1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite steak cuts

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Violinist, Aug 24, 2006.

1. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm inspired! Steaks are on the menu for tomorrow.

2. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

I can have any cut of steak on my plate and be happy. I like to eat animals. I am a member of PETA-People For The Eating of Tasty Animals!!!
    *loves it*

3. BigSur

BigSur Senior member

anyone know of a place for good steak marinades? I've tried a couple off the net with no real good results.

4. Stax

Stax Senior member

anyone know of a place for good steak marinades? I've tried a couple off the net with no real good results.
    i like dry rubs. this stuff is like crack (they even sell it plain zip lock bags): [​IMG]http://www.pigstands.com/store/phpCart_show.php?pid=6 i buy the five pound bag and use it on beef, pork, chicken and fish.

5. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

i like dry rubs. this stuff is like crack (they even sell it plain zip lock bags): [​IMG]http://www.pigstands.com/store/phpCart_show.php?pid=6

i buy the five pound bag and use it on beef, pork, chicken and fish.

Text from the site:

"We use this rub on our beef, pork, and chicken. Use it wet or dry, this rub is great for all type of meats. With 5 Pounds in your panty you'll be ready for a Bar-B-Q at the drop of a hat."

Sweet, I have been looking for 5 pounds of wet rub to keep in my panty. Shouldn't I be ready for a BBQ at the drop of my pants though, not at the drop of a hat?

K

6. Stax

Stax Senior member

Text from the site:

"We use this rub on our beef, pork, and chicken. Use it wet or dry, this rub is great for all type of meats. With 5 Pounds in your panty you'll be ready for a Bar-B-Q at the drop of a hat."

Sweet, I have been looking for 5 pounds of wet rub to keep in my panty. Shouldn't I be ready for a BBQ at the drop of my pants though, not at the drop of a hat?

K

please mind the fine print:

asbestos apron reccomended when operating a bbq pantless.

mine is bespoke, natch.

7. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Senior member

I love these cuts, cooked medium rare.

t-bone/porterhouse
    bone in ribeye (aka cowboy ribeye)
    hanger

I've also never understood the difference between a T-bone and a porterhouse. Just thought they were the same. Can someone explain the difference?

They are the same cut from the short loin but the porterhouse is from further back so it is larger. Both the filet and the strip side on the porterhouse are bigger than the t-bone which is why you usually see the porterhouse sold as a steak for two people.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

Bone in Filet medium rare.
    Now I'm hungry

Pepper Corn for Gibson's or sub standard steaks

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

I tried a hanger steak for the first time tonight. It was really good until the anchovy (yech) viniagrette from the salad got on it. Ruined the flavor. I like skirt steak too. I'm not a fan of ribeye, too much fat.

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I tried this marinade on a couple of nice shell steaks last night. They were a little too thick, so while they cooked well (again, cast iron skillet seared, finished under the broiler), the marinade didn't add much more than a nice crust. Delicious, anyway!

1 shallot
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup whole grain mustard
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    salt
    cracked black pepper
    olive oil

Dice shallot and garlic, add to a shallow bowl/dish. Add mustard and vinegar, mix well. Add salt to taste, about 2 tbls cracked black pepper. Whisk in 2 tbls olive oil. Coat steaks. Refrigerate at least 1/2 an hour, let steaks come to room temp before cooking.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Well, I wouldn't eat myself, for sure [​IMG]. I'm just really fussy about meat, and the thing I love about filets is they're very low maintenance: no cutting around fat or a big hunk of bone (my pet peeve with the porterhouse).

I completely agree with you.

12. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

Wow, no one here likes a thick, fat piece of NY Striploin?

Grilled Prime Rib and Filet Mignon are my second favorites, but still...

13. cchen

cchen Senior member

I would take any cut of kobe beef over any cut of usda prime. hell, even the kobe beef tongue is delicious.

14. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Wow, no one here likes a thick, fat piece of NY Striploin?

Grilled Prime Rib and Filet Mignon are my second favorites, but still...

ahem, see #20