• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feast your eyes on these homes

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The one on the main page is stunning.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Beverly Hills house is unbelievable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is anyone else bothered by houses that look so stately on the outside but have very modern design on the inside (curving walls, lots of glass, all the beverly hills pool and excess ****)?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Love the infinity pool and chairs on the North Canon home.

hypersonic

Reaction score
From the great nation that gave us Frank Lloyd Wright and Philip Johnson, why oh why do so many Americans go for this ostentatious rubbish? It is quite unsophisticated really -- like the owners read too many Richie Rich comics when they were kids.

I have never understood why nouveau riche Americans build obscenely large mansions that look like 200 year old European houses -- its all pastiche with little substance -- almost like living in a stage set. Most of these mansions have little or no importance as far as architecture goes -- they are shameless status symbols for people with very predictable and bourgeois (at best) taste.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Simplicity in design is good, but I believe many people these days do it to make a point. I love classical mansions with all the lavishness as it reconnects with the past in a way that I feel comfortable in. The important element in classical design has always been to foster strength in the foundation for structural longevity. I doubt these modern glass structures are going to stand that long. There's rich and poor and the word "noveau riche" is most often used by people who aren't even half-way there yet. I have never heard that word used by one who has been wealthyy for many generations, and if you're American, then all your wealth is basically new founded anyways as we don't have titular aristocracy class. This corroborates my first point about your financial status.
Originally Posted by hypersonic
From the great nation that gave us Frank Lloyd Wright and Philip Johnson, why oh why do so many Americans go for this ostentatious rubbish? It is quite unsophisticated really -- like the owners read too many Richie Rich comics when they were kids. I have never understood why nouveau riche Americans build obscenely large mansions that look like 200 year old European houses -- its all pastiche with little substance -- almost like living in a stage set. Most of these mansions have little or no importance as far as architecture goes -- they are shameless status symbols for people with very predictable and bourgeois (at best) taste.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the great nation that gave us Frank Lloyd Wright and Philip Johnson, why oh why do so many Americans go for this ostentatious rubbish? It is quite unsophisticated really -- like the owners read too many Richie Rich comics when they were kids.

I have never understood why nouveau riche Americans build obscenely large mansions that look like 200 year old European houses -- its all pastiche with little substance -- almost like living in a stage set. Most of these mansions have little or no importance as far as architecture goes -- they are shameless status symbols for people with very predictable and bourgeois (at best) taste.

go away

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
I respectfully disagree. Simplicity in design is good, but I believe many people these days do it to make a point. I love classical mansions with all the lavishness as it reconnects with the past in a way that I feel comfortable in. The important element in classical design has always been to foster strength in the foundation for structural longevity. I doubt these modern glass structures are going to stand that long. There's rich and poor and the word "noveau riche" is most often used by people who aren't even half-way there yet. I have never heard that word used by one who has been wealthyy for many generations, and if you're American, then all your wealth is basically new founded anyways as we don't have titular aristocracy class. This corroborates my first point about your financial status.
Firstly, no, I am not American ...secondly, the term nouveau riche is often used to describe newly wealthy individuals -- it was not intended to be an insulting term. Thirdly, my financial status has little to do with my opinions ...but I am amused by your assumptions.

The point I was making in my previous post is we live in the 21st century ....so why do people, with the means to build truly important architecture of our time, insist on building monuments to their egos that will forever be shallow imitations of different places and times.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
go away
Why?

I don't understand the hostility I have caused. I can assure you I am not alone in my opinions -- there are a lot of respected architects who would whole-heartedly agree with me.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why?

I don't understand the hostility I have caused. I can assure you I am not alone in my opinions -- there are a lot of respected architects who would whole-heartedly agree with me.

I agree with your dislike of the design of many more recent American homes. All those roof peaks seem horrendously wasteful and thoughtless.

hypersonic

Reaction score
^ Oh thanks ...Ha ha, I was starting to feel like a big jerk for saying what I think.

I apologize to the others if my comments came across as snobbish and too critical ...they weren't meant to be.
smile.gif

I am passionate about good architecture. Sure, these big houses are very impressive and important-looking ...but that is about all. They have about as much authenticity as the Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom. I do appreciate that they are very well executed ...but basically, these are new buildings with all the contemporary construction methods hidden behind a 'Martha-Stuart facade'.

I am not anti-American either ...these kinds super-size McMansions are springing up everywhere now.

Dubai
o53y15.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads