Favourite vodka?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by PHV, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Kas

Kas Senior member

I'll stick to my Stoli.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

To paraphrase my brother the banker, when asked what sort of gin he preferred: "the cheapest." [​IMG]

3. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

My list is Chopin, Belvedere and Zubrowka with apple juice, had a great time in Krakow ;-)

4. visionology

visionology Senior member

Anyone tried Ciroc vodka, distilled from grapes?

My friend works with the company that makes this, tried it recently upon a suggestion from him. Not bad but horribly overpriced. I guess they have to figure out some way to pay for Puff Daddy being the spokesman.

The same company also makes Smirnoff and he's had me try some of their stuff that I haven't tried before like their blueberry and it was surprisingly very good. I would put it up there in the bang for the buck level with Svedka and Finlandia.

My old standby is Belvedere, to me its just ultra smooth. I find that Ketel One and GG both have a similar rough taste that I don't enjoy.

Was recently surprised by Pearl. Was smooth enough to sip, had a nice taste and smell, something that a lot of vodkas don't have as they tend to be very neutral.

Probably the biggest bang for the buck is Tito's Handmade, at under $20 its a steal and rivals most of the premiums. 100% from corn instead of grain or potato.

5. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I like Chopin a lot. Tito's is pretty good too but a bit harsh if not chilled. You can find it at Trader Joe's.

6. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

7. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

Despite the fact it's French, 90% of the vodka I drink is Goose.

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

How about the 1.75L of Nikolai for 11.99? [​IMG] I rarely drink vodka but, when I do, Chopin is just fine.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I buy any inexpensive popular brand and spend my money on premium tequila for sipping.

10. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Рyсский Стандарт (Russian Standard)

"Original" for mixed drinks and "Imperia" for sipping.

I don't think it's imported to the U.S. It seems to be fairly well distributed throughtout Western Europe. We bring a bottle of each when we return from Minsk.

http://www.russianstandard.com/

_________

11. hankwx

hankwx Senior member

vodka is made from potato right, generally? i like this japanese brand...i can't think of it off the top of my head right now. it's made from rice. but i like it!

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Рyсский Стандарт (Russian Standard) "Original" for mixed drinks and "Imperia" for sipping. I don't think it's imported to the U.S. It seems to be fairly well distributed throughtout Western Europe. We bring a bottle of each when we return from Minsk. http://www.russianstandard.com/ _________
    I think I had the "Original" when I was in London last year (vodka & tonic). It is a fine beverage.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Polar Ice is an excellent vodka for the money; I tend to always keep it on hand, even though I am NOT a fan of vodka for anything but mixing!

Hangar 1 is another really good vodka. I've heard Iceberg is a great value as well, but have not had the chance to try it yet.

I don't buy into the stupid craze with ultra-premium vodkas. Enjoy, but don't spend much money on clear spirits; instead, save the good coin for the brown spirits.....

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Glacier American potato vodka is surprisingly decent. Belvedere is very good if I feel like dumping money for some reason. I know Smirnoff won some awards but the last time I tried it it tasted like paint thinner to me.

And I recently got the Xmas special edition disco-ball pack of Absolut because the package was so ridiculous, but the vodka's really not too bad. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I was surprised. And of flavored vodkas the Absolut ones are some of the least disgusting. Citron and Kurant I remember being pretty inoffensive when I had them (high school). Never tried Peppar but I heard it was okay too. Compare that to Finlandia Cranberry that I couldn't even choke down and with 3 other college friends trying to help we still just left a half fifth sitting in a stairwell in Canada. Imagine 4 college students wasting that much alcohol. That's how bad.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

My favorite by far is Jean Marc XO.