• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Features of a 'good' watch?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Mechanical movement, Swiss, American, or German--will keep good time 2. Sapphire Crystal 3. Relatively Water Proof 4. Small ( 33-35mm) I personally hate big watches like Panerai but it's purely personal preference 5. Clean and Beautiful Dial 6. Hands are beautifully aligned. 7. High Quality Bracelet (only matters in the +1000 USD) Keep in mind that anything above 500 dollars is really entering the realm of good watch + some brand name My daily wearer is a Ulysse Nardin 1846...good size, keeps good time, and definitely stylish for those in the know. If you're new to watches, I suggest you buy a new Movado Kingmatic (the best price/quality ratio) I've found, even better than the Omega Dynamic that's floating around on ebay for 600-800 dollars. Otherwise, go Vintage--I suggest Vintage American Hamilton watches esp. their masterpiece. You won't be disappointed.
UN1846_honey_tropical.jpg

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
"Good belt buckle" reminds me of good china, or good rugs or a good car...It all sounds so middle class and lacklustre..so conventional and styleless.

It's not what you wear it's how you wear it.

Fixed.
devil.gif

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
what did/does clinton wear? an ironman watch (timex)?

Clinton wore different watches for different events. That is, he knew when wearing a timex watch would be appropriate - such as when he was hobnobbing with donors.

At one of his last press conferences as president, he was clearly wearing a Patek Philippe Calatrava, a modest-looking gold watch on a leather strap that goes for about $15,000 on the white market.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"white market" pricing is just ridiculous. I know a buddy who got one for 3500 USD a few years back.

Originally Posted by raphael
Clinton wore different watches for different events. That is, he knew when wearing a timex watch would be appropriate - such as when he was hobnobbing with donors.

At one of his last press conferences as president, he was clearly wearing a Patek Philippe Calatrava, a modest-looking gold watch on a leather strap that goes for about $15,000 on the white market.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Now Clinton has some special thing going on with AP and joked about being the "poorest President" and never having thought in his life he would have such a watch.

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Now Clinton has some special thing going on with AP and joked about being the "poorest President" and never having thought in his life he would have such a watch.

AP makes great sports watches and passable tourbillon movements but "presidential"? I don't see it. He should have stuck with the classic Calatrava.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

leon12

Reaction score
Omega makes an excellent watch.. but I'm assuming anything in the $200 range is vintage or fake. Buying vintage can be tricky and most serious collectors would advise against it without knowing a fair amount about watches. You may get the watch for $200, but it may need $1000 worth of work to make it run. It's difficult to tell these things from pictures.

For more modern watches in the sub-$500 range, I would look at Hamilton, Oris, Tissot, O&W, Archimede, Sinn or the Seiko automatic divers.. but there are numerous other options. I've seen Omega Seamaster Pro's in good shape go for $700 on timezone.com.

If you want something used, I would suggest spending some time on the sales forums at www.timezone.com and www.pmwf.com rather than watching ebay. Great deals can be had and the "collectors" that sell there take care of their watches. Buy the seller, not the watch.

Originally Posted by ms244
Not to hijack a topic, but could some of the more knowledgeble people out there recommend some tips for checking out a used mechanical watch and possibly some good watches to look for.

Browsing around on ebay, I see there are several Omega Geneve watches that can be had for under $200. Any thoughts on this item?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads