1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Federer v. Nadal

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Margaret, Jul 7, 2006.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

2. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

3. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Well, that makes 4 in a row for Federer. He can tie Bjorn if he wins next year. That's awfully good company. So, he has to be considered among the greatest tennis players.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Federer really seems to be on a roll. I don't know much about tennis though, I only noticed the current tournament because that guy from my hometown made it to the semifinals (yes, I am biased [​IMG] )

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I only noticed the current tournament because that guy from my hometown made it to the semifinals (yes, I am biased [​IMG] )

ah the Cypriot. I actually thought of you when they mentioned where he was from.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

ah the Cypriot. I actually thought of you when they mentioned where he was from.

I had never heard ofg him before the Australian Open, frankly. Funny, he got an exemption from military service due to the tournaments. Bastard [​IMG]

7. AdamG

AdamG Senior member

On grass, Federer will walk it.
    [​IMG]

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, that makes 4 in a row for Federer. He can tie Bjorn if he wins next year. That's awfully good company. So, he has to be considered among the greatest tennis players.

It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

9. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

That's tennis had very little depth back then.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

i dunno about that. It was a different game with more shotmaking than today's game. The increase in racket technology has a big part in effecting how the game is played. I don't even think you can get a true midsize (80-85 sq in) headed racket these days. Go back to wood rackets and it'd be a completely different sport. Does the men's side have much depth today? not really. For once, the women's game is more interesting to watch since there's no clear favorite anymore.

11. aportnoy

Yeah, I guess this a pretty lousy top 6

1981 - Men

1 John McEnroe- 7 Grand Salm Titles
    2 Ivan Lendl- 8 Grand Salm Titles
    3 Jimmy Connors- 8 Grand Slam Titles
    4 Bjorn Borg- 11 Grand Slam Titles
    5 Jose-Luis Clerc
    6 Guillermo Vilas- 4 Grand Slam Titles

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

and by '82 you could add Mats Wilander to that list (multiple french, australian, US Open winner, even won the Wimbledon doubles with Anders Jarryd I believe before retiring in 89)

13. vincent

vincent Senior member

1981 - Men

5 Jose-Luis Clerc

HaHah...You just proved violinist's point. The fact that back then there was no depth. No depth as in the fact that top 500 players could not come close to competing with top 10 players back in the 80s. However, now the talent is so deep. As you can see in grandslam matches, many qualifiers give top ranked players a very hard time and at times, beat them.

That 1981 top 6 is reflective of women's tennis where there is no depth..where only a few handfull of players have won or reached semifinals of grandslam tournaments (williams sisters, henin, clisters, mauresmo, davenport, sharappova).

I guess you did not know the meaning of depth in terms of tennis.

14. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

1981 - Men

5 Jose-Luis Clerc

wise guy... there were more than 6 people in the ATP in 1981.

For instance, when you watch the NBA, announcers will talk about the "depth" of a team. A team which doesn't only have a strong starting 5, but some good guys from the bench too.

15. aportnoy

I guess you did not know the meaning of depth in terms of tennis.

How many of those collection of "deep" guys have actually won Grand Slams genious? By my account, if your not named Federer on Nadal, you haven't won shit in the last several years. Whereas Borg was competing against a top ten rife with hall of fame talent.

So you're right, we do define depth as something different. I define it as playing in a tournament with actually more than one other guy who can win it.

16. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

17. lince

lince New Member

Federer is a legend and he is the superstar of Tennis and no one can beat him at this point of time he is in a peak and he is the best of all times after Pete Sampras Nadfal is also good but he is not up to the mark as federer So he is truly a legend.

18. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Federer is a legend and he is the superstar of Tennis and no one can beat him at this point of time he is in a peak and he is the best of all times after Pete Sampras Nadfal is also good but he is not up to the mark as federer So he is truly a legend.

That was legendary logorrhea.

19. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

ap wrote: It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

Yes, I agree. I did name him as my pick for the best. I was just amazed every time I saw him play. And, I was a big Connors fan.

20. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Holy shit.