• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite/instinctive curse words?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earlier today I almost severed a fingernail in a combine accident, or something like that, which naturally caused me to employ a few choice curse words.
blush.gif

Subsequent comment on the event queried my language choice.

Not to put too fine a point on it ( it would be rather a challenge... ) the oft-employed 'Curb' word of the same initial letter and number of letters, but used in the gerund seems to have crept into my cursing vocabulary. I appreciate many people find the base form extremely offensive (as witnessed in a thread a few weeks ago) so I refrain from printing it here.

An ex-flatmate trained herself (?) to substitute her instinctive curse word vocabulary for some neutral and perfectly acceptable word in its place. So, instead of saying the f-word, she would say 'fffflip' or some similar nonsense.
crackup[1].gif

Depending upon the company, I find it comforting to know that I can curse inanimate objects quite safely in another language, Italian, without the risk of offending anyone: when I'm around my family for instance.

So, what 'filth' naturally pours forth when you oh, I don't know, break that lace on the new EGs or even something much less traumatising?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Earlier today I almost severed a fingernail in a combine accident, or something like that, which naturally caused me to employ a few choice curse words.
blush.gif

Subsequent comment on the event queried my language choice.

Not to put too fine a point on it ( it would be rather a challenge... ) the oft-employed 'Curb' word of the same initial letter and number of letters, but used in the gerund seems to have crept into my cursing vocabulary. I appreciate many people find the base form extremely offensive (as witnessed in a thread a few weeks ago) so I refrain from printing it here.

An ex-flatmate trained herself (?) to substitute her instinctive curse word vocabulary for some neutral and perfectly acceptable word in its place. So, instead of saying the f-word, she would say 'fffflip' or some similar nonsense.
crackup[1].gif

Depending upon the company, I find it comforting to know that I can curse inanimate objects quite safely in another language, Italian, without the risk of offending anyone: when I'm around my family for instance.

So, what 'filth' naturally pours forth when you oh, I don't know, break that lace on the new EGs or even something much less traumatising?

Well, the "f-word" springs unbidden to my lips more often than I'd like (now that I'm a parent.)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your considerately oblique reference, but I admit I was unaware that the "c-word" could function as a gerund.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I tend to blurt out some variation of "Jesus motherfucking Christ" or "God ******* dammit" without thinking about it. I seem to have a blasphemous streak. I attribute it to being a pastor's kid. I've tried to really curb that reaction when I'm not around people I know for certain won't be offended, though.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well, the "f-word" springs unbidden to my lips more often than I'd like (now that I'm a parent.)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your considerately oblique reference, but I admit I was unaware that the "c-word" could function as a gerund.

No offence intended, but you are American, right? Flexibility of what can and can't be done to/with a language should be an issue?

It does sound rather impressive when emitted under suitable circumstances.

aybojs

Reaction score
I think getting into a fuss over cursing is just silly in general. To steal from what I saw on the Penn & Teller's Bullshit! episode on the topic, the word choice is arbitrary, and you'll probably find some way to offend someone no matter what you say.

I remember they interviewed a woman who made a big deal about trying to get people to stop using, "God" as an interjection because she thought it was blasphemous. So she suggested people say something like "Holy Cow!" instead, but, as P&T pointed out, her less harmful phrase could still be perceived as blasphemous to Hindus, for example, and only showed that she only gave a **** about her own personal offense and didn't really care if what she said could be offensive to others who didn't share her background.

The way I see it, even if you're using a softer word, you're still engaging in a visible outburst of anger when you curse. If that's not a big deal to you , then don't waste your time worrying over what word might pop out; if it is, then concentrate on managing your anger better instead of going for the easier diversion of just trying to pick a different word to express it.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
I think getting into a fuss over cursing is just silly in general. To steal from what I saw on the Penn & Teller's Bullshit! episode on the topic, the word choice is arbitrary, and you'll probably find some way to offend someone no matter what you say.

I remember they interviewed a woman who made a big deal about trying to get people to stop using, "God" as an interjection because she thought it was blasphemous. So she suggested people say something like "Holy Cow!" instead, but, as P&T pointed out, her less harmful phrase could still be perceived as blasphemous to Hindus, for example, and only showed that she only gave a **** about her own personal offense and didn't really care if what she said could be offensive to others who didn't share her background.

The way I see it, even if you're using a softer word, you're still engaging in a visible outburst of anger when you curse. If that's not a big deal to you , then don't waste your time worrying over what word might pop out; if it is, then concentrate on managing your anger better instead of going for the easier diversion of just trying to pick a different word to express it.

that was a good episode. good points you make, too.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
When directed at a person, either the C-word, or Box...as in "Nice going you dumb box!"
Thanks. Maybe I've been laboring under a false impression since 10th grade English as to what a gerund is? I certainly understand it can be used as a noun, perjoratively or otherwise, and that it may be used figuratively when directed toward a person. But does not using it as a gerund presuppose it normally would be used as a verb? If you call me an idiot, I don't think you're using "idiot" as a gerund. If you complain about the "pendantic babbling of that idiot lawyerdad", then "babbling" would be a gerund, no?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
No offence intended, but you are American, right? Flexibility of what can and can't be done to/with a language should be an issue?

It does sound rather impressive when emitted under suitable circumstances.

I am American, and no offense taken. My point/question was even narrower and grammar-geekier than I think you realize. Aside from the possible issue of sensitivity to the feelings of others, I am in favor of linguistic flexibility think you should be able to do whatever the **** you want with language to express yourself. I think we just have different understandings of what a "gerund" is, and since I don't see how the word can function as a gerund as I understand that term, I was wondering if you had found some creative usage that I've never run across.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
that was a good episode. good points you make, too.
This point was central to much of Lenny Bruce's work. His "cooltrucker" routine (I've read the transcript but am not sure I've ever heard it, assuming it was recorded) is a brilliant riff on this point, especially when considered in the context of the ongoing attempts to prosecute him for violating obscenity laws.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I am American, and no offense taken. My point/question was even narrower and grammar-geekier than I think you realize. Aside from the possible issue of sensitivity to the feelings of others, I am in favor of linguistic flexibility think you should be able to do whatever the **** you want with language to express yourself. I think we just have different understandings of what a "gerund" is, and since I don't see how the word can function as a gerund as I understand that term, I was wondering if you had found some creative usage that I've never run across.
No, I get your point.
Language evolves, obviously, and who knows what will be in Webster or the OED in thirty or so years. I realise the gerund form of the word can come from the verb, and 'to c***' does not exist, to my knowledge. Yet. I'm not making a claim to be the first user of the form or any such grand claim, but
what's to say someone else won't pick it up and employ it in an otherwise grammatically correct sentence, in a similar context to the '****' gerund?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
GDMFSOBPOS! (Acronym)

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I tend to blurt out some variation of "Jesus motherfucking Christ"

I like that. I will incorporate it.
bigstar[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
It inspired a blaspheming contest between myself and a friend once, actually. We're both clearly going to Hell, and whatever the equivalent is for Hindus, too. I think we covered a pretty wide range, actually.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
usually a good ol' fashion "Godammit" suffices for me. i'll occasionally throw in a "Scheiße" thinking that i'm being discreet. and of course, once in awhile, the "****" hits the fan, so to speak.

-Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads