940’s with modern twists and variations. Check out Vintage Silhouettes.

Third is Ron at Hats Direct, makers of Akubra. Can’t say enough great things about their products, they’re very affordable and take a lot of abuse and continue to look “Out Of The Box” new for a very long time. Dispite being a big company, Ron answers most of the e-mails himself.

These are three GREAT hat makers and vendors. I endorse these companies on my website. I take no money to advertise for them, I’m a paying customer just like everyone else and I only endorse those companies that meet my standards: They have to have great value (you get what you pay for,) great service and they have to treat the "Retro-Centric/Vintage Aficionado" community with respect.

There are other great vendors out there that you should also look into that I don’t endorse only because I haven’t purchased their products yet. I’ve heard great things from Optimo, JJ Hat Center; and of course there are vintage fedoras you can find on E-Bay.

What I will tell you is to avoid posters who claim to be “the best” hat makers yet spend most of their day posting on his/her forum trashing other vendors and trashing critics or just people with honest questions. It’s inconceivable that someone who spends so much time posting on-line doing so much trash talking is also able to make a quality product in time for shipping.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish you people would stay out of your hat politics, or whatever it is you're being unpleasant about.

Behave.

I just thrifted a grey felt pork-pie hat, - any comments about the type? I've seen it mentioned as a sort of jazz style classic - any comments?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all - I'll try to post some photos of it later.

It was bought looking quite new, at my local Salvation Army. That's about all I know, so far.

Johnnysan

Reaction score
For a really nice enrtry-level hat at a affordable price, check out Miller Hat's Web site. Most of their hats are made for them by Biltmore in Canada. I own three of them. They have held up exceptionally well despite daily wear - rain or shine. In my opinion, Biltmore is the best value going in the business today!

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Let me just add to what Zoot has said. On all the other forums I’ve visited and posted on, all the other hatters are very civil to each other. Some go so far as sending potential customers to another hatter when the customer is looking for something in particular and the hatter they speak with doesn’t specialize that style.

Steve Delk has sent customers to Art Fawcett when someone is looking for a "1940’s" style fedora, Art Fawcett has sent customers to Steven when that person he encounters who are looking for a Raiders Lid or the 1930’s style. This also applies to other hatters – some other hatters will have links to other vendors, hoping that if the vendors help each other, then the craft will survive. They’re a close-nit community that looks out for each other. With the exception of one in particular.

No other vendor has done more to alienate customers and the Vintage Threads Community.

I’ve known the members here known as "Warden" "Zoot Suiter" and " R. Fuller" for years. I’ve never caught either one of them in a lie. The reason why they are so adamant about keeping hat buyers informed about this character in question is because they were once customers of this particular vendor. They’ve been burned by him before. I’ll vouch for what they say, I’ve been witness to many of the things they’ve experienced. They’ve never lied to me, this character they write about has never told the truth.

With that said - I think this thread should either be locked or trimmed up. I wish there could be a genuine discussion about fedoras and quality. With this current environment, it's impossible.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Big Foot - Can I ask you who are your favorate hatters? Who do you think does the best job and making a quality fedora?

Big Foot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ren Fisk
Big Foot - Can I ask you who are your favorate hatters? Who do you think does the best job and making a quality fedora?

No matter what I say Charlie will just put them down and since I don't want to hurt anyone I'll say nothing. I will say this if he puts them down thats who I will check with first. I'm sure you understand.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Foot
No matter what I say Charlie will just put them down and since I don't want to hurt anyone I'll say nothing. I will say this if he puts them down thats who I will check with first. I'm sure you understand.

Ok. I do understand, thanks for your honesty. Then let me ask you this question, what makes a good vendor? What aspects of a good vendor do you look for?

Service? Quality of Materials?

Originally Posted by jmatt
Will J PLEASE finally ban this man? I don't know who "Steve Delk" is, but if he is real, this forum is now diseminating libelous posts. Unless Mr. Swindall can prove what he says, imputing a crime &/or falsely disparaging a person's business are two of the classic versions of defamation of character.

Let me add that Steve Delk is an honest guy, honest to a fault. He's done a lot for the "IndyGear" community, but doesn't just make "Indiana Jones" hats. His product is more accurate to what Harrison Ford wore in the movies (and what men wore during those years) then the crap sold by the company that has the licence. (The Dorfman is a total rip-off and of really BAD quality. It's a novelty item you can only wear once before throwing it out the morning after Halloween.)

Steve's fedoras are accurate to the period those films were made. Since I've known him he's always been busy going to the library to read up on hat making, finding suppliers for his materials. And he does what he does because he wants to assure that fans of those movies get an excellent fedora at a good price. He's learned more in the past few years then some other hatters have in 30-plus years.

I've also spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and I can say that I can easily call him a friend. He's a real hatter! He doesn't waste his time posting endlessly on the forums. He gets real work done.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Good idea. Just curious, and I know I could get a response at Fedora Lounge, but does Steve Delk make the best Raiders hat in your opinion? I know Indy Magnoli is planning on having some this year.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Good idea. Just curious, and I know I could get a response at Fedora Lounge, but does Steve Delk make the best Raiders hat in your opinion? I know Indy Magnoli is planning on having some this year.
Also check the "original" from Herbert Johnson. I think that Swaine, Adeney and Brigg sells it.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Good idea. Just curious, and I know I could get a response at Fedora Lounge, but does Steve Delk make the best Raiders hat in your opinion?
I have to qualify my response by saying that Steve's a friend of mine. I'm biased. But I've seen every fedora made that tries to duplicate the look of the fedora's worn by Harrison Ford. So far his is the best, not just because they're great right out of the box, but because they hold their shape VERY well in all kinds of weather. I've had mine for 2 years and it looks just as good now as it does in the picture in my avatar.

Jimmy Peirce also does a great job. He worked for another vendor before he went solo.

I know Indy Magnoli is planning on having some this year.
Magnoli makes great products, period. He sells a little bit of everything, and is most famous for his props. I recommend his work because of his reputation - his buisness model is incredible, as is his work ethic. I can't vouch for his fedora's, though. Yet...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ren Fisk
I have to qualify my response by saying that Steve's a friend of mine. I'm biased. But I've seen every fedora made that tries to duplicate the look of the fedora's worn by Harrison Ford. So far his is the best, not just because they're great right out of the box, but because they hold their shape VERY well in all kinds of weather. I've had mine for 2 years and it looks just as good now as it does in the picture in my avatar. Jimmy Peirce also does a great job. He worked for another vendor before he went solo. Magnoli makes great products, period. He sells a little bit of everything, and is most famous for his props. I recommend his work because of his reputation - his buisness model is incredible, as is his work ethic. I can't vouch for his fedora's, though. Yet...
Thanks for info. My only knock on Indy is that too many of his suits use lightweight and/or partly synthetic material, plus are fused by default. I don't think most of us would mind paying more for a suit with the materials and construction that are historically accurate. His props, from what I've seen, are the work of a true artisan.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Jovan, I like what Magnoili is trying to do with his shop - trying to bring the style of clothes from that era back into availibility. He's in a tough spot with the material, though. Some want modern materials with vintage syles, others want authentic materials, too. Others just want those styles to be affordible to them.

He's able to deliver a quality product and he treats people with respect.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not trying to say he's deceiving anyone. It's just it would be nice to have weightier/more natural fibre fabrics and canvassed construction readily available. I have been considering a tweed suit from him for some time, but it would run me $420 including the $70 for canvassed construction. Not sure if I can shell out that money right now. I've considered just trying out a pair of trousers and/or shirt just to see if he's right for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads