1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fedora Brands (Borsalino v. Stetson v. Makins)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sartorialism, Feb 17, 2011.

1. sartorialism

sartorialism Senior member

Art Fawcett and Vintage Silhouettes... Art's hats run a little over $300

Again, 300 is above my range. Also, I'm not crazy about most of his models. Although the Jazzman is awesome!

would also consider penman hats which is custom for your head shape/size, felt, ribbon etc.

These are really beautiful. But again, above my range. Especially because I won't order my first hat from the guy long-distance. Maybe if I could get one I could try on, touch, feel, etc., I'd consider it...

Also, Akubra.

I'm talking about business/dress/sex/style fedoras. Not crocodile-hunter gear!

...Peters Bros. Hats.

I don't see pics of their custom hats. Their Borsalino prices are meh...

YCustom Hatter based in Buffalo, NY.

Some of these hats are ugly, but some are beautiful. I liked the High Crown, Longhair Gambler (but not IRL"”just stunning in aesthetic type of way), Montecristi (but that all depends on the feel of the straw"”there's no way to judge a straw hat by pics alone), Three-point Diamond, Indie, and the Moonshine.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Again, 300 is above my range. Also, I'm not crazy about most of his models. Although the Jazzman is awesome!

Art has a few RTW hats that you can just buy, true, but the bulk of his stuff is pure custom. You decide what you want, you don't have to settle for what he has available.

Oh, and as for trying on custom hats- you don't. They (well, at least Art does) send you a purpose made device to measure the shape of your head. it accounts for the exact shape, as well as any bumps and irregularities. Fit wouldn't be a question.

Though I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face.

I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face. Or, of course, the Fed IV that so obsesses the Fedora Lounge folk.

3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what about huckel hats? anyone with any info =)?

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

These are really beautiful. But again, above my range. Especially because I won't order my first hat from the guy long-distance. Maybe if I could get one I could try on, touch, feel, etc., I'd consider it...

J.J. Hat Center has a line by Selentino (made in Czech) that are $150. http://www.jjhatcenter.com/madison-b...no-p-2382.html

Should be available on DC somewhere.

lefty

5. sartorialism

what about huckel hats? anyone with any info =)?

Tell me you're kidding... The ones I've seen are garbage.

6. sartorialism

I promised pics, so here goes. This is my hat collection, excluding one black hat which is currently inaccessible. First up, this is a 100% wool J. Press hat. Mainly for the cold as it doesn't have all that much style. But it aint bad either. [​IMG] Next up is my Statson for Brooks Brothers, which I don't love but I kinda like, too. It' rabbit fur. [​IMG] This is a vintage Borsalino beaver (?) long-fur fedora. Truly stunning, but it's too small on me, so I'll try flipping it here soon (if you want it, feel free to PM me). [​IMG] This here is a rabbit fur Borsalino [​IMG] As for Makins... This first one is my favorite. Rabbit fur: [​IMG] [​IMG] These are Rabbit as well: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This one is a wool/fur blend: [​IMG] Now, for Brooks Brothers, I just got this hat last week and I love it. But I can't figure out who makes it for Brooks Brothers (the only tag is BB). It's made in Italy, so it can't be Stetson, but it doesn't look like a Borsalino, either. Suggestions? It's also rabbit fur. It's blue, but the pictures suck so that's hard to discern... [​IMG]

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Also, Akubra. If you thought the Stetson was too stiff (I'll probably soften up a fair deal), you won't like them at the start, but I'm told that they really break in. Durable as hell, apparently. And the Fed IV (a special for hatsdirect) is a favorite of the fedora lounge, which I would recommend you spend some time on.

Stetson breaks in really well.

8. Master Squirrel

AI'm talking about business/dress/sex/style fedoras. Not crocodile-hunter gear!

[​IMG] You have sex with your hats! [​IMG]

9. Master Squirrel

Art has a few RTW hats that you can just buy, true, but the bulk of his stuff is pure custom. You decide what you want, you don't have to settle for what he has available.

Oh, and as for trying on custom hats- you don't. They (well, at least Art does) send you a purpose made device to measure the shape of your head. it accounts for the exact shape, as well as any bumps and irregularities. Fit wouldn't be a question.

Though I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face.

I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face. Or, of course, the Fed IV that so obsesses the Fedora Lounge folk.

My oval head thanks you for this information.

10. sartorialism

[​IMG]

11. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I don't see pics of their custom hats. Their Borsalino prices are meh...

You can get an idea from their dress felt page. As far as an actual picture goes though, here are pictures of mine:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've since taken it back to have it shaped a bit more and make the snap more pronounced. Like I said, they're amazing hats. One of the cool things as well was that because the shop has been around (and in that spot for so long) their ribbon choices are absolutely exquisite. Mine are antique hatters ribbons that were made back close to when the store first started. They were the right color for what I was looking for, and I love the uniqueness factor. They're also not kidding when they say they can match any idea you've got. For mine, I brought in the suit that I was getting married in, and specifically was looking for the band and edge to match the tie.

12. sartorialism

You can get an idea from their dress felt page. As far as an actual picture goes though, here are pictures of mine:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've since taken it back to have it shaped a bit more and make the snap more pronounced. Like I said, they're amazing hats. One of the cool things as well was that because the shop has been around (and in that spot for so long) their ribbon choices are absolutely exquisite. Mine are antique hatters ribbons that were made back close to when the store first started. They were the right color for what I was looking for, and I love the uniqueness factor. They're also not kidding when they say they can match any idea you've got. For mine, I brought in the suit that I was getting married in, and specifically was looking for the band and edge to match the tie.

Interesting! Though not really my style... Do you have pics (I'm sure you do) of the whole wedding outfit? I'm interested in seeing how it came together. Thanks!

13. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. mktitsworth

Interesting! Though not really my style... Do you have pics (I'm sure you do) of the whole wedding outfit? I'm interested in seeing how it came together. Thanks!
    I do, in fact, have alot of them, and seeing as how it's already online... [​IMG] That one is probably the best of the bunch for showing off the ensemble.

15. sartorialism

I do, in fact, have alot of them, and seeing as how it's already online... [​IMG] That one is probably the best of the bunch for showing off the ensemble.
    Nice! I was wondering who but a fellow Heeb wears fedoras to their wedding. Is that the Gutnik Chumash behind you? [​IMG] Here are three more hats I got Friday. First two are Brooks Brothers (same model as the blue one I posted Friday) and the third is Makins. All are rabbit fur. I think I'm going to return all of the Brooks Brothers hats as they're too small on me, even if they're an amazing deal. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. mktitsworth

Nice! I was wondering who but a fellow Heeb wears fedoras to their wedding. Is that the Gutnik Chumash behind you? [​IMG]

Here are three more hats I got Friday. First two are Brooks Brothers (same model as the blue one I posted Friday) and the third is Makins. All are rabbit fur. I think I'm going to return all of the Brooks Brothers hats as they're too small on me, even if they're an amazing deal.

Not a heeb, just one of the good Goyam. You know, the kind that occasionally get sent to the right guy for a good deal and who, at the dawning of the messianic age when the jews are brought into the kingdom of heaven, someone looks back and goes "You know, I'm really going to miss him."

As to what's on the back wall... that was the decoration at the hotel where we got ready and then wed when a tornado decided that doing things outside was not going to be feasible. I wore the fedora because I'd always wanted a good fedora and the primary concern of my wife and I was that we look awesome. Given our druthers, we'd have eloped and looked awesome, but somehow the family got wind, and things escalated from there.

17. meister

meister Senior member

Not a heeb, just one of the good Goyam. You know, the kind that occasionally get sent to the right guy for a good deal and who, at the dawning of the messianic age when the jews are brought into the kingdom of heaven, someone looks back and goes "You know, I'm really going to miss him."

Sigworthy....

18. sartorialism

I think I can get a bunch of Makins hats. Would anyone be interested in purchasing?

19. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I think I can get a bunch of Makins hats. Would anyone be interested in purchasing?

At 50% or more off the retail price?

20. mktitsworth

Usually there'd be a high probability, but I've already committed my budget for march elsewhere.