1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite vodka?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by PHV, Jul 10, 2005.

1. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    Homemade Zubrowka that I get from some of my friends in Poland. Otherwise, if I'm buying vodka I typically just get Smirnoff Black Label and spend the saved money on other things like nice Gin.

Anyone ever have szarlotka (apple pie) mix drinks?!

2. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

I like Grey Goose, though Costco's house brand is apparently the same thing at half the price. I can't tell the difference. So I drink Costco at home and order Grey Goose when I'm out.

I just saw an advertisement for a brand I had not heard of, though I am entirely familar with its namesake:

http://www.kalashnikovvodka.com/usa/

Has anyone tried this?

costco has a house brand?! LINK PLEASE!

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Why do both of you prefer Chopin?

I also wonder, GG, Belvedere and Chopin all share remarkably similar packaging.... I wonder if they are at all connected.

Belvedere and Chopin are owned by the same company. Personally I prefer Belvedere; although Goose and Chopin are good as well. For cheaper mixing vodka, Stoli and Sky are just fine.

Jon.

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I drink my vodka on the rocks with a lime. Belvedere, hands down. I tried Chopin, but I personally didn't like the taste as much, but I recognize it is a great potato vodka.

Grey Goose might be of higher quality than Smirnoff, Absolut and the like, but it taste like rubbing alcohol taken straight. Take it from the freezer, then you have thick rubbing alcohol. GG is fine if you mix it with soda.

Vodka like "Level 1" appear to be marketing hype like Vox water. Level 1, like GG, taste like rubbing alcohol.

5. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Zyr is by far my favorite. Much more smooth than GG, chopin, Bell, Pravada, or anything else I have tried

6. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

Hangar One is the nicest straight-sipping vodka I've ever tasted, it's got a distinctive taste but not as overpowering as Grey Goose (which I find syruppy when unmixed).

Stoli's my usual fallback - cheap and excellent quality. Was surprised to find when I moved over here it's considered a cheap/generic brand, in the UK it's a premium drink.

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Zytnia- Polish Rye Vodka.Wyborowa is pretty good too (potato vodka).
    Grey Goose is overmarketed shit, BTW.

8. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

9. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Not a big vodka drinker but keep some Christiania (Potato Vodka) on hand.

10. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Senior member

11. Kas

Kas Senior member

I'll stick to my Stoli.

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

To paraphrase my brother the banker, when asked what sort of gin he preferred: "the cheapest." [​IMG]

13. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

My list is Chopin, Belvedere and Zubrowka with apple juice, had a great time in Krakow ;-)

14. visionology

visionology Senior member

Anyone tried Ciroc vodka, distilled from grapes?

My friend works with the company that makes this, tried it recently upon a suggestion from him. Not bad but horribly overpriced. I guess they have to figure out some way to pay for Puff Daddy being the spokesman.

The same company also makes Smirnoff and he's had me try some of their stuff that I haven't tried before like their blueberry and it was surprisingly very good. I would put it up there in the bang for the buck level with Svedka and Finlandia.

My old standby is Belvedere, to me its just ultra smooth. I find that Ketel One and GG both have a similar rough taste that I don't enjoy.

Was recently surprised by Pearl. Was smooth enough to sip, had a nice taste and smell, something that a lot of vodkas don't have as they tend to be very neutral.

Probably the biggest bang for the buck is Tito's Handmade, at under $20 its a steal and rivals most of the premiums. 100% from corn instead of grain or potato.

15. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I like Chopin a lot. Tito's is pretty good too but a bit harsh if not chilled. You can find it at Trader Joe's.

16. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

17. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

Despite the fact it's French, 90% of the vodka I drink is Goose.

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

How about the 1.75L of Nikolai for 11.99? [​IMG] I rarely drink vodka but, when I do, Chopin is just fine.

19. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I buy any inexpensive popular brand and spend my money on premium tequila for sipping.

20. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Рyсский Стандарт (Russian Standard)

"Original" for mixed drinks and "Imperia" for sipping.

I don't think it's imported to the U.S. It seems to be fairly well distributed throughtout Western Europe. We bring a bottle of each when we return from Minsk.

http://www.russianstandard.com/

_________